Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scvw wrote:
The tips cleared the apron just fine but did hit the bumper. A couple well placed spacers under the bumper brackets gave me just enough clearance for the bumper.

Cool, well done! Very Happy

My 1956 RHD Aussie Beetle ll (o\!/o) ll

Sydney, Australia
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Wow, you are so awesome! What does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

Here is a Vintage Speed Abarth style exhaust:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So your muffler is from vintage speed right ?
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grailoc wrote:
VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Wow, you are so awesome! What does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

Here is a Vintage Speed Abarth style exhaust:

So your muffler is from vintage speed right ?

correct
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Joey, can't wait to see an hear this!

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took these pics awhile back at WW these are the 2 that they were selling at the time..notice height difference

note at time this one on left was only vintage speed that WW was selling..I ordered directly from SS, fast delivery, great quality.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: We had build a flat tips that works for 1200c.c ~ 1600c.c. f Reply with quote

We had build a flat tips that works for 1200c.c ~ 1600c.c. for aprons with cutouts.
http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/it.A/id.762/.f

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I see for the website that this is for engines of up to 50hp...and after that you would recommend using your original 'Abarth' design?

Thanks
Richard
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardinNZ wrote:
So I see for the website that this is for engines of up to 50hp...and after that you would recommend using your original 'Abarth' design?

Thanks
Richard

The 50HP Abarth come with 110mm diameter muffler.
The other one is 130mm diameter muffler. We had very successful on stroker Engine with 1.25 Rockers. You can find at HotVWs magazine.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for confirming.

Richard
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jz56oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy. Reply with quote

Hi

Will the 130mm muffler give more HP then the 110mm on a stock 36hp? If so how much more?

Thanks for the info.
El Guero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: "Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy. Reply with quote

Any pics of a car with the 55 and earlier no apron cutout system.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy. Reply with quote

Has anyone had any sucess in trying to order 1 lately? Dec2 2017

Thanks
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy. Reply with quote

I ordered a bus extreme lowered exhaust from them on ebay a few weeks ago. I received it within a week to WA state. Not sure about the Abarth though, I will say that I would definitely buy from them again through ebay!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: "Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy. Reply with quote

I do have some concerns about the flow in these exhausts, but the concerns are based on my feelings...

Has anyone done some tests with it? How do they perform if they are compared to an original VW muffler or a CSP (https://www.csp-shop.de/auspuff-heizung/schalldaempfer-kaefer-56-60-251-001-030-27441h.html)?

How do the internals look like?

a good exhaust will make a difference on a tuned 36hp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: "Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy. Reply with quote

JeeWee, I have the same concerns.

I prefer to look of the CSP version, but the fit and finish of the Vintage Speed muffler appears to be superior.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: "Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy. Reply with quote

Well CSP is top quality and fit, I would bet is exceeds VS...

maybe not looking so fancy, but this is what is on my motor...

modified VW exhaust with J pipes... icm with flowed manifolds, it made a big difference...

vwtaiwan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy. Reply with quote

Here are some report from Shin Watanabe, Dyno test at Heads UP

http://www.hobidas.com/blog/vw/vw04/1958-bug-engine-rebuilt/
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy. Reply with quote

I searched looking for Solex 30 Pict 1 jet configurations optimized for use with what appears to be very similar to the Abarth replicas from Vintage Speed, their 110mm Classic muffler (heat riser included) with stainless tips for 1300~1600. My engine is a (late) 1966 1300cc (1285cc 40bhp August 1965) Beetle. This thread seems to be similar enough I thought I might try adding my questions here rather than start a new thread.

Reading the warranty information included with my new muffler (SKU 113-251-052VS) from Vintage Speed, there’s a note that the main and idle jets should be incremented larger (following the example from 115 main to 120, and 55 idle to 60), with a chart referencing an average Air-Fuel ratio of 14.7:1

No other information was included with my new muffler, and I’d really like to ensure that I am able to configure ALL the jetting optimally for mostly local “touring” including an occasional sprint on the highway at speeds up to maybe 60-70mph, though usually I limit to about 50-55mph because it’s only a 1300 after all and not a race car but my daily driver.

I have an original spec Solex 30 Pict 1 (VW 75-1) without PFS (Power Fuel System) I could prepare (by VS warranty recommendation) by changing the main from 125 to 130, and idle from 55 to 60. This carburetor has no PFS and a 125 z air correction (emulsion tube)

However the car has been running and driving beautifully with a Solex Bocar (I know but please bear with me...) 30 Pict 1 with the PFS, this carburetor has 120 main, 55 idle and 126 z air correction.

I’m looking for an optimal change not just a “standard” increase, one that takes into account the air correction jet size as well as the power fuel system jet size.

All I have to base from are VW service manual supplement charts, perhaps someone has had some experience with jet combinations for this or similar style exhaust muffler (with stock heat exchangers I should also note).

While the 55 idle VS references seems to be common across a range of 30 Pict 1, the 115 main looks to be from a type 2 1500cc, which by referencing the VW supplement chart shows it had a (leaner) 135 z air correction, could this have been a recommendation based on a warranty claim from a customer that was then applied generally as a guide? I have no idea here and can only speculate why this recommendation but I have to wonder? With a warranty it all falls back to the manufacturer so I understand VS wants to be certain their products are installed in accordance, this is understandable, but it still just seems like a generalization, even with the 14.7:1 average air-fuel ratio target noted.

That said I really think the new muffler is quite beautiful, a work of art in fact, and want to give VS the benefit of the doubt here, I can understand if there may be limited testing of products across a range of engine sizes and configurations, but I’m not looking for anything extraordinary I think either, my engine is after all completely stock, including the original vacuum distributor and oil bath air cleaner. I am however wishing to use a carburetor with the PFS spray bar in conjunction with the new muffler.

Has anyone changed the jetting with Abarth or similar they can speak of?

I’m still searching for more information and have found an informative (link) webpage (https://www.oocities.org/vwresource/jets) that reports...
The optimal stiochiometric (balanced) ratio is 14.5:1 -- that is, 14.5 parts air to one part fuel. This is even (slightly) richer than the VS warranty stated 14.7:1, however it wouldn’t seem to be achieved exactly in the manner VS recommends, rather it would seem that retaining the idle jet at 55 and using anything from 122.5 to 130 main in conjunction with a 125 z or 130z air-correction might arrive closer to the optimal jetting configuration I’m looking for. It’s my best guess from what I read so far anyway.

Any thoughts?

Many many thanks for all input well in advance!
Robert

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Vintage Speed of Taiwan" SS Abarth copy. Reply with quote

Quote:
The optimal stiochiometric (balanced) ratio is 14.5:1 -- that is, 14.5 parts air to one part fuel. This is even (slightly) richer than the VS warranty stated 14.7:1, however it wouldn’t seem to be achieved exactly in the manner VS recommends, rather it would seem that retaining the idle jet at 55 and using anything from 122.5 to 130 main in conjunction with a 125 z or 130z air-correction might arrive closer to the optimal jetting configuration I’m looking for. It’s my best guess from what I read so far anyway.

you'll want to read this https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293837

jet for 12.6 AFR at WOT, and 15.4 AFR at light throttle cruise, is what they are trying to say, but I think it's lost in translation. 14.7 AFR, (HOT) is not where you want to be under load.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: