Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas tank and fuel pump
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boomer1389
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Gas tank and fuel pump Reply with quote

Does anybody have a picture of the mounting supports they used to hold their fuel tank up under the hood? I'm assuming the fiberglass is not strong enough on it's own.

Does anybody also have pictures where and how they installed their electric fuel pump and how they routed the fuel line?

Thank You.
pallen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ecotec Street Rail Build > http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8146270#8146270
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always mounted it in the spot that was made for it without a frame. It has always been strong enough.

Nothing wrong with adding some extra though. Most people strengthen their buggies with some steel in one way or another.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Most" FG buggy bodies mount tank in cutout provided with no additional support or any need for any.... IN all the buggies I have worked on they have always just directly mounted to body "tub" in front "kick wall" .... Only thing I found as plus to stop body movement/vibration was to put a couple of brackets from FG apron in front of tank to the two threaded stubs on front beam.... But it was not to support tank, but to stop fenders from flopping around....

IF going to install electric fuel pump just put it on open pan area in front of kick wall, behind beam, behind right front wheel/tire....Electric fuel pumps push not such fuel so pump needs to be hear tank as possible/practical....

There is nothing wrong with VW mechanical pump, it will supply up to 2300cc engines with dual 48IDA carbs..... Only reason to go electric pump is if you need high pressure with EFI... OR just do not want a ugly pump on engine...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tank is mounted directly to the fiberglass. I drove it that way for a year but got tired of the tank hitting the steering coupler and the headlights bouncing around on rough roads, so I made some Z brackets to support the front (just like what Dale is talking about). It really stiffened up the front and made it feel like a different car.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
My tank is mounted directly to the fiberglass. I drove it that way for a year but got tired of the tank hitting the steering coupler and the headlights bouncing around on rough roads, so I made some Z brackets to support the front (just like what Dale is talking about). It really stiffened up the front and made it feel like a different car.

YES!.....

Also when bolting through fiberglass use a rubber washer and big round "fender washer" on glass side to lessen the stress around hole and to allow some (but not to much) flex for body section....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make mine so that it runs across the front of the fuel tank picking up the full width of the tank for support. Mount it off of the beam body mount threaded inserts. Nice firm place to mount the horn and pick up ground for the headlights. Acts as a wiring harness support too.

This is on the current buggy I am close to completing. 1 1/2 inch angle, 2 short pieces of 1" tubing and two 3/16 thick tabs.

Here is wvbowtieman front support. His also acts as the headlight support. Super strong and his lights do not flop around.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
boomer1389
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the ideas....Does anybody have any picture of their electric fuel pump location and how they routed the fuel line?
vincent9993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boomer1389 wrote:
Thank you for the ideas....Does anybody have any picture of their electric fuel pump location and how they routed the fuel line?

I was trying to lay low and I was afraid the fuel pump question would resurface in this thread. Before someone does it for me, I'll reply myself.

Link
boomer1389
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vincent9993 wrote:
boomer1389 wrote:

I was trying to lay low and I was afraid the fuel pump question would resurface in this thread. Before someone does it for me, I'll reply myself.

Link

I seen the video and I'm definitely not putting in the tunnel.

Vince, I don't think you will ever live that down Laughing
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mounted mine on my current buggy on the bat wing up front just below the tank. The rear has a fuel shut off valve and a fuel filter mounted to the bottom of the rear seat/deck just before the engine. It is mounted on rubber to reduce the noise transfer.

I am also using the best fuel line I could buy. It was $ 4.00 per foot, but I am only using around 3 foot total. It is Ethanol safe for what ever happens in the future.

Here is where I mounted it on my first buggy in 2006. On top of the tranny mounted to the factory loop/hole cast in the top. That way it was grounded, mounted on a rubber isolated item to reduce noise and well protected.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ElijahTurtle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, I never even considered this issue. Good ideas! I'll have to factor these ideas in when I am ready to reassemble my buggy. Long way from that, but never hurts to think ahead.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my mounting.
It's for fuel injection though. Short gravity hose to the pump and high pressure all the way back.
I think if I had to I could change it out from the side, but I can pull my hood in 1 minute and have the tank out in less than five minutes.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just to illustrate the location. Place the pump close to the tank. Most electric pumps are "pushers". I filter before and after the pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: