Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Most Desirable"
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
desert westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: "Most Desirable" Reply with quote

After getting lucky and finding a 15 window, I've been told that I have one of the "most desirable" bus models. After going to a few shows and spending hours on The Samba, I feel that all barndoors, all campers, anything with a sunroof, all dove blue, SWR/BG, and PG/SG....they're all cool. Just wondering what you would choose if you could pick any bus you wanted.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Love my bus. Wouldn't trade it for anything
Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dream bus is a dove blue fat hatch non w/t Kombi. I'm not to greedy Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most desirable bus/car is what the 'other' guy has. Embarassed Sad

In my garage is a sweeet 23 Window Pressed bumper bus, but I want to ditch her for a Pre-A. Please stay off the upgrade path!!
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to go with a walkthrough 23 window. any year is fine. any color is fine.

I often tell people that the only person you should be trying to impress is yourself. get what you like and don't settle for less than what you want. lower your standards and you will be more satisfied. (and I'm not talking about ride height on your standard microbus...)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sventinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

61 mouse gray pearl white 15 window sunroof double door flipseat westy with safari's.
025 Safety belts
195 Adjustable bench seat/backrest (until 1963)
dawerks wrote:
Perfection only comes with delusion.

http://www.oacdp.org/
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have never fallen so hard for Volkswagens had it not been for road trips I took when I was younger. There is no feeling like the freedom of leaving on a journey, and having a general destination but no agenda for how and which way you take to end up there. To be general campers get all my love. To be more specific I've always been stuck on Dormobiles and Westfalias. I love the less common Camper configurations as it's neat to have something different and carry the story of something unique.
Vintagespeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the "most desirable" part is also linked to "most valuable" because pple are willing to pay more for something they want more badly.

I guess 23w barndoors are extremely desirable, seeing as they go for the most $$.

Then you have personal preferances where ppl like a Westy for camping, or a 15w because it's less common, etc.

I would stick to an early 50's 23w barndoor as most desirable in general, although some early Westies will fetch big bucks too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Micro's. Any year, any colours. To me they are the essence of a VW, not too basic, not too fancy.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Desirable bus Reply with quote

Any bus that came out of the historical Wolfburg plant for me.
Hand built cigar smoking craftsmanship ! That's what I call essence.. Wink
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard, sunroof, walkthrough

None of the other details matter.
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo....I wanna play! Lol

My absolute DREAM bus would be an early Wolfsburg Kombi in original dove blue, walk through with a sunroof option. However my realistic dream bus would be an early wolfsburg Kombi in original dove blue.

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a 60-61 sub-hatch Westy. SO-23 in Mango or Dove Blue OG paint of course. Is that asking too much?? Very Happy
Sdmjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dream bus is actually my bus...albeit with the rust fixed, the electrical sorted out, the gas pedal bracket fixed, some safaris installed, etc etc etc. Some days I wish i had a magic wand that would just fix it all instantly like i see it in my mind but, most of the time, I am happy just working toward the dream. Maybe that's why I own a VW camper in the first place---because getting there is just as much fun as being there!
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heck why choose? Collect the whole set.....got it, need it, need it, need it....

Gordo

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, things change, they have changed and they will again. I have owned many or my dream buses
53 kombi, 56 fireengine panel with flapping semaphores, 61 crewcab, 65 westfalia wood bed "grossraum holz pritsche" single cab velvet green with canopy and logos, 66 dormo westy with factory safaris, and a bunch of buses that were not so awesome like my sliding door kombi, what a nuisance...

anyway right now i am looking for a pressed bumper, doubledoor, walkthrough panel, logos would be cool, too. more into choke carbs, reserve knob, no gauges, cardboard interior, cardboar visors, radio delete, etc

and maybe a narrow hatch flipseat westy.
condition wise a repaired vehicle rather than a restored one, one that says, hey, somebody bolted me together 50 years ago and i am still here

totally stock suspension, 15s, maybe nobby tires, safaris, okrasa dual carb kit, maybe a vintage speed exhaust.

totally on a lowtech mechanical trip to counter my tech industry, computerized job situation.

Oh yeah and a 15 window, of course.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
heck why choose? Collect the whole set.....got it, need it, need it, need it....

Gordo

YEaahh!!

Then after you have the entire set, bust it up and start on a new one. I just finished collecting the Deluxe (23, 21, 15, 13 Window) set. Time to break it up and start something new Wink
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:

Gordo

YEaahh!!

Then after you have the entire set, bust it up and start on a new one. I just finished collecting the Deluxe (23, 21, 15, 13 Window) set. Time to break it up and start something new Wink

why not make something special? a commercial interior 23 window, with a pinstripe instead of the deluxe trim? commercial bumpers, black knobs, put some sort of wilderness excursion style logos on it,

kind of a counter to the annoying 11 window kombis with deluxe trim? understated luxury if you will?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Slow Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 window, dd, walkthrough would be my most desirable (see metal surgeons build)
100 years from now when they have reverse atom regeneration attractor technology perfected and in a hand held back yard mechanic's price range, someone will dig up this thread and go, "What were those guys thinking? The whole thing was all there just waiting to be re-atomized. Funny how easily they cut them up back then."

74 911
72 914
65 13w Deluxe
60 Ragtop
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
why not make something special? a commercial interior 23 window, with a pinstripe instead of the deluxe trim? commercial bumpers, black knobs, put some sort of wilderness excursion style logos on it,

kind of a counter to the annoying 11 window kombis with deluxe trim? understated luxury if you will?

I like it! My original plan was to put a bed under the sunroof so you could lie down and look up at the stars.

And have it jacked up! But I like the Deluxe trim too much to mess with it. The aluminum is just art! Smile
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordo

OK. I want a BD, a panel, a kombi, a westy, a standard, a 15, a 23, a dove blue, a PG/SG, a mango/SG, a mouse grey/PW, a turkis/BW, an SWR/BG. and they all need to be walkthroughs. most need to be original paint. all need to have options, and most need to be special order. I have a couple trucks also.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: