Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW...
A post today in another thread mentioned that later this month Van Cafe is going to start selling a new BBK based on Jetta parts. Supposedly, "...works with just about every wheel you can think of."
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Announced today...

GW will soon be offering their "Biggest Brake Kit".

This is starting to become like owning the latest, greatest iPhone. When will it ever end? Rolling Eyes Brick wall

From the GW newsletter:

"Get ready for the biggest, baddest, brakiest brakes in the Vanagon kingdom! Our forthcoming kit utilizes gigantic four-piston, machined-aluminum calipers to supply incredible stopping power to our enormous 312mm vented and cross-drilled rotors. This race-quality brake kit will represent the most impressive complete brake system available. Development of this kit has been a long, arduous process, including putting them to test on the van we raced to fame and glory in the 24 Hours of LeMons Race in 2013!

Kit will include calipers, rotors, adapters, stainless braided brake lines, and all necessary hardware. Due to the staggering enormity of this brake system, a minimum of 16" wheels will be required. Stay tuned!

We kindly request that you refrain from emailing and/or calling our sales staff regarding availability of these coming-soon products. They will be live in our New Products section as soon as they're ready!"

Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The newest BIG BIG brake kit

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
jbnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the topic came back around to GoWesty Brakes. Wink
Bilstein Shocks
16" Mefros, Cooper Discoverer AT3 (215-70-16)
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a nice set of stoppers Exclamation
mreuter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Porsche 996 for front and rear (Brembo 4 piston) They sell for around $300 on fleeBay. I have them front and rear and they work great.
Larger 16" wheels are required ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was back in March. Are they now selling the third generation ones?

I like the Porsche ones and the price is better...well I like Porsche everything and always have...

tam

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Announced today...

GW will soon be offering their "Biggest Brake Kit".

This is starting to become like owning the latest, greatest iPhone. When will it ever end? Rolling Eyes Brick wall

From the GW newsletter:

"Get ready for the biggest, baddest, brakiest brakes in the Vanagon kingdom! Our forthcoming kit utilizes gigantic four-piston, machined-aluminum calipers to supply incredible stopping power to our enormous 312mm vented and cross-drilled rotors. This race-quality brake kit will represent the most impressive complete brake system available. Development of this kit has been a long, arduous process, including putting them to test on the van we raced to fame and glory in the 24 Hours of LeMons Race in 2013!

Kit will include calipers, rotors, adapters, stainless braided brake lines, and all necessary hardware. Due to the staggering enormity of this brake system, a minimum of 16" wheels will be required. Stay tuned!

We kindly request that you refrain from emailing and/or calling our sales staff regarding availability of these coming-soon products. They will be live in our New Products section as soon as they're ready!"

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^ Nope. Only the "Bigger" (Gen 2) is up on their website. "Biggest" (Gen 3) still TBA.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
^^^^^ Nope. Only the "Bigger" (Gen 2) is up on their website. "Biggest" (Gen 3) still TBA.

Thank you Jerry! Never assume anything, I'm sure I read about them back in March...

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there mention of needing to grind on the calipers to get them to fit some of the wheels that they sell.

we sat at buses by the bridge with a couple who'd bought the gowesty big brake kit, and a set of their new black wheels, not sure if aluminum or steel.
they had a shop in colerado do the work, all went well until it was time to put the wheels on, they wouldn't go round Rolling Eyes
the fix, after a call to gowesty, grind the calipers to clear, they had spent close to $2k with gowesty, plus how ever much for a shop to do the work, only to find that there was a clearance issue.
i felt very sorry for the couple who'd spent out all the $
it was VERY bad on gowesty's side, telling a customer to grind on brand new calipers because they had not been checked for fit before being sold.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fine tuning of parts is needed when using non stock parts.
This comes with the territory.
If you want bolt on and go, stay stock.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes! Reply with quote

Regarding the "Bigger Brake Kit" (Gen 2 - http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=23870&type=) in this thread's title...

Anyone else having a hard time getting rid of brake squeal when coming to a full stop (aka... "movie star brakes")? I've taken the pads out 2x and applied the goo to the backs of the pads to no avail. It's not terrible, just annoying. Has anyone discovered a better/quieter pad out there than what was supplied from GW in the kit?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes! Reply with quote

Assuming the brake are the Toyota version calipers, I highly recommend Akebono pads. Once you get over the funny name, you will be very impressed about the quality, no dust, and no noise you get with these pads.

Akebono ACT884 is the part number.

I own a shop and I have never had anyone complain. The price is a bit more and it has a funny name, but you'll get over it in a few days.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?part...fgodfdAHlA

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.ph...plate=true
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes! Reply with quote

Quote:
I use Porsche 996 for front and rear (Brembo 4 piston) They sell for around $300 on fleeBay. I have them front and rear and they work great.

I like this option for my syncro but what is needed to install? Seems like this setup would be much more expensive then the big brake kit from gowesty and small car. I looked at calipers but they are 300-400 a piece used.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes! Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:
Quote:

I like this option for my syncro but what is needed to install? Seems like this setup would be much more expensive then the big brake kit from gowesty and small car. I looked at calipers but they are 300-400 a piece used.

I have built 4 wheel Porsche brakes for a Vanagon.
Expect at least $2500 to do so.
I used some new and some used parts, plus ordered adapters from Europe.
The Syncro makes it easier and less money as it has a hub upfront, stock.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes! Reply with quote

Yeah looks like the small car or gowesty kit makes the process more economical and idiot proof.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes! Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:
Yeah looks like the small car or gowesty kit makes the process more economical and idiot proof.

Don't forget Burley Motorsports sells a good rear disc brake kit if your going for all 4 corners not just fronts.

Butcher wrote:
Assuming the brake are the Toyota version calipers, I highly recommend Akebono pads. Once you get over the funny name, you will be very impressed about the quality, no dust, and no noise you get with these pads.

Akebono ACT884 is the part number.

I own a shop and I have never had anyone complain. The price is a bit more and it has a funny name, but you'll get over it in a few days.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?part...fgodfdAHlA

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.ph...plate=true

Thanks for the recommendation.
Wow... $46 at Rock Auto and $75 at AutoHausAZ for the same parts!
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes! Reply with quote

They list at $112 and factory pads list at $55. My cost is $55, but I do not buy like Rockauto does, nor do I compete with them.

FYI, double check my numbers, cause mechanics hate to get blamed. I got the information from GoWesty and found they use the Highlander calipers. Not certain which pads they offer, I looked closely and I did not see any numbers/manufacturing codes.
pshoebri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes! Reply with quote

has anyone put these under 16" mefro-style wheels? i see a 15" needs a bit of grinding - do the 16s too?
West-westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hold The Phone - New GoWesty Bigger Brakes! Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the GW hubs will work with the Small Car kit's rotors and calipers (Audi)? Both kits say that if you have a Syncro, then you don't need to buy their hubs. So my assumption is the big difference between the two kits is the caliper/rotor interaction.

I'm asking because I'd like to use the GW hubs with the Small Car calipers and rotors.

I'm also curious what this would do for wheel placement -- inboard vs. outboard....

Thanks,
(my very first post, ever!)

Last edited by West-westy on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: