Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have a problem in Boulder/Denver (It's fixed)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Have a problem in Boulder/Denver (It's fixed) Reply with quote

I just did about 2k miles on the van I just rebuilt. I went from Central FL to Denver the long way..

I was headed up Boulder Canyon, stopped off at one of the creek pull offs hung out for a bit then jumped back on 119 (Boulder Canyon Road), as I got back up to speed I start hearing a thumping noise. I started slowing down to find a spot to pull off the road when my driver's side front wheel shot off the van and I came to a grind stop..

I managed to get the tire and wheel back on the van, the hub still turned ok but has a nice flat spot on the rotor. I managed to get the van into a safer spot, but it seems the threads are stripped out of the rotor (2wd) as the lugs keep coming loose as soon as I move a few hundred feet.

I'm wondering if anyone in the Boulder area or worst case around Denver has a used 2wd front hub. I don't care what shape it's in, I just need something to get me on the road so I can get to a auto parts shop to buy a new one in need be.

My next problem is I'm sort of stuck up here. If you happen to have a used hub and are up for a mountian drive it would be awesome. If not I do have a bike and can manage to get down to Boulder tomorrow and perhaps get an Uber ride to where ever you are.

Last issue.. I'm stuck in the Canyon there is no cell service at ground level, I had to climb up one of the ridges to get cell service from Netherland. I'm gonna sit up here for a bit before heading back down the ridge.

If you happen to have a useable rotor and can help PM me or send me a txt or call. (321-432-4867).

I'll be watching the post and will make an update before I head back down. If I get not solid responses today, I'll climb back up in the morning to recheck the topic. I'm perfectly fine being stuck up here a few days, but if not one has a spare rotor by tomorrow, I'll order one from a local parts store if need be.

Last edited by DAV!D on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my location.. I figure people whom know the area will know where this is.. It's that spot where everyone climbs the rocks, with the little access road that runs down behind the rocky area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The van is out by 119 now, but I'll be moving it down the dirt road to a flat spot when ever I climb back down.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to head down the ridge, have a nasty storm rolling in. I'll check back tomorrow to see if there are any replies.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A last resort suggestion, but would it be possible to hammer (mushroom) the wheel stud ends to keep the nuts from turning once on?

Loctite?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or use cold chisel at stud face to lock nuts on?

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imported Auto Parts, 27th and Pine OR Verners VW, east of 30th on Valmont.

If you need an excellent tow guy (best by FAR in Boulder), Jim at Hamilton Towing, Tell him Robert in Montana sent you. 303-444-4575

Lived in Boulder for years!
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalispell365 wrote:
Imported Auto Parts, 27th and Pine OR Verners VW, east of 30th on Valmont.

If you need an excellent tow guy (best by FAR in Boulder), Jim at Hamilton Towing, Tell him Robert in Montana sent you. 303-444-4575

Lived in Boulder for years!

Lots of good choices here:

My fave is :

Wolfsburg Autowerks http://www.wolfsburgautowerks.com/
Address: 1001 Lee Hill Dr, Boulder, CO 80302
Phone:(303) 998-1859
Hours:

Monday 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
Tuesday 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
Wednesday 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
Thursday 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
Friday 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
Saturday 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Sunday Closed
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Have a problem in Boulder/Denver (kind of urgent) Reply with quote

Maybe run three lugs, use two to bind up two? (double-nut)
And come down s l o w l y, checking frequently?
Borrow some more nuts from the back hubs as well?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
how in the heck did the front wheel manage to get off with no prior announcement?

There must of been some indication either in the seat of your pants or in the steering wheel way prior to it spitting completely off.
You would have known something was messed up in the front end way before it decided to leave.

TK, I would have agreed with you before I had this happen to me. Totally my fault, I was working on the front brakes and did not torque the wheel bolts back on when I lowered the bus down. Stupid move! The result was that 15 miles later the drivers front wheel parted ways with NO warning at all. (had the same experience as the OP concerning the flat spotted rotor, but no stripped brake disc holes). The best I can figure is that the last bolt held the wheel on and since it is fairly tight to the outer ridge on the hub the edge of the hub kept the wheel centered enough until the last bolt went bye bye and the wheel just dropped away.
Like I said, I wouldn't have believed it would happen that way, but it did to me... Embarassed

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow--

I have had lug nuts / studs back off evenly--on the rear as well as the font ( not the same vehicle), and not because I messed up--it was a tire jockey that didn't crank them down right.

I could feel there wasn't some kosher somewhere--kinda weebling instead of wobbling --& when I pulled over--yep it was the wheel mounting hardware backing off.

You would think that on a front wheel even with one stud or nut retaining the entire weight of the tire & wheel something would have lit the light bulb--

Guess not--

Crazy Stuff--and I'll bet a chest pounding moment--
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a wheel come off or even loosen. Until last winter coming down that same canyon after a day at Eldora. Heard and felt the wobble and got it over in time. Hmm.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
I have never had a wheel come off or even loosen. Until last winter coming down that same canyon after a day at Eldora. Heard and felt the wobble and got it over in time. Hmm.
-d

To the OP: give Mark at Wolfsburg a call, I've sourced hubs from him before.

Raoul, one of our friends is on the Fire/Rescue teams in that area.

Once the spring meltoff starts there are lots of places in that canyon where going off the road and into the creek is a nightmare scenario, even close in to town.

The local S&R here is real good and when folks end up in Boulder Creek upside down and get flushed out of their vehicles by the force of the water, they are usually able to eventually recover the remains.

But, by mid-July, the flow volume will be back down and it'll be like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
I have a neice who lives in Aurora.
She And her boyfriend may be persuaded to take a drive and deliver a brake rotir / hub. If they do, I'll have them get new bearings and sone grease as well.

I haven't yet inquired with her but let me know. Their time is fairly flexibke right now from what I understand.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to say it at first but I was wondering if it might have been deliberate? Did yours happen to be the front passenger side too? The wheel most likely to pull you into the creek?
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rims? Did you check how much the lug bolt protrudes through the wheel? That would be the amount of grip. You should also verify the lug bolt taper matches the rim. If you have a steel wheel spare and some stock lug bolts, that might get you down to civilization. My guess is you did not have enough threads making contact. These are torqued to over 100 foot pounds and in stock trim it is unlikely they would fall out. Sorry, don't have a rotor for you. While you are waiting, I'd pull the other wheel and take a look. You might find that mixing and matching bolts from both sides might also get you going.
tim_ha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People climb the rocks everywhere in Boulder canyon, but you are at Castle Rock 12 miles up the canyon for anyone who might be driving up there looking for you.

If anyone has a rotor/hub, I could probably arrange my gf to pick them up and deliver them up the canyon.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I just got off the phone with O'Riely Auto parts in Boulder. They can get me a new rotor and the bearings by 12:30.

As far as doubling up the lugs or anything like that, my van still has the 2wd front as I haven't finished the syncro conversion yet so I still have the lugs on the front which go into the spindle.

As for the wheel, they are aftermarket wheels but I've been running them since I bought this van here in Denver last Oct. they have been on the van probably 10 - 12k miles now.

As for the lugs, they all came off at once. They were all scattered along the road where the tire came off.

I checked all my lugs on the trip about 300 miles in and all were good. I probably should have checked them once I made it here but then again who really checks their lugs every 2k miles.. Lol

The only thing I can figure is when I pulled out of the road side pull off, it was up hill and I had to turn sharply uphill and maybe that was too much stress on an old rotor and perhaps the lugs had loosened.

It really was no warning as I pulled on to the road got into 3rd gear when I then started hearing a clucking. I tried to get it off the road but soon as I started hitting the brakes the wheel came off.

Anyway.. I'm gonna bike it down the mountain to the auto parts store and will try to find a ride back up. I know there is a bus that runs up the canyon road, anyone happen to know its schedule?

Anyway thanks for the suggestions and help. I'll be out of signal again till I get down to Boulder.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like those lug bolts are not the right size thread for that disc hub??? Carefully check them on the new hub and pull the passenger wheel and check that side too. I cannot imagine that they all would strip out at once if they were correct. Confused

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it down to boulder.. (what a bike ride). I'm otw to the auto parts store, but can anyone tell me the nut size for the front spindle?

I can't remember what size it is and I want to make sure I have the correct size socket with me. Thanks in advance.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always just used a pair of slip joint water pump pliers or crescent wrench.
it's not a tight nut at all, so anything will remove it w/o damage.

make sure you have a small chisel to reset the retaining nut cover thingie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: