Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CSP Linkage
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: CSP Linkage Reply with quote

Anyone try the T3 specific bell crank linkage yet? Just ordered one from Pierside.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it goes. Has a provision for the return spring just like the T1 style. Very high quality. I feel it's higher than my T1. The only issue I seem to be having is that the screw that attaches to the arms bumps into the Dellorto idle speed screw bosses and doesn't allow full throttle. The'll need to be cut down a bit at the threads.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really nice!
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you run it from the stock PDSIT linkage location at the rear? or does it have to be set up like that to work?

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any advantage to running this style linkage versus the normal hex bar type setup?
2018 VW Atlas SE VR6 4Motion
2019 VW Beetle S Final Edition Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
qoopwn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Can you run it from the stock PDSIT linkage location at the rear? or does it have to be set up like that to work?

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe running it in the stock position will help the OP with the clearance issues?
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qoopwn wrote:
W1K1 wrote:

Thats what I was thinking. Maybe running it in the stock position will help the OP with the clearance issues?

Funny you ask. I set it up in that area at first without looking at the instructions and it bolted in place just fine. It seems as if the linkage rods will come into contact with the cylinder tins though. Also I'm wondering if the stock cable would reach, or if it's too long in the place that it is now.

I believe CSP uses this linkage also for Porsche shrouds.

I chose not to use the CB linkage because that I've read on here that the linkage bumps the underside of the lid unless modified. Also, the crossbar sits crooked unless additional parts are purchased.

I'll add some more pics soon.
68notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fitted this CSP linkage with Dellorto's too and had the same small issue with the ball stud thread on the arm touched the carb but this just needed a bit of a grind and it works fine.

Although I am now a little disappointed to see that yours has this return spring on the centre pivot as mine did not come with that!! I did find that the original Dell return springs are not strong enough and so I have added a third spring hanging off the centre pivot.

Otherwise they are all good.

Also I am pretty sure they can only mount at the rear (front) of the engine as they are designed to fix to those particular case bolts.

68 Aussie notch
2011 Citroen Berlingo

https://www.facebook.com/Fastacraft

RHD dash pad project http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475227
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did not come with it. At Pierside, you can buy one and install it yourself for 5 bucks. Yes, that's the problem that I have to fix. I'm not going to modify the carb body. Just the linkage.

Also, the center piece CAN bolt on toward the front of the case. It's just the rods that will not clear the tins.
68notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
It did not come with it. At Pierside, you can buy one and install it yourself for 5 bucks. Yes, that's the problem that I have to fix. I'm not going to modify the carb body. Just the linkage.

Also, the center piece CAN bolt on toward the front of the case. It's just the rods that will not clear the tins.

Ok, I'm on it then.

I just ground the end of the ball stud down, not the carb!

68 Aussie notch
2011 Citroen Berlingo

https://www.facebook.com/Fastacraft

RHD dash pad project http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475227
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's it new in the pack. Took a month to get here. Phew!

Here's me installing the spring.

The base's provision for the return spring:

Here's the bellcrank in the wrong place. Fits fine. Just the rods are an issue.

It is for a Porsche as well:

Here's a crappy pic of the arm bumping the boss.

A picture of the boss. Throttle is in the closed position here.

Ok here's the height of the linkage at the edge of the tins. Four inches. On the other side, see how it won't clear? The #4 side of the tin is over 4 1/2 inches tall. With mods it will work, but I'm lazy sometimes, so this will work for this engine.

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to cut the threads down to clear the boss, but found an easier way to fix:

I just added two 5mm washers to shim it away.
qoopwn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it all good now? In the pic with the linkage attached and the carbs on the car, it looks backwards to me but maybe I'm just looking at it wrong o.o

edit** I just saw the instructions on the piece of paper for the linkage, you have it in the right spot. I was mixed up, under the impression it was supposed to rest on the same studs for the stock linkage.
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you purchase this linkage kit from? And will it fit a set of DRLA 40's?
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i beleive peirsideparts as well as many other vendors carry it. it's basiclly the t4 linkage and it works for t3 also. theres been several guys on shoptalkforums using it on t3 for several years. i think it's just now finally being promoted to work on both. and yes on the DRLAs. i'm thhinking about switching to this linkage at some point myself...ken....
gtixpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one? http://www.piersideparts.net/CSP129941400.html

It's hard to tell with the pictures on there if it is the same as the installed pictures above.
DKKWorm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the incorrect one. I don't think you want the Type 4 version. The Bell Crank unit bolts to the case differently. I am currently in process of installing the Type 1 Porsche Fan shroud for IDF version. Theres quite a bit of tweeking so far. It looks like it will work really well. It is not a simple project with 42 DCNF's. Ill post when undated.
DKKWorm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't take many pics sorry. It took a few days of off and on tinkering but its in and works great so far. I purchased the Porsche fan shroud for IDF kit. I was told to use all the bits from the kit but there was no way the throttle levers included in the kit would have worked on my set up. The levers in the kit were flat and would not clear anywhere on either side. My carbs already had on them the S shaped throttle levers that protrude out from the body to add clearance for the accelerator pump etc. So I slightly opened the hole in them so the included swivel arm sockets would slip into the holes. This was really the only mod.
I purchased the return spring that CIP shows as an addition to the kit. It is helpful but not near strong enough to work on it's own, so I added another spring to the unit. I did add a few washers to the arm ends at the carb so the nut would clear the acc. pump. I can say that one of the rods is just a bit short. I wish more thread was inside the socket on the 1-2 side. I would have liked to have another 1/4" or more. Maybe one day I will make up a linkage rod a touch longer. But with the set nut tightened it appears to be solid enough. This linkage is SMOOTHE. It will take some tinkering but well worth the effort.

Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKKWorm wrote:
I didn't take many pics sorry. It took a few days of off and on tinkering but its in and works great so far. I purchased the Porsche fan shroud for IDF kit. I was told to use all the bits from the kit but there was no way the throttle levers included in the kit would have worked on my set up. The levers in the kit were flat and would not clear anywhere on either side. My carbs already had on them the S shaped throttle levers that protrude out from the body to add clearance for the accelerator pump etc. So I slightly opened the hole in them so the included swivel arm sockets would slip into the holes. This was really the only mod.
I purchased the return spring that CIP shows as an addition to the kit. It is helpful but not near strong enough to work on it's own, so I added another spring to the unit. I did add a few washers to the arm ends at the carb so the nut would clear the acc. pump. I can say that one of the rods is just a bit short. I wish more thread was inside the socket on the 1-2 side. I would have liked to have another 1/4" or more. Maybe one day I will make up a linkage rod a touch longer. But with the set nut tightened it appears to be solid enough. This linkage is SMOOTHE. It will take some tinkering but well worth the effort.

Props for making it work with DCNF's, but why did you put the float bowls facing inward? It would be a total PITA to make any adjustments to the mixture screws or air bypasses with them on the outside.
DKKWorm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of room.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: