Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Fasty Danish barn find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
({[ Check your parts folks...new doesn’t mean good! ]})
Oh my does that statement hold true. I have a story about new rear drums.
Ya they were new alright, not centric at all, or for the common folk out of round.
Your engine is soo factory!

Good lesson to reuse your OG parts & not buy new everything just because it is available! Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Tram and I have been saying that for years. You know things are messed up when the repop companies can't get the simple things right. d'oh!

Yes it is irritating to say the least. Had the same issue with rear drums and other parts...ended up using my originals which are just fine. You would think with the apparent resurgence in popularity of our rides, the manufacturers could step up thier game just a tad. It’s one of the reasons it’s taken me 4 years to get to this point. Finding year correct, original and usable parts is challenging expensive and very time consuming, but worth it.

I just read an article that Porsche dealers in the US will be offering repair and resto services for the classic models. I wonder where thier parts will come from...
1968 Mercedes 230 "Heckflosse"
1970 Type 3 Fastback 1600 TA L60D
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Hi all!
Just returned from an epic trip to the May 1st. VW show in Hannover. Some really spectacular Type 3’s on display. While there I met up with Mario and collected some parts.

I also picked up a really nice, low mileage front beam at last! While cleaning it up, I uncovered a dent (just slightly larger than an M10 bolt head) in the lower section just under the steering box mount point. First I thought no biggie.... until I tried removing the torsion arm and rod. It pulls free from the splines just fine, but the dent prevents the the spline end from passing so I can’t extract the assembly from the beam.

Would you more experienced folks weld a bolt and try and pull it out or what might be the best way to remove that dent?

Here is the rascal causing trouble and also the original inked serial number and a stamped #2 - anyone know of the serial number is specific to a car or year? Does the 2 signify anything?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

You might want to talk to Mario about it. I only say that, as you could weld a bolt or something into the dent, but you'd need a rosebud tip on a torch to pull it out. The big problem is the inner bush right next to that dent is phenolic, and might burn from the heat needed to get the dent out. Yes, I do realize there's a needle bearing inside for the trailing arms to sit on/in, but the bearing sits in the phenolic bushing. If Mario can get you a NOS bushing and a reamer, then I'd try and fix it. Otherwise I'd return it. That's just me though. I'll let the others chime in as well, and see what they think (like Tram and or Pedro).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I should clarify that the beam did not come from Mario. I found it from another of the sellers at the show. I’m thinking I can just tack a bolt on the dent and pull it with a slide hammer.

Do you think the heat from a tack weld would damage the inner bush?

I measured the trailing arm and bush location. The bush is about 17cm from the thrust surface inward and placed in the lower inner section. The dent is 14cm from the thrust edge and on the outer beam housing only so I’m thinking it will be ok. Thoughts?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Dlglobal1 wrote:
Thanks Bob. I should clarify that the beam did not come from Mario. I found it from another of the sellers at the show. I’m thinking I can just tack a bolt on the dent and pull it with a slide hammer.

Do you think the heat from a tack weld would damage the inner bush?

I measured the trailing arm and bush location. The bush is about 17cm from the thrust surface inward and placed in the lower inner section. The dent is 14cm from the thrust edge and on the outer beam housing only so I’m thinking it will be ok. Thoughts?

Put a wet rag between the dent and the bushing. Closer to the end of the bushing to keep heat off the bushing, and you should be ok. Try to limit the amount of heat/time it's hot. Then give it a go. You might get lucky and it'll move just enough.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

I know from experience that the phenolic bushings in there won’t survive the 400F or so associated with a powder coat oven,
So be careful.

Unless you can find another bushing to push in there afterwards..

It would surprise me if you can get that dent out without a lot of heat,
Unless it’s a good distance from the bushing.
Maybe there’s room for a wet rag or that asbestos packing that welders use..?

Might be able to get a bolt welded to the bottom of the dent,
And then grab it with a slide hammer..?

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

I -think- it was ‘Yabbadubbadoo’ or someone in Oz who had made these bushings?

Ideally, you would put in a whole new set of bushes, right?

What’s That Noise?!?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

I wound up making inner bushings out of oil impregnated bronze.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=...ze#7984686

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I know from experience that the phenolic bushings in there won’t survive the 400F or so associated with a powder coat oven,
So be careful.

Thanks for the info. The bushings and trailing arms are in good shape, show no significant wear. Inside of the beam is very clean and packed with grease so that will be fun cleaning. My plan was to clean and paint the beam not powder coat it.

I’ll shove a wet rag in there, weld up a bolt on the dent and pull it. The dent is not at the bushing location.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Dlglobal1 wrote:
Clatter wrote:
So be careful.

Thanks for the info. The bushings and trailing arms are in good shape, show no significant wear. Inside of the beam is very clean and packed with grease so that will be fun cleaning. My plan was to clean and paint the beam not powder coat it.

I’ll shove a wet rag in there, weld up a bolt on the dent and pull it. The dent is not at the bushing location.

If everything is good clean and tight, I'd be tempted to leave the dent alone. It would be a shame to screw up an otherwise clean beam.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Progress is progress....finally finished restoring beam #3. The dent came out very easily. Welded a bolt and gently rocked it until the dent was gone.

I cleaned all the old grease out and checked the bearings and bushings which were like new. I used Superlube which seems very good. Cleaned and plated all the original bolts, new ball joints and it’s ready for install.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Dlglobal1 wrote:
Progress is progress....finally finished restoring beam #3. The dent came out very easily. Welded a bolt and gently rocked it until the dent was gone.

I cleaned all the old grease out and checked the bearings and bushings which were like new. I used Superlube which seems very good. Cleaned and plated all the original bolts, new ball joints and it’s ready for install.

Glad to hear you got the dent out.
As for that inked number on the beam, according to Russ, the VW dealership would record that number in their files. Don't know what they did with it afterward, but that's what they did with them. It doesn't match up with any VIN numbers either, so it's just a beam number. Maybe it's used to designate whether it's been replaced. IDK. Tram??
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

You have to do good/clean work for those European VW Shows! Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

I wonder if the number stamped on the beam is a production number. Perhaps done similar to the I.O. on the engine after final inspection?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Nice work.

Love seeing those bits together all pretty and clean..

Beautiful.

What’s That Noise?!?
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Haven’t posted anything in ages...so thought I’d pick up where I left off after repairing the front beam. It’s been sitting on the bench since last winter. I wanted the removal and install to be as easy as possible, so decided to make the VW 613 “Front Axle Cradle”. Super happy with the result, and it’s made removal a breeze.

Once removed, I focused on the tie rods. Here is where I need some help. Seems the outer ends are peened from the factory (I believe these are the original ends as all are stamped with a VW logo). These do not appear to have been removed before. What is the removal procedure? The left inner angled end came off easily, the rest are stuck and won’t budge. Heat, penetrating oil are not working. Are our tie rods interchangeable with any other VW? New replacements available?

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

The outer, or straight tie rod ends are the same as a bug.The lengths are different on the tubular part. It might be worth checking with Mario to see if he has any parts. Or maybe contact Heritage parts.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Dlglobal1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. I have new tie rod ends, including the elusive angle left inner. The issue is I can’t get the old ends off. Both outer ends on the tubular rod have been peened so a bit stumped as to how to get the old ends off.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fasty Danish barn find Reply with quote

Heat!

Get that thing glowing red hot and it will come free.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: