Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shorted out wipers
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkilmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Shorted out wipers Reply with quote

I am in need of advise, I am tracking down some wiring gremlins in my 71 dormobile, The wper fuse blows instantly when I turn the ignition on, I have traced wires and it all seems to be there, Is there a spot where one of you could give me an Idea to look,
I.E. maybe a bad wiper motor? I,m not sure, any ideas are apreciated!

Thank you in advance

Dylan
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to start isolating the circuit. Put a new fuse in and disconnect the wiper motor. Turn on the key, Does it still blow? If it still blows, then it is not the motor and you have a wiring problem. Disconnect wiring from the switch and the motor and check the wire for continuity to ground. Most likely you are shorting to ground in the switch, the motor or in the wiring. Finding shorts is usually by trial and error. Usually you will find a short in a connector or any where that a wire passes through a bulkhead. Start with the motor and work your way to the power supply (the fuse) and sooner or later you will find your problem. Just stock up on fuses for your troubleshooting Very Happy Let us know what you find.
Leo'sForeignAuto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dylan- maybe you should just use rainex everyday and forget about fixing your wiper motors. its easier. why i had a78 chevy van that did that evrytime i turned on the lights so i wired a house fuse into it with duct tape and it only caught on fire twice in three months. btw, i want to buy that sweet white bus of yours thats parked in your driveway. ill trade you some rainex for it. Geronimo
djkilmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

It was a bad switch, wipers work great!

now about those missing roof vents...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: