Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new GoWesty wheels are on!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silence262
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: My new GoWesty wheels are on! Reply with quote

I ordered a set of 16" wheels from GoWesty and got them installed today. I bought a used set of Conti 4x4 Contact tires, 215/60/16 (load rating 102v!)

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

1987 GL Automatic, 16" GoWesty wheels, Full stainless exhaust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many years ago were the tires manufactured?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking nice, amazing how a modern wheel updates the van.

FYI, maybe get a chance to see them when the VW club's next Ice cream gtg in Sylvan beach Mon May 6th

dan from syracuse
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the look with the new wheels. I also really like that retro paint job. Very nice.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mirthpeople
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good there! See you around town.
-Eric
2000 Cabrio- Needs lots of work
2002 Golf TDI- Future Vanagon transplant?
Hodakaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Love the looks of those wheels.

Hodakaguy

My Unimog Build: https://advrider.com/f/threads/meet-the-trotn-turtle-unimog-u1300l-build.1143869/

My Tacoma Builds: https://advrider.com/f/threads/hodakaguys-overland-tacoma-builds-on-to-new-adventures.1274770/

My 4wd Sprinter Build here:https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9334401#9334401
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My new GoWesty wheels are on! Reply with quote

Pretty! Smile
These? http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4303&category_id=&category_parent_id=

Nothing wrong with your old wheels though, better than mine! Wink Not so pretty, and super hard to clean hubcaps too! Confused

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Silence262
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old wheels are now for sale. I do have a classified on this site as well as Craigslist. And yes, the van does feel higher than before!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bntbrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes a good difference driving too doesn't it? Mine did. Looks much better IMHO.

www.DIYSeattle.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are to be congratulated for your excellent judgement regarding what looks good and works a long time.

I must warn you that I have the same set-up and the tires have lasted way too long. I can't remember the actual mileage but I think it's over a hundred thousand miles. It's like the sidewalls give out before the tread does. Of course, that says quite a lot for the suspension on Vanagons, doesn't it?

Chuey
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuey wrote:
You are to be congratulated for your excellent judgement regarding what looks good and works a long time.

I must warn you that I have the same set-up and the tires have lasted way too long. I can't remember the actual mileage but I think it's over a hundred thousand miles. It's like the sidewalls give out before the tread does. Of course, that says quite a lot for the suspension on Vanagons, doesn't it?

Chuey

Somehow I don't think the OP is going to get 100,000 miles out of his used tires! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silence262
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't get 100,000, but I'll sure get more than the 26,000 miles I did with the Hankooks.

The van is in a constant state of improvement. I just replaced the passenger-side mirror, the rubber step treads, and the hatch struts. Since this is a daily driver, it needs to be in top shape.

Future projects are front carpet replacement, maybe some exhaust work (muffler works, but looks awful) and upgraded shocks.

Maybe a few years down the road will come a seam treatment and another respray. But I think it looks very god as it is...thanks to all who complimented the van on the looks!

Silence262
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tam, those are the wheels, but not the tires. I sourced the tires locally; got them for $150 for the whole set of 4. I bought the wheels for $549 for the set (plus shipping, of course.)

Everything I bought this time around for it, including labor, ans under $1000.
Tires, wheels, mounting and balancing, lugnuts/bnolts included. New stiff mirror, new step treads, new belts (mine were pretty worn) a replacement gas cap (thanks, Eric, for the loaner!) and 2 new hatch struts.

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new wheels. Thanks for posting photos.

I think you ended up with about 1/4" more ground clearance. So no significant loss of motor power, a very good thing.

And the bigger rims give you room to upgrade to Big Brakes in front.

I encourage you to make new Shocks a priority. Possibly the best bang for the buck upgrade you can get. I recommend Bilsteins from Van-Cafe.com
Silence262
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After driving for a couple of weeks now, I can report that the new wheels are a success. Not that the old ones were bad...they were actually quite good...but the new ones feel better, and raise the van about an inch (which you can notice getting in and out.)

Great confidence in moderately winding country roads. I can take the 35MPH curves at 55 without drama. Vanagons are already nice handlers, and the big rubber enhances it further.

Acceleration is only minimally affected, and I don't even notice the difference anymore. It has always been a pretty brisk driver for a Vanagon (always have to add that disclaimer!) I have dropped about 200 RPM at highway speeds.

Dan, where's the GTG going to be on Monday? I want to gather the wife and head out there, but she works until 6.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'll be at Cinderella's Ice cream stand in Sylvan beach from 6-8pm Mon May 6th

Dan

Quote:
After driving for a couple of weeks now, I can report that the new wheels are a success. Not that the old ones were bad...they were actually quite good...but the new ones feel better, and raise the van about an inch (which you can notice getting in and out.)

Great confidence in moderately winding country roads. I can take the 35MPH curves at 55 without drama. Vanagons are already nice handlers, and the big rubber enhances it further.

Acceleration is only minimally affected, and I don't even notice the difference anymore. It has always been a pretty brisk driver for a Vanagon (always have to add that disclaimer!) I have dropped about 200 RPM at highway speeds.

Dan, where's the GTG going to be on Monday? I want to gather the wife and head out there, but she works until 6.

tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Great to know, especially the price. I was told I needed new wheels next year, might ask for them for Christmas or my birthday, though will see if anything else I *need* first comes up...

tam
Silence262 wrote:
Tam, those are the wheels, but not the tires. I sourced the tires locally; got them for $150 for the whole set of 4. I bought the wheels for $549 for the set (plus shipping, of course.)

Everything I bought this time around for it, including labor, ans under $1000.
Tires, wheels, mounting and balancing, lugnuts/bnolts included. New stiff mirror, new step treads, new belts (mine were pretty worn) a replacement gas cap (thanks, Eric, for the loaner!) and 2 new hatch struts.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: