Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thransmission Mounting Angle
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Thransmission Mounting Angle Reply with quote

Hey Guys-

I got some time to work on the TDI conversion yesterday and ran into a couple obstacles. I'm using the Mexican Bay bellhousing, carrier bar, etc. The Mexican bellhousing does not utilize the top bellhousing mounts that the old transmission used.

When I went to test-fit the engine and transmission to the bus yesterday, there was some interference.

The main thing is the top of the starter solenoid hits the cross-frame, just under the gas tank. So this prevents it from being jacked up all the way to where the carrier bar contacts the frame on the right side. Probably short by an inch or inch and a half. There are a couple other minor things such as a metal coolant pipe making contact and the coolant exit for the heater is real close to the fuel tank. (I was hoping the bellhousing would push the engine back far enough this wouldn't be an issue but it looks like something will need to be done to make a little more room.)

So of course I could notch the cross-frame to make room for the starter and clearnance for the other two bits, but I was also wondering about tipping the whole package down a bit at the back where the support bar is. If It was lowered back there that inch and a half or so, that would probably solve the problems.

What I'm wondering about, then, is the angle of the front of the transmission and the shift coupler. Would tipping it downward cause any problems, like binding of the coupler or something? The way the shift coupler looks, looks like it could in fact pivot some, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

engineer on papaer, make mock ups with cardboard, cut, weld, and brace
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main question is will I be able to hook the shift coupler to the transmission if it is tipped downward at the back a little bit? Or will it bind up?

The answer to this will/would affect just what I'm mocking up, cutting, welding, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: