Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552418&highlight=]How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts[/url

Hi All
First determine if you have the right tool.
8mm Triple Square
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

6mm Allen

One of the following you have in your tool box?
410 NUTBUSTER® PLIER

Locking Pliers

PIPE WRENCH

12MM X 12POINT SOCKET HAMMERED OVER BOLT HEAD

BOLT EXTRACTOR

LAST RESORT
ftp2leta wrote:
Cut any stubborn 6mm axle bolt head, on trany side it's easy, a grinder and cutting wheel will do the job, on the wheel side use a high speed air tool with a small cutting wheel.

Remove drive shaft. Ok, to remove the remaining drive axle bolt i mig weld a 13mm nut.

The replacement of drive axle bolt should be part of normal maintenance. It is crucial to deeply clean the bolt head before attempting to remove those, a partially inserted 6mm Allen socket will never be enough.

The TORKS 12 point bolt are way better than the ALLEN one.

They are a pain anyway

If you do not have a welder you can, put double nuts on the bolt. Tighten them against each other. Put a wrench on the inboard nut and unscrew it.

If is broke off flush with the flange. You can try a left hand drill with a reversing drill motor. Good luck these bolts are hard.

Still no go. Weld a nut from the inside circumference to the broken piece and use a wrench to extract it.

Good Luck
Tcash

Last edited by Tcash on Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 am; edited 3 times in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I use a hammer and chisel or even an air hammer with a chisel tip to start them to loosen.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

channel lock 410 will get them off in 30 seconds if you never used one before (don't use em backwards Laughing) and and 4 seconds if you have. I always have 2 sets in my tool box, my old dull set and a fresh set. When I worked in a shop and they were used multiple times a day they do wear out in a year or three. normal person, or my current self, gets 10 years out of a set I am sure.

better than vice grips ANY day. Just bought the smaller version, called battery pliers or something, have yet to test em out tho. the 410s are magick tho.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big square jaw vise grips work well. They are available at Home Depot. don't know the number of them. They are a staple of my tool box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps to add lead plate or some other anti-seize to the threads of the screw when installing them. This helps avoid problems breaking them loose upon removal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most new bolts come with a stuff similar to Locktite Blue on them to help prevent the bolts from backing out.

That is what you want on there, not an anti-sieze.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Most new bolts come with a stuff similar to Locktite Blue on them to help prevent the bolts from backing out.

That is what you want on there, not an anti-sieze.

I can't really argue with that, but I seldom use locktite. I've not had problems with the screws backing out because of using lead plate. Something other than just putting them in dry needs to happen to help keep moisture off the threads. Locktite would do this, too. In theory, properly torqued, they wouldn't need locktite. In theory, right!
DirtyCossack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammering a cheap socket on worked best for me.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

file a slight taper on the end of a 1/4" allen key socket, pound it in, bobs your uncle, i've never been beaten Very Happy

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had luck hammering a 12 point 12mm socket over the head of the bolt in question.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

I tried many of the above techniques to no avail.

What finally worked for me was th get under there with a hacksaw and actually saw off the bolt heads, at the shoulder. It was an unpleasant job, but it worked when nothing else would.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

Air Chisel works great... Blast a V into the fastener and then walk it around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
Air Chisel works great... Blast a V into the fastener and then walk it around.

Alas, I do not have access to compressed air. Well, my next door neighbor has a compressor, but I've not talked to him since before last November's election. Rolling Eyes

I did notch the bolt head with a cold chisel and small sledge, and really wailed on it (as much as that can be done lying under a bus), but still could not get it to budge.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

Drill it and wack off the heads with a hammer/twist off with pliers. Remove the cv then grab the rest with vise grips, pliers, or your hand even. It'll come right out.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Drill it and wack off the heads with a hammer/twist off with pliers. Remove the cv then grab the rest with vise grips, pliers, or your hand even. It'll come right out.

In the end, the hacksaw was easier than drilling. Tried both.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

Digging up this old thread just to add my +1 for the Channel Lock 410. Worked like a charm.
tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

I have a bus out in the field, no power available just hand tools. Have the trans out and one axle off and all but ONE cv bolt loose on the other.

What would be best bet? This Channel locks 410 is THAT good huh? My Various vice grips would not touch it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

Small sharp chisel and a hammer. Smack the head rim towards the lefty loosy direction
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:
I have a bus out in the field, no power available just hand tools. Have the trans out and one axle off and all but ONE cv bolt loose on the other.

What would be best bet? This Channel locks 410 is THAT good huh? My Various vice grips would not touch it.

With the right bit a hand impact driver might do the job for you. Hand impact drivers are great tools and every classic VW mechanic should have one. You need a 2-4# hammer to go with it.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Remove Stripped CV Bolts Reply with quote

The 410 is the ticket. The chisel sounds like it should work, but if you want to get this done the first time and without a lot of trouble buy the 410s. I haven't found a lot of other use for them, but I'm happy to have them in my toolbox knowing they will save me again on something else in the future.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: