Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a 74 mm Stroke by 88 mm bore with 042 or 044 heads?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on what size you want. You linked to the 1 5/8" ones.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bugpack-1-1-2-Street-Max-Heater-Box-Right-p/2507-11-2507-14.htm
and
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bugpack-1-1-2-Street-Max-Heater-Box-Left-p/2507-10-2507-13.htm

are 1 1/2" for a lot less $.

Danwvw wrote:
So I guess these are the heater boxes? 1 5/8"] J-tube Heater Box.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then when you said 1 5/8" a couple of replies up then you were taking about Extractors?
Ok Strike the above in italics, I think someone said that then took it out.
I was out looking at the Intake manifolds I have from a 1974 Bug and man, they seem little, not much point on bolting them onto ported heads, so guess I should also consider finding some bigger ones or going ahead with Dual 40 mm IDF carbs and manifolds now.

Last edited by Danwvw on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I see people making recommendations to this guy that aren't even reading the details of what he wants to do.

This happens all the time John, I for one appreciate you noticing...... Smile lol
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
I understand what you are saying, but you are mistaken. The deck is how far the piston is below (or above) the top of the block (or in our case cylinders) i.e. it's distance from the surface of the head, which in the case of this head with a step is the surface that contacts the cylinder.

This is how it should be measured - if you are trying to build a stroked stock bore engine you should hopefully know enough about the head to accommodate the step in quench calculations. The additional volume created by a 60 thou step will be closer to 9cc - can't imagine why anyone would be trying to create a 70cc compressed volume on a stock bore engine.

The effect of squish on a stock bore VW where no flycutting has been done is overstated anyway. Due to the valve angle and shape of the chamber compared to the relatively small squish area it won't create a lot of swirl unless the head is flycut, creating a slightly tighter wedge.

As soon as you go to a larger bore, you are going to have to cut the "step" out anyway, but you can make up a little more volume with chamber work.

Im not mistaken my friend. Ive been building performance engines over 20 years. If i said it.. you can take it to the bank.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
Quokka42 wrote:
I understand what you are saying, but you are mistaken. The deck is how far the piston is below (or above) the top of the block (or in our case cylinders) i.e. it's distance from the surface of the head, which in the case of this head with a step is the surface that contacts the cylinder.

This is how it should be measured - if you are trying to build a stroked stock bore engine you should hopefully know enough about the head to accommodate the step in quench calculations. The additional volume created by a 60 thou step will be closer to 9cc - can't imagine why anyone would be trying to create a 70cc compressed volume on a stock bore engine.

The effect of squish on a stock bore VW where no flycutting has been done is overstated anyway. Due to the valve angle and shape of the chamber compared to the relatively small squish area it won't create a lot of swirl unless the head is flycut, creating a slightly tighter wedge.

As soon as you go to a larger bore, you are going to have to cut the "step" out anyway, but you can make up a little more volume with chamber work.

Im not mistaken my friend. Ive been building performance engines over 20 years. If i said it.. you can take it to the bank.

Not sure what all of this is about here, it is welcome so long as it helps understand which heads to choose or helps with the build. Seems to confuse me. I thought the step in the head was already added into the head volume cc's given by the manufacture for figuring CR.
In this build I am using 88 mm Thick wall cylinders which will require the step to be cut out and my clearance at the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder when the piston is up will need to be about .025" to .045" whatever gives a CR just over 8:1. If I can find some Dual 40 mm IDF carbs, I may want a little more compression as I think they should cool the heads better than the stock set-up type intake manifold.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am sorry. It is semantics, but the important thing is you are correct as far as I am aware - the volume created by the step is included in the head volume. The deck is always calculated the same way, but an engine with this type of head and stock CR would only require about 10 thou of deck, not the 40 thou clearance you will often hear quoted.

Deck volume is calculated and added to the chamber volume to calculate CR, but an engine with such heads could run zero or even negative deck with little worry as the piston will still have clearance to the head at TDC.

I've never had the step with the heads left in place and even on a stock build it would probably be a good idea to have it cut out and then set the deck yourself. As far as I am aware any head cut for a larger bore will have the step removed, including if you are running "slip-ins" but someone suggested this was not the case.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
mightymouse wrote:
Quokka42 wrote:

Not sure what all of this is about here, it is welcome so long as it helps understand which heads to choose or helps with the build. Seems to confuse me. I thought the step in the head was already added into the head volume cc's given by the manufacture for figuring CR.
In this build I am using 88 mm Thick wall cylinders which will require the step to be cut out and my clearance at the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder when the piston is up will need to be about .025" to .045" whatever gives a CR just over 8:1. If I can find some Dual 40 mm IDF carbs, I may want a little more compression as I think they should cool the heads better than the stock set-up type intake manifold.

Calculate your dynamic compression to match your cam. Thats the only way to get it right. I can do it if youd like. What cam did you decide on?

Note to EVERYONE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I haven't gotten this far yet but for example take the CB Performance 2232 Camshaft here: 2232 With
adv. dur. 262 deg.
valve lift .396" No recommended CR is given.
CB Performance Calculator.
This head for Example: Los-Panchito CNC-Ported 40X35 with 59cc of volume,
Deck Height: .015"
The CR comes out to be 8.3 to 1
A MoFoco head with 53cc of head volume like this: Super Street 35.5X32 would give a 9.1 to 1 CR with the same .015" Deck Height.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is why we veterans can't stand the "step".

You have to be sure you account for it, and also don't account for it twice, when doing your math.

The ONLY time the step should come into play is if you have a 85.5mm bore engine. This is because anything larger and the piston can hit the step on the edges. So if you are running 87mm or larger P&Cs, you should cut the step out of the head ANYWAYS.

Running with the step adds .060" to your piston/head clearance IF you measure from the top of the piston to the top of the cylinder. IF you have a 85.5mm bore engine, you can simply run the piston flush with the cylinder, and the head step gives you the piston/head clearance you need. If you have .060" from piston to top of cylinder, and are also running a stepped head, the CR will be too low and it's going to run horrible.

The example above with .015" deck height, the engine won't last 2k miles.

If you are trying to figure out what works best, you MUST set the Deck Height to .060" or so, and do all calculations from that. To figure out what CR you have with what head CCs, or to figure out what head CCs are needed to get a target CR. Then if during assembly, you are off by .010-.015", it's not a big deal and you can just make that minor adjustment and run with it.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Ok I haven't gotten this far yet but for example take the CB Performance 2232 Camshaft here: 2232 With
adv. dur. 262 deg.
valve lift .396" No recommended CR is given.
CB Performance Calculator.
This head for Example: Los-Panchito CNC-Ported 40X35 with 59cc of volume,
Deck Height: .015"
The CR comes out to be 8.3 to 1
A MoFoco head with 53cc of head volume like this: Super Street 35.5X32 would give a 9.1 to 1 CR with the same .015" Deck Height.

Dan for your personal engine bible (in your head) deck should always be set at .050-.060. Thats the safe place for expansion, piston tilt if the engine gets to advanced age, carbon buildup, stretch of everything, and if a rod bearing starts to go away you will have a bit of room.
Race engines that will be torn down and inspected the magic number is .040, if you like it tight... .030.

From there you just use your combustion chamber to adjust your static compression number.

As for dynamic compression, start reading about it and you will learn a lot about engines. Then use the wallace calculator to figure your dynamic. Bigger the cam, the lower the dynamic will be usually.

So you have 2 schools of thought. #1 run a small cam and low compression and the engine will last forever. Yeah because it doesnt build a ton of cylinder pressure. The cam is properly sized to the compression.
#2 school of thought is us performance guys. Run more cam and you need more compression to match it. So now you are doing a balancing act to gain some performance. With the bigger cams longer duration you will effectively not be making much cylinder pressure till the higher RPM range.
So you have an engine that drives very similar to the low CR/small cam engine and usually has the exact same cyl pressures in the driving rpm band. But when you step on it once you get past your normal driving range you notice the engine comes to life and you go sailing past that semi truck UPHILL. And this variation will also last forever. As long as you match the compression to the cam. Big cam and low compression..= runs like shit. ANY cam and too much compression = overheats and runs like shit.

That is what "performance" is all about.
Pick a combo that is well matched for its intended use, the vehicle its in, the gearing involved and the guy behind the pedal.

Note to EVERYONE.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the calculations again using the .060 Deck Height recommended for the two heads in the Example above and got these results.
Los-Panchito CNC-Ported 40X35
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Super Street 35.5X32

Looks like the small valve head get's me closer to the compression Ratio I wanted which was 8.5:1 interesting! I guess this means that the larger valve head would need to be fly-cut a little more for it to give a little more compression. Any thoughts or comments about the CB-2232 Cam with 262 deg. advertised duration and .396" lift at the valves with 1.1 Rockers for this build. CB-2232.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Thoughts on what effect running the Shorter Rods 5.325" Porsche 356 and 912 Length will have on "Dynamic Compression"? Perhaps Up it a Little?
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have to remember, panchitos have the step and it needs cut out. Last 2 sets i did, they were exactly 55 cc once the step was cut.
So redo your calcs.

And when you do the dynamic it calcs the rod length and tells you. So yeah you could put both in there. but i wouldnt shorten the rod. Id leave it at 5.4

Note to EVERYONE.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! and remember.. CB is retarded and if you buy panchitos and tell them to cut them for your 88s... you HAVE TO specify to cut out the step. They wont do it.
Im lucky to have a machinist local who is also a samba member. so i just handle stuff like that.

Note to EVERYONE.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Any Thoughts on what effect running the Shorter Rods 5.325" Porsche 356 and 912 Length will have on "Dynamic Compression"? Perhaps Up it a Little?

Tell me more about Dynamic Compression? Found this on Wikipedia In a piston engine, it is the ratio between the volume of the cylinder and combustion chamber when the piston is at the bottom of its stroke, and the volume of the combustion chamber when the piston is at the top of its stroke.

Ok so In our working example with 59 cc Head volume and a cam with the Intake closing 45 Degrees ABDC it's 6.87:1, Did I do that right?

P.S. I don't have the CB-Performance cam 2232 Intake closing so I used 45 Degrees which is what the Web Cam 86 has.
Calculator.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Eagle cams are ground straight up on 107LC so intake closing will be 107+131-180 = 58 degrees ABDC

That was the lobe centre plus half the lobe minus 180 degrees for BDC
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but 2 things. Dont use the 59cc volume number. since the step must be cut out of the panchito.
AND you must put in your target altitude.

You are on the right track. You are good with anything between 7 and 8 dynamic CR for pump gas. I try to stay out of the 8s if i can. This is not a very efficient chamber and was designed when leaded gas was 103-110 octane.
So i consider 91 as a MINIMUM for these engines.
But if you did want to run 87 you would stay between 6 and 7 dynamic and youd be doin alright.

if someone lives at extreme altitude i try and set them up so they make decent power for their every day use and can still travel down to sea level without any changes. So they are a tad on the high side for sea level travel, but for their constant daily use at 4 or 6k elevation they have the proper squish goin on.

Note to EVERYONE.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Just typed in 9000 feet and got a Dynamic CR of 5 something to 1. I live on the coast at about sea level but plan on driving the bus to Colorado in the future. Still thinking about the Mofoco 42's. I think they are 53 cc heads I think that is what they will be when fit for 88 mm Thick wall cylinders, Probably the same as for 90.5 or 92's would be, Not sure.
Also thanks Quokka42 for the bit about the CB-Performance 2232 Camshaft figuring to have a 58 Degree ABDC Intake Closure. I will run that and see how it changes the results.
Results here:
Static compression ratio of 7.6:1.
Effective stroke is 2.37 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 6.37:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 117.81 PSI.
Your dynamic boost compression ratio, reflecting static c.r., cam timing, altitude, and boost of 0 PSI is 6.37 :1.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 32
Interesting the Web-Cam 86 increases the compression and effective stroke a little.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use whats on the cam card for the ABDC measurement.

Note to EVERYONE.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
I believe Eagle cams are ground straight up on 107LC so intake closing will be 107+131-180 = 58 degrees ABDC

That was the lobe centre plus half the lobe minus 180 degrees for BDC

So help me understand how to do this. Lobe center 107 + 107/2? Which would be 107 + 53.5 which is 160.5 not 131?
Found this quote from this thread: CB-Engle Cam Card Needed.
modok wrote:
Ok, I'll figure it out for you. The 2241 on my shelf was 245 degrees at .050"
245/2=122.5
122.5+107-180=49.5
As you can see half the duration + lobe center=closing point atdc with no advance.
So 49.5 ABDC with no advance.
Engle usually uses 3 or 4 degrees advance(104 intake centerline angle), so subtract 4 and call the intake closing point 46 degrees for comparison.
So there you go-46 degrees
I do have the cam card, but it does NOT have figures for .050", only running duration. But from this I see it was intended to be 4 degrees advanced.
The cb catalog gives duration at .050", but there are no published valve events.
I don't think there is anything remarkable about this particular grind.
The 2241 is about the same as an engle 110 in actuality.

I think there are about ten different brands of engle 110 cam.
You would generally want 8 to 8.5 or so cr for all brands of engle 110.

So the formula used here for Intake Closure is (Lobe Center)+(Duration @ .50"/2)-180 (-4????? what is this?)
Which would be 107+(230/2)-180=42 Degrees ABDC Intake Closes for the CB-2232 Camshaft. Or do I need to do I need to subtract 4 from 42 and the answer becomes 38 Degrees ABDC for Intake Closure?
With 42 the calculator gave this.
Static compression ratio of 7.6:1.
Effective stroke is 2.63 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 6.96:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 132.50 PSI.
Your dynamic boost compression ratio, reflecting static c.r., cam timing, altitude, and boost of 0 PSI is 6.96 :1.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 39

What does Volume to Pressure Index mean?

Last edited by Danwvw on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 36

Jump to: