Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AR-15 builders
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stealth67vw wrote:
crofty wrote:
Looks great. Helps to be a machinist too, I bet!
It helps, but there are guys doing the lowers with drill presses and routers. Shocked

Yikes.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
stealth67vw wrote:
crofty wrote:
Looks great. Helps to be a machinist too, I bet!
It helps, but there are guys doing the lowers with drill presses and routers. Shocked

Yikes.

It's not as bad as it sounds. I've seen two side by side. One done with a bridgeport, the other with a router. There really wasn't much of a difference. A lot of the machining jigs are pretty nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cannot tell if a part is machined vs. done by hand, then the machine work is bad. Laughing

There is no mistaking fine machine work. And endmill pass w/ new cutter will be something to behold vs. done by the best file-job.

While you can do the fire-control cavity by hand, does not mean you should.

I am working on several 80% lowers for my own useage and I machine them from the original configuration from an actual finished part. I indicate the finished part and then lay the 80% on there on that same setup. The variance will be very small.

I like the hammer cavity to be perfect. I do not want to do them like Saturday night specials.

Building the dedicated 22lr upper for my trigger practice. Douglas barrel, NM. I inherited the used barrel but I put the rest up from spares.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

I found this "off-topic" thread awhile back but haven't posted yet just in case I messed something up when building my rifle.

This past spring I decided to build an AR15 after seeing them drop in price. Plus it was a good way to extend my working knowledge of firearms.

Here is my rifle:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It consists of a Palmetto State 5.56 stainless upper with a Vortex scope and a Tennessee Arms Company lower.

The upper is your basic 16" 1:7 twist PSA that I sighted in at 100yds for target shooting and varmint hunting.

The lower was made by TN Arms Co. Their video showing it handle a .50BMG upper and full auto sold me on getting one for my first build. Why would some random video sway me towards buying it?

Their lower isn't aluminum like everybody else. It's made of a lightweight polymer that is reinforced with nylon and all the threaded areas have brass inserts for strength. They have all the industry standard colors instead of just black like Anderson or Spikes, etc. Plus it has a lifetime warranty. I didn't really see a no questions asked warranty with some of the aluminum ones when looking around. I haven't done it yet, but they laser engrave whatever you want on the magwell for a very nominal fee. I'm thinking some sort of VW logo for my next rifle, but haven't decided on which version from the history of the company. Also, after holding my lower and a stripped 7076 forged lower in my hands, mine was substantially lighter.

Earlier this month I noticed that mine was part of a recall they had for earlier versions where the buffer detent hole the potential to not be perfectly aligned causing some buffer wear. I sent them a message about my problem and they told me send it back and we'll get you a new one ASAP. This reply was within maybe 2 hours. Within 4 business days I had a replacement of the current perfected version in my hands to reassemble. To me that's a pretty awesome business and customer relationship. I do my best to get back to folks about the Amish canvases in 24 hours. I'm going to try to get down to this short of a turn around for my replies.

One awesome thing they have going on for Black Friday is a huge sale. A single lower for $35 or a trio of lowers for $100.50 in whatever color you want from their inventory. That's a bit less than I paid for mine and definitely less than most anything else on the market with a comparable warranty.

If you Volks have any questions about the lower or want more photos, let me know and I'll try to answer and post some more.

A.K.A.: "Doc", "Subwoofer Nick", "the LEAKOIL parts whore", "Amish canvas connection"
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

At those prices, you might as well go w/ aluminum. A LOT more durable.

Firearms are supposed to last awhile for obvious reasons, maybe save your life someday.

Have never been impressed w/ polymers. Now if the purpose is for some 'throw-away item', sure polymer. Laughing

I chose key-hole blank lowers. They are used by RRA, Colt, Bushmaster and all the other high-end builders. The rest I do not care for.

For my New Year's project, I am building a longrange AR10.
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
At those prices, you might as well go w/ aluminum. A LOT more durable.

Firearms are supposed to last awhile for obvious reasons, maybe save your life someday.

Have never been impressed w/ polymers. Now if the purpose is for some 'throw-away item', sure polymer. Laughing

I chose key-hole blank lowers. They are used by RRA, Colt, Bushmaster and all the other high-end builders. The rest I do not care for.

For my New Year's project, I am building a longrange AR10.
If you are doing an 80% AR-10 be aware there are at least 4 different configurations. Armalite and at least 3 different DPMS style. The Keyhole is Cerro Forge USA. Colt uses there own forging. I have a Colt marked C AF. Tactical Machining has Keyhole 80% AR-15 lowers for $29.00 if you buy 3 or more. http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-products/80-ar15-lower-receivers/80-ar-15-lower-receiver-52.html

Here is a list of forging marks.
A (splintered) = Anchor Harvey Aluminum
AF = Alcoa Forge
C AF = Colt Alco Forge
C MB = Colt / Mueller Brass
Cardinal (stylized) = Cardinal Forge
CH = Colt Harvey Aluminum
Circle/Crosshairs w/"AR" = ArmaLite
CK = Colt / Kaiser Aluminum
CM = Colt / Martin Marietta
D (stylized) = Diemaco
DK = Diemaco / Kaiser Aluminum
E = Emco
EK = EMCO/Kaiser
E MB = EMCO/Mueller Brass
F keyhole = FNMI / Cerro Forge
FA = FNMI / Anchor Harvey
FK = FNMI / Kaiser Aluminum
FM = FN/Martin Marietta
FMB = FNMI / Mueller Brass
Keyhole = Cerro Forge
L = Lewis Machine & Tool
LK = LAR / Kaiser Aluminum
LM = LAR / Martin Marietta
M (under diamond) = Mueller Industries
PA = Capco / Anchor Harvey
PM = Capco / Martin Marietta
Square= BASE
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

All my AR15 uppers are all USGI issues. FN keyholes blacks and greys. Then I have early FK the light green ones raised markings. I used these on my highpower competition rifles. Then I have Colt early A2s uppers.

All my barrels are 3S679 or FNMI govt profiles 1/7 twist. I do own a stock Colt heavy barrel 1/7 twist chrome-lined

All my BCGs are original FN or Advance Ordinance or Colt. All heavy machine gun bolt carriers. All bolts are MPE or MPF or Colt

All my buffer tubes are USGI greys for the 20" rifles.

All my carbines have the early Armalite "B-marking" aluminum collapsible stocks. I even have few of the original fiberlites stocks.

Even my buffers are Vietnam issue NOS units. These have the different shade green/gray colors still in paper wraper marked 60's or 70's.

I only trust USGI units for the AR15s.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

My AR10 projects will use the Matrix Aerospace upper/lower combos. These are the same castings as the Armalite and machined the same. Also these are Keyhole forgings (Cerro)

For barrels, I might have to go w/ Armalite or custom heavy bull barrel 5R riflings. Trigger, gotta go w/ Geisselle.

yea, I know of the different combos available for the AR10s and they do not mix. The matrix and armalite will mix..all the same nuts/threads.

It gets more involved when you finally decide on the barrel maker. Make sure to get the same bolt and carrier group.

I find building rifles more fun than building engines last few years. Very Happy
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EODinert wrote:
Last, on the left, the Honeybeaver. Sporting a 7.5 inch 5.56 barrel (at the moment), and a funky Canadian stock that looks better than it works.

That "Canadian stock" looks very similar to a Troy M7A1 PDW stock
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

SWEET!!!

I am almost done w/ my M1A Super-Match. I am building it from scratch w/ picked USGI parts. Heavy Barnett/Douglas Match barrel 1/10 twist.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

Here in Vegas for the next few days attending SHOT Show 2016. Lots of new "stuff' to look at. Surprising news to me is that FNH announced their plans to offer a M249 firearm semi-auto for civilians. I'll post pics when I get back after the weekend
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

that will be awesome! I will be interested in that. Very Happy

Belt-fed?
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

Any of y'all got any good recommendations on bipods?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

I just finished this one. Tactical Machining 80% lower, Tactical Machining upper, Noveske black nitrided bolt carrier group, Vltor/Noveske charge handle, Palmetto State Armory Mil Spec lower parts kit, Magpul STR buttstock and MOE pistol grip, Ballistic Advantage Hanson profile 416R stainless 16" barrel chambered in .223 Wylde, Mid length gas system, pinned low profile gas block, A1 flash hider, Guntec 12" free float hand guard and topped with a Vortex Strike Fire 2 red/green dot optic.

7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

My 6 year old son August was so excited to shoot, he started his own 80% lower. Since he is a lefty, we are doing a Stag Arms left hand upper.

7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

that is awesome! excellent work. nice mill too.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

i make castings for AR10 kits from time to time. very cool stuff.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
that is awesome! excellent work. nice mill too.
Thanks, it's a 1979 Bridgeport 2J2 9 x 48 with a Prototrak Plus 2 axis CNC control.
7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

Very nice mill! Love looking at a nice machinetool.

Looks like California is going after the 80% lowers, again, and declare them all 'firearms'. They are looking to include misdemeanor offenses to undo your 2A rights. Unbelievable.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AR-15 builders Reply with quote

I have a lot of guns but just never wanted an AR. Maybe if I shot one sometime I might change my mind. The guys really like shooting my Mini 14 and then there's my M1A....
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: