Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
It's not necessarily oil pressure, but rather crankcase gases pressurizing and pushing the oil out. In my case I had to enlarge the hole that the gases initially exit through. On my type one, this was a hole in the side of the aftermarket oil filler.

Isn't the crankcase breather box on top of the crankcase open to the crankcase?

Where else would gases be building up?

Tcash wrote:
Its leaking from where?

It's leaking from the bell housing. I am trying to find the thread where I discussed this at length, but the short version is that I have checked and replaced the main front sea and O-ring about 4 times now, using the good SABA seals and graphite-impregnated O-rings. I have a new flywheel (leaking happened before this, and the flywheel was one of my attempts to fix it) and clutch parts.

More recently, I have replaced the oil gallery plugs that had been put in there, sealing the new aluminum ones with JB weld as a sealant. Those suckers can't be leaking now.

So, where else could the leak be coming from?

My current line of inquiry has been suggested by Tom Westy: There is crankcase pressure building up as the engine gets up to temperature and highway speeds, and this is forcing oil out through the main seal. Sounds plausible, but I need to understand more about how and where this pressure could be building up.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

test the breather box, breather, and hose.

I found on mine that the oil weep is right at the juncture of the seal and case part lines. I suspect that all the engines that leak love to leak at that spot. Once oil gets in that spot it is hard to get a sealer to plug that area.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Are you talking about this breather box? The soap bar sized black box held down with the bale, to the right of the distributor, right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's empty, and the lines to the collector box and to the air filters are clear.

Isn't that ventilating the crankcase?

If that is all clear, then where would crankcase pressure be building up that would cause a leak in the bell housing (ostensibly through the main seal)... ?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I am trying to find the thread where I discussed this at length

Control panel>View Profile>Find All Topics Started By jtauxe
Sudden severe oil leak -- blown oil gallery plug, now fixed

GD
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Did you happen to take any pics of the front of the case while the flywheel was off?
Since you've done the flywheel seal and gallery plugs maybe there's a crack or flaw in the case that only opens when it's hot?, and likely with access to pressurized oil opposed to case cavity pressure, if it was a breather issue it'd probably be puking it out from all the seals and gaskets equally.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

This is all I could find on Crankcase breathing. It mentions a double lip main seal.
https://newsite.hamheads.com/2016/12/10/type-4-crankcase-breathing-system-tests-analysis/

There was a write up on testing crankcase pressure. But I can't find it.
Hook up a pressure gauge to your dipstick and post the readings.

Next time you have the Flywheel off. Put some Dykem layout ink on the mating surface and bolt it back on and look for any uneven spots on the crankshaft.
Or use some Plastigauge.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Since you've done the flywheel seal and gallery plugs maybe there's a crack or flaw in the case that only opens when it's hot?,

Sometimes you can not see the crack with the naked eye.

Aluminum crack detection kit
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rl...fwd-pPPulw

Forsaken1 wrote:
this one happened to me last week.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
I am trying to find the thread where I discussed this at length

Control panel>View Profile>Find All Topics Started By jtauxe
Sudden severe oil leak -- blown oil gallery plug, now fixed

GD
Tcash

Yeah... that one was about another bus, the 1978 double cab. Maybe the thread I'm looking for was over on Colin's site. Razz

Yes, I have photos of the front of the engine with the flywheel off. Everything looks fine... but after seeing these examples...

...could be a cracked crankcase? Oh, my, yuck. After all this work, money, and aggravation...

I guess I should not be so quick to sell the wrecked '74 Westy with the working engine and dual Solexes...
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Your positive it’s oil and not gear oil? Easy mistake to make...transmission input shaft seal. Just tossing the idea out.

Do you seat the rear main flush or in the case a bit?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Your positive it’s oil and not gear oil? Easy mistake to make...transmission input shaft seal. Just tossing the idea out.

Do you seat the rear main flush or in the case a bit?

Definitely engine oil. I also have to add a quart after 100 km (this Mexican truck only does km).

And... main seals. I replaced it the first time after the top end rebuild, when I replaced the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch parts, and everything else replaceable in there. I used a [brand name temporarily escapes me -- common manufacturer, blue and white box] seal. After reading the missive on GoWesty about main seals (http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=60, where they mistakenly call this the rear seal, though it is definitely the front seal), I bought a bunch of SABO seals, and have been using those since. Like 4 times since. I've put them in flush with the crankcase, just proud of the crankcase, and I even tried a 12-mm seal for a Vanagon, as suggested by raygreenwood. None of these made any difference whatsoever.

Replacing the gallery plugs has made no difference.

The most recent suggestion is that there could be a crack in the case. I would have to yank the engine out again to check, but what could even be done about that, anyway?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

You need to pull it, clean behind the flywheel, and reinstall, then pull in 100 miles to see where the oil marks are

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
You need to pull it, clean behind the flywheel, and reinstall, then pull in 100 miles to see where the oil marks are

I've done that a few times now. I guess I need to put some UV dye into the oil and try it, since I could not see anything unusual in terms of oil previously. It all just looked clean -- no streaks or anything.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

I've done that a few times now. I guess I need to put some UV dye into the oil and try it, since I could not see anything unusual in terms of oil previously. It all just looked clean -- no streaks or anything.

Pics?

Is the back of the flywheel what’s getting wet? Or the whole bellhousing?

206-841-7324
[email protected]
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Pics?

Is the back of the flywheel what’s getting wet? Or the whole bellhousing?

It's hard to tell. My oil is too clean -- I need some dirty brown oil to see where things are coming from. Or, better, use the UV dye.

But, for now, this is on hold as I catch up with other things in life. My current plan, once I get back into this, is to add UV dye, drive my favorite loop around the County, and then pull it to inspect for the source of the leak.

I may pull the 1800 engine with original Solexes from the parts bus and put it in the pickup. That would give me a chance to try out that somewhat unknown engine, too. If it works, and doesn't leak, then I may leave it in.

Then I would need to decide what to do with the current engine, which runs fine and powerfully, but leaks oil like crazy.

This may be on hold for several months, honestly, even though I do want to drive the truck back to San Antonio and take all the previous owners out to dinner to get stories. I suppose that as long as I take enough oil, I could make the trip. Just keep oil in it and there would be no harm, right?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Keep oil in it and worst case you soak a clutch disc. I say go for it! And when you get back the oil will be plenty dark for diagnosis. Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

I'm back to the high crankcase pressure theory.

Adrian Audirac (Headflow Masters), who built the new 1800 heads and provided them with new pistons and cylinders, also supported the idea that crankcase pressure could be the cause. He suggested just taking off the breather box entirely, for testing purposes, and running it open (with a piece of foam on it or something to keep stuff from going in). So that is my next test.

I have heard two other suggestions for relieving pressure, if in fact that is the problem. One is to add relief ports to the valve covers. The other is to tap into the cylinder head relief ports.

Has anyone here done either of those approaches?
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

From what I read a while back, possibly on Raby's old site, venting the valve covers basically draws more oil up there instead of having it drain back to the case. Stuffing a couple of copper scrub pads in the breather tower cut down on oil getting in my filter (single Weber progressive).

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Seems to me that oil in the valve cover space would find its way back to the crankcase through the pushrod tubes... or am I missing something in how this is put together?

At any rate, I'm going to try the valve cover venting trick. I'll post results here.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

The point is to put the vents at the TOP of the valve covers to allow intake manifold suction to create negative pressure in the AIR of the crankcase. By routing a vacuum line from the valve cover into the air filter the air space inside the case is then put under a little bit of constant suction. If there’s not negative pressure, even a brand new seal could get blown out by a few psi of pressure. So, by having a vacuum inside the case, even with OIL PRESSURE (totally different) the seals should not leak because the exiting force is sending the pressure into the intake rather then out the oil seals. Path of least resistance Wink

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, I don’t have all the answers just thought I’d spout off this one Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Welcoming Arándano: a 1975 single cab Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
... even a brand new seal could get blown out by a few psi of pressure ...

It is my understanding that this is how a main seal is supposed to work -- as a pressure relief valve. If there is high pressure in the crankcase, the spring in the seal allows oil to pass through. I believe this is what is happening in my case.

I tried getting more suction by connecting the breather box on the "chimney" (Hoffman's term) directly to the carburetor air intake stacks, through the air filters, in an attempt to tap into the low pressure region in the velocity stacks. This did not help.

I also tried a suggestion by Adrian Audirac: Remove the breather box from the chimney, leaving the chimney wide open. I stuffed a piece of foam over the open hole to keep dirt out, and drove it to test. No change. Sad Heck, if that did not relieve pressure, I really don't know what would.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: