Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stumble -- it's not the ignition system... I think
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Stumble -- it's not the ignition system... I think Reply with quote

I have an extremely intermittent stumble that doesn't seem to be related to anything. I thought it was rain and hills (water in the gas, bad spark plug wires?), but now that I have replaced the spark plug wires, and it hasn't rained in a few days and I noticed a big miss the last drive, I think it might be the EFI wiring.

Do you guys have any suggestions for likely suspects? Where do I start? Thanks!!

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would inspect all of the wiring to make sure the connections are all clean, tight, and secure. Start at the battery, starter and chassis grounds then move to the fuel pump, double relay, TSII, FI grounds and then all of the ECU connections.

That cost you nothing and only takes a couple of hours to do. Something might leap out at you, but at least you will know that that is not the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aopisa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the AFM contacts and tracks to see if they are worn/dirty. I had an intermittent stumble that turned into a non-running condition. It finally took a significant adjustment to the AFM to cure it.

Just start by taking a look before doing anything else. Many here will tell you to leave the AFM alone if you don't know what you are doing. Good advice since you can quickly make things worse. I had the help of Amskeptic when we made the adjustments.

Leap into the boundless and make it your home! ---Chuang-Tzu

Please let me know if you do not receive this message...
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How intemittient are we talking? Once every mile? Once every 5 miles? Once every 50 miles? Once a week?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you add a can of gas dryer? If it is moisture it can slosh around in there and cause that kind of miss.
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the stumble will be gone for a week, and then all of a sudden return once, or repeatedly for a while. It does "appear" to be related to hills (up or down, so not load-related), moisture, and moon phases (just kidding -- not moon phases) Wink

I replaced the fuel filter, I do have a new fuel cap, and know my tank is sealed well. I like the gas dryer idea -- will try that SGKent.

Randy, I have checked here and there, and have replaced some wires, but I will check though more systemically through your list here. Do you use an Ohm meter when doing this? What value do you look for?

aopisa, The AFM is suspect -- I changed my original (that actually looks good, but turned out non-op) to a another used one with pretty worn tracks, but works. I recently had Buslab in Berkeley tune it with their CO sniffer.

It's certainly possible that the AFM is an issue, but looking for a bad ground and adding some gas additive is cheaper for starters. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post any updates. It's a very intermittent issue, so it might be a while

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both my continuity "beeper" function on my VOM and then I do an ohm meter reading to make sure I am not hanging on to a single strand of wire.

Buy a tube of this stuff to put on the electrical connection that live a hard life (like on the starter, battery and chassis grounds)...I got my 4 oz bottle from a HVAC supply house....

http://www.ilsco.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?kfjkff=YY...AduPeME%3D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that sorta like liquid electrical tape? I used to use that back when I built boats...

Thanks for the tip...

Previous romances:

gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and oh, I'm planning on driving 1800 miles over the next three weekends, so I'll figure this thing out somewhere between here and LA...

Pismo Beach Ho!

Previous romances:

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the center of the late tank there is a baffle. It allows fuel to flow into the outlet a little at a time from the top and some holes in the sides. If you have water in the tank, possibly condensation or picked up at a gas station and it does happen, a small shot of it may only get into the line when you are at certain angles. That is why you want to run a fuel dryer. Basically it is isopropryl alcohol which picks up the water and emulsifies into the fuel. Any FLAPS will have some - HEAT is one of the brands and it is inexpensive. This will rule out water.

Another issue with the baffle is that some of the bays had a type of unleaded nozzle restrictor called a bird's beak. It falls apart and a piece about an inch in size can slide around in the tank and momentarially block the outlet.

You also have the possibility that there is a worn spot on the AFM. That can be inspected visually.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: