Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help a Vw Bus Idiot! Electrical
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoctorP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would ask about my 1973 bus while evyone is thinking about this brake light circuit. Brake light power is good all the way through the master cylinder switches, but is not making it to the brake lights.th wiring diagram doesn't show anything should be intermediary. Any suggestions other than a broken wire somewhere in between? How are the brake light wires routed? Age leaving the MC switches they seem to go back up to the cab. How does their journey continue? DP
Sdmjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Shout out to OllieHank,DadaCheese,EricBarb,Toolbox etc Reply with quote

So I managed to make it with brake lights for about 2 weeks. Now i have lost brake lights again. Mad

Before i go on: Toolbox, you were right and i ended up with the 3rd brakelight acting like a giant turn signal (kinda comical--so i simply stopped using the turn signals!). the idea of running a wire "from the brake light switch" Confused was more than my brain could stand. Alas, it looks like i might have to do it anyway...

So i had a minor escapade in a parking deck with a concrete abutment ripping the roofrack off my bus. Bent up drip rails that will now need to be hammered and some paint touch up but it's hard to imagine that would hurt the brake lights. but eerily they stopped working that day too. (I drive my bus and dings-n-stuff don't bug me too much..sh*t happens. What does bug me is not being able to drive it and i must have brake lights to do so)

OllieHank, i tried to start with the same checklist you gave me. 1-the fuse is fine. And that is as far as i got with positive news. Shocked
Here's what I know using the test light:
1- There is NO power on the red wire at the taillight.
2- There is no power on the wire at the MC (note-This is the brand new wire i just ran. It all looks fine but no juice. The wire can't be bad. IT CANT BE.).
3- With the ignition on, at the 9pin box, i have no power at 54 (input from brake light switch) which makes since because i don't have power on the wire underneath at the MC
4- With the ignition on, at the 9pin box, i have no power at 54f (brake light output to turn signal switch)
As i type this frustrating plea, i realize 'the knee bone is connected to the shinbone' and whatever is stopping the juice is likely stopping the flow to all these parts but i don't understand it.

Can any of you offer me some guidance here. Should I try to just bypass the 9pin box all together?? Am i ignoring the obvious and need to rewire from the fuse all over again?? Apologies for the whining--i have a great bus that runs awesome with the one caveat:my slow moving vehicle doesn't indicate to the person behind it that it is slowing down some more! I can't drive a vehicle with no brake lights.[/i]
Sdmjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: All Fixed Reply with quote

I got brake lights. - First problem was a bad tester light. Yes, i already put palm to forehead in a swift motion- d'oh! DOH! Everything is groovy now though I am going to be replacing the indicator switch on steering wheel before too long and will be FULL o questions then... Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: