Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600 DP Upgrades for a bus with big nut trans
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: 1600 DP Upgrades for a bus with big nut trans Reply with quote

So, my DC is getting here soon. It has a good running 1600DP. I want to add a little more power but I know that trans is going to limit me.

I have access to some 40IDF's. I've run 40's on a 1600DP in a squareback with good results, but not in a bus. Dual Carbs do seem to keep it a little cooler, and I like IDF's and DRLA's better than kads. Id rather use Dellorto 36's but the 40 IDF's are available to me.

Anything else I should do? I guess probably ditch the stock exhaust if needed. Would 1.25 rockers make sense to do in a bus with redux boxes? What distributor should I run if I'm doing IDF's, rockers, and exhaust? 010 or 019? or something else?

I usually like to keep it stock, but a little more oomph in a bus is always a good thing, within reason to keep it reliable and cool

Thanks
Erik G
jeff mays
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 010 and like it a lot! I am also thinking that adding a nice cam would help.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats why I asked about rockers, I'm ok with adding bolt on stuff but not splitting the case on this one. Maybe down the line I'll build something a little bigger, but not for a year or till it breaks

My buddy that grew up in shrevport says there are no VW's down there any more. Is he BS'ing me? My DC was actually sent to NOLA from the factory, might have to take it on a nice drive from Houston
jeff mays
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in shreveport I have never seen another split window bus, have seen bay windows and beetles here and there and I have had ppl tell me that they have seen a red and white splitty in bossier city.
my 67 13 window deluxe was shipped into new orleans aswell!

let me know if you do the rocker arm upgrade I am wondering if that would help my 1641.

If your ever in shreveport pm me.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else? It's not a stroker but someone has to have some thoughts.

I'm thinking add the 40IDF's, 1.25 rockers, a header and muffler

anyone see issues with running this in an early double cab with late big nut reduction boxes?
auslander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without splitting the case the most you could do is:

The 40IDF carbs they have a vacum port so i would also put a 034 vacum advacne distributor.

Header and exhuaust single quiet pack is perfect

87MM C/P

1.25 Rockers

Oil breather box

If you take the heads off to upgrade the c/p , i would clean the ports on the heads or get some head work done on them.

I had an the exact upgrades but with a 34 pict carb in a 67Westy with bignut tranny. It was a stump puller, one of the best engines i ever had.

66 POS Bus
69 Class 11 Beetle
71 Cat-Look Beetle
64 Old Skool Baja
74 "Swamp" Thing

!!! F**k Cancer !!!
Time's Tide will Smother You
"You can't throw a rock in Long Beach without hitting a tweaker" Steve Tucci
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very timely information. I'm in the process of getting a little more out of the same setup here.

I think I'm going to go with Baby Dells or Webers, a Header and 1.4 rockers.

According to my engine guy it should really wake a 1600 up.

NAES
SBS #00
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dude. I don't know if there is a vacume port or not, my last set didn't.

I've seen the new slip in 87's Chico is selling. They sound good. I could see those, 1.25's, header, muffler or maybe the vintage speed,, and the heads upgraded to bigger valves.

Just haven't know anyone to actually did that so thanks buddy, hope you are doing well and staying off of bikes or away from cars lol Smile
laker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAES wrote:
Very timely information. I'm in the process of getting a little more out of the same setup here.

I think I'm going to go with Baby Dells or Webers, a Header and 1.4 rockers.

According to my engine guy it should really wake a 1600 up.

NAES

Go with the webers 40IDF's or HPMX (better performance and gas mileage once tuned right), also 1.4 rockres you will have to cut he pushrod length and play with the geometry of the valve train (pain in the ass if you are not used to it)...you will here that 1.25 is not that beneficial compare to 1.4 ( i tried both on a 1600 dp a while back and i could tell the difference going from 1.1 to 1.25 and not so much from 1.25 to 1.4, just not worth the hassel in IMO for the difference).

i would use a 034 Dist. again better gas mileage and low end performance on a 1600...make sure the carbs you get are set-up with a vacuum advance port.

If you are going to pull the heads. then you can get a good 3 angle valve job and set your C/R to 8.25 and that will help also.

Some kind of performance exhaust system (maybe a tri-mil, they are pretty good quality and won't brake the bank).

Not to overlooked, make sure the valves are adjusted, timing is set right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: