Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anything better than the stock Bosch fuel pump for FI eng?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Anything better than the stock Bosch fuel pump for FI eng? Reply with quote

I'm pulling the fuel tank for cleaning and doing a little re-plumbing of the fuel system on my 77 FI Riveria, is there a better longer lasting fuel pump I can replace the bosch one with? While I am at it, any ideas for a larger better filter?
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i routinely have replaced bosch pumps that are original to the bus. is there something wrong when the pump lasts 30+ years? not sure if the new bosch pumps are as good as the originals, they likely are not quite as good but there are no quality issues with them. the only issue i have with the new bosch replacement pumps is that bosch has discontinued the pump that has original style spade connectors and now the new pumps have screw lug terminals, so this means either cutting the original bus wiring harness or using a lug to spade adapter. we ship the pumps with the lug to spade adapter but it's still an issue because with the adapter, the rubber boots for the terminals don't fit.

but the pump itself does not need to be improved. there is nothing wrong with the filter either. replace filter every 30-40K miles (or less if you want) and you're good.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Scott as the pumps seem to last forever if not run DRY. I change the fuel filter every other year.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a better fuel pump, but whenever one goes out on a Bus I go grab one off an older Volvo from the junkyard, same exact pump...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
It's not a better fuel pump, but whenever one goes out on a Bus I go grab one off an older Volvo from the junkyard, same exact pump...

pick me up one the next time you encounter one Ian. mine seems to eb getting louder and louder all the time. i would like to have a spare.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to just take the Volvo home and see what other parts fit. I hear new parts for VW buses are going to be all gone soon.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Might want to just take the Volvo home and see what other parts fit. I hear new parts for VW buses are going to be all gone soon.

is this supposed to be new news?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: