Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reaching the starter nut
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reaching the starter nut Reply with quote

Finishing up my stroker installation in my 67SC and boy did I have a time reaching the starter nut on top, I have a set of DRLAs and getting around them is quite the chore. Any tricks? Remove the battery for some crawl space? A long boat to the destination would be to remove the fuel tank and crawl back in there , reach through the cheeze Shocked grader metal partition and put on the blasted nut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
big bus mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the right hand carb off, or find someone with short forearms who is double jointed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big bus mike wrote:
Take the right hand carb off, or find someone with short forearms who is double jointed.

have you met my brother? Smile he has always been able to reach, i hurt myself to get there.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that set up. I find that removing the air cleaner and reaching between the top of the carb and the shroud works. Ratcheting open-end wrench will save you some hassle.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ratchet wrench was the greatest tool ever invented for pulling VW motors. Don't forgetto get a lacky to lay under the bus and hold the bolt into the starter Wink

brad
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratcheting box end wrench is tits for this job.

Both my buses have dual Dell's.
What has worked for me is to stick my head right in the engine compartment, I mean literally such that my chin is resting on the oil filler and the alternator is at my left ear.
I can then reach around the back with my right hand so that my elbow bends right around the 1&2 manifold right at engine level.
I can then reach the nut with my right hand and get the wrench on it.
Don't need to remove anything to access it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: reaching the starter nut Reply with quote

Great replies from all. Some contortions are indeed necessary for this proceedure.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since my bus already had a big ass hole cut out of the luggage area, I installed a type 3 engine lid. Lift the lid and you can stare at the nut all day long.
SurfCityRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a little more input on that sucker...
When the engine is out, clean the bolt and nut really well. Mate them together and make sure they're harmonious, that way you can whip the nut on with your fingertips. I've also gooped up the bolt where it goes through the tranny with RTV so that there's some resistance with good results.

Get in there and commit! Hug the engine like you love it...full on face in the pulley! Give her a reach-around, and snap it on with your index finger and thumb, tighten it with a ratchet wrench, and be done!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will also add that in addition to cleaning the threads so the nut spins on with ease, don't coat the bolt where it goes through the case with grease or oil, leave it dry. it makes it very difficult to spin the nut on w/o holding the backside

the right side bolt is the easy one; getting the left side nut on and tightened on a case w/o the fixed nut and a doghouse fan shroud is alot more difficult

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
ttullo1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always put the bolt through, then lowered the jack a bit to put pressure on it
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2028cc with dual 42DCNFs on Berg Manifolds. I've always bolted up the motor before installing the carbs and removed the carbs before unbolting the motor. My motor is just a little too wide to drop with the carbs attached.

I push the #1 bolt through and then thread the nut on by hand while pushing down slightly to keep it from spinning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: