Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another no spark thread
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Yet another no spark thread Reply with quote

85 automatic Digijet - bone stock - no spark

Typical ran when parked van.

Fresh fully charged battery, swapped in coils, ignition modules, dizzlies.

Not the relays, didn't think about that cause there was 12 volts going to the various places we expect. Ground referenced to chassis and engine to be sure. I probed the various connectors with boots pulled back. Normal.

I have read many no spark threads and my search shows 140 threads with no spark in them and a good dozen direct hits.

I have not made the crazy Mark test harness yet as I just saw that as I was reading in peace.

Again, nor the relays - got to find that box.......

So I will be making the test harness.......but what else do I want to consider? I have not been this stumped in years. My VW master tech friend with 30+ years of experience scratched his head too. So what did I miss????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Yet another no spark thread Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

Not the relays,
. . .

Again, nor the relays

When I've been stumped by a no-spark vanagon, I eventually discovered that it was not the relays, but instead it was the wiring and /or pin connectors to the relays. Try wiggling the wires to the relays, squeezing the female end of the connectors tighter together, etc.

I know you already said it can't be the relays. But when I was in the same situation, it was the relays!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you verified continuity/resistance of ignition wires, esp the coil wire?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the USA 1.9 Digijet system the relays have nothing to do with the spark. The coil and the ignition module get power from the key switch, via a black wire to coil. The ignition module sends power to the dizzy hall unit and the dizzy hall unit sends pulses back to the ignition module when distributor is turning. The ignition module fires the coil over the green wire.

The idle stabilizer unit is wired in between the ignition module and dizzy hall. You should bypass the idle stabilizer until things are working. It could even be the cause of no spark. Unplug the 2 connectors to the stabilizer and plug them into each other to bypass the stabilizer.

The 1.9 Digijet will fire the spark plugs with both relays removed and with the ECU removed.

(the 2.1 Digifant requires a ECU and ECU power relay in order to have spark)

Mark
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Have you verified continuity/resistance of ignition wires, esp the coil wire?

Just the coil wire and it is less than 1K ohm.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
On the USA 1.9 Digijet system the relays have nothing to do with the spark. The coil and the ignition module get power from the key switch, via a black wire to coil. The ignition module sends power to the dizzy hall unit and the dizzy hall unit sends pulses back to the ignition module when distributor is turning. The ignition module fires the coil over the green wire.

I think I verified most of this, but I never really saw pulses (volt meter flicker) and "may" hook up an O scope. But, I will re-verify to be sure.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The idle stabilizer unit is wired in between the ignition module and dizzy hall. You should bypass the idle stabilizer until things are working. It could even be the cause of no spark. Unplug the 2 connectors to the stabilizer and plug them into each other to bypass the stabilizer.

First thing I did was to bypass that gizmo today. In the day there were some that were bad and you replaced them with another (green Triumph brand?) I dunno, but I put an updated one in years ago, but bypassed today to be sure.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The 1.9 Digijet will fire the spark plugs with both relays removed and with the ECU removed.

So no need to find my big box of little black magic thingies.....

crazyvwvanman wrote:
(the 2.1 Digifant requires a ECU and ECU power relay in order to have spark)

I going to guess because the ECU controls the spark advance / timing but that is in the 1.9 dizzy mechanically.

Mark,

Will your dead van harness work in the Digijet van?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349429

TIA,
Walt...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the bypass tool will work with any year waterboxer. It is always important to be sure to plug the male spades only into pin 87 of the relay sockets, and to do it when the male spades have no power. Then when they are in the right pins connect power to the tool.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: