Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hylomar??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrcade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

So is this what was originally used on all vw cases?
I’m about to build a all new stroker
Anyone have tried and true sealants for all the different
Parts that require sealants?
Case,jugs,oil pump, etc
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Case halves, I use good old tried and tested Permatex aviation Form-a-gasket, Have never had a leak in 30 years.

Everything else I use Permatex Right Stuff urethane sealant.

If I want my cases to look nice I prep and paint them.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Case halves, I use good old tried and tested Permatex aviation Form-a-gasket, Have never had a leak in 30 years.

Everything else I use Permatex Right Stuff urethane sealant.

If I want my cases to look nice I prep and paint them.

Ditto... If its good enough for airplane engines it is good enough for ground engines...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

aviation permatex works fine..but can be a pain to remove so i switched to gasgacinch on my race motor which was being rebuilt monthly...and continued to use it on stock engines with no issues...permatex ultra copper used sparingly on base of cylinders...when i could still get genuine VW factory longblocks they used a blue sealant which i assume was hylomar
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Hylomar was designed and produced by Rolls Royce for turbine engines. I have used it so seal aircooled VW engines and then found it in my full flow oil filter. I would not recommend using it. Permatex as stated above is excellent or if you want something easy to clean up you can use Curil-T. Three bond is also a good sealant... It doesn't matter which you use but please use it SPARINGLY!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

About 20 different products can and will work. Seems there’s a belief or maybe a trend that says the more expensive or obscure means it works better. One thing you’d never want to use is silicone. This too became a trend back in 70s and 80s.

I gravitate towards a product available anywhere because it’s been around for over 100 years no doubt improved over time, and it’s cheap. It cleans up easy with lacquer thinner or alcohol, this seems to escape some fellows.

I used hylomar working on aircraft engines, it works well. Choose a product you like and follow the directions and you’ll sleep better at night. Father in law told me a story once of his experience as a boy working in the general store they sold 3 different kinds of coffee but in fact it was all the same. The ones that opted for higher price swore it was better than the lower priced choices. It’s human nature I guess.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

All I remember was that it was blue and expensive. Curil K2 or loktite would be my choice.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Aviation sealant comes off easily with Permatex sealer remover…wipes right off
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Isn’t all of this in a sticky somewhere?

Hmm. It appears not.
I remember reading about Yamabond and a whole host of other things including ketchup!
As I recall, the ketchup worked for a while but eventually failed.

I used all Permatex products in my build. 3H Aviation for the halves, 2B for the relief valves, alternator stand, oil pump, and various block offs. For the cylinders, I used Ultra Copper.
Built and commissioned in 2018. So far so good.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Quote:
the ketchup worked for a while but eventually failed.

Did somebody in the other sealant thread already mention, that the ketchup did not pass mustard?

Rolling Eyes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

We forgot to mention the grease and silk thread. Yes it’s a real thing.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:
the ketchup worked for a while but eventually failed.

Did somebody in the other sealant thread already mention, that the ketchup did not cut the mustard

Rolling Eyes

Fixed it for ya Laughing
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Lettuce get back to the original topic.

Embarassed
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Actually it was a sealer and a silk thread.... Saw a thing on a program that was showing assembling Lycoming aircraft engines and that was the technique....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Case halves, I use good old tried and tested Permatex aviation Form-a-gasket

Which one?
#1, #2 or #3, or 300?

I guess it depends how old you are what "permatex" means
Most of us that would be #3 but for some it would be 300

You can make #3 into 300..... just leave the cap loose and wait for it to thicken.

300 can be converted to #3 by adding a few drops of everclear, but, this has not been officially confirmed.

people that grew up on #1 & #2 SHOULD be dead, you know, just basic logic, but they still sell it, so.... somebody must be buying it.

And they came put with a new one too, form-a-gasket #1372, which I am too old to know what it is. No idea at all. But it doesn't even have a silly name, so, maybe it isn't so hot, or they ran out of catchy names.

Permatex makes a copy of Hylomar, #85420 "permashield"
IMO does not seem to adhere to surfaces adequately, or maybe I'm not using it right, or maybe it's just not very good. or both

I'd rather use condiments than import foreign sealants. Razz
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Sriracha sauce works to seal leaky case bolts mid road-trip.

Same reason the catchup usually works, xanthum gum hardens with heat.
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Actually it was a sealer and a silk thread.... Saw a thing on a program that was showing assembling Lycoming aircraft engines and that was the technique....

Many years ago when I attended school to get my Airframe and Power plant license part of the curriculum was rebuilding a Continental O-470 flat six air cooled engine. By the book we used grease and silk thread and it didn’t leak. 😀

I suspect the grease was used because the next group of students would have to completely disassemble and build that engine again. Those poor old engines had been apart too many times to count. I just happen to have the manual in front of me and it makes reference to tite seal compound and thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look at the size of that thrust bearing

Look at paragraph h R/H side about half way down
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Dale M. wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Many years ago when I attended school to get my Airframe and Power plant license part of the curriculum was rebuilding a Continental O-470 flat six air cooled engine. By the book we used grease and silk thread and it didn’t leak. 😀

I suspect the grease was used because the next group of students would have to completely disassemble and build that engine again. Those poor old engines had been apart too many times to count. I just happen to have the manual in front of me and it makes reference to tite seal compound and thread.

Look at the size of that thrust bearing

Look at paragraph h R/H side about half way down

Funny years ago I used dental floss to do the same on a engine.
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

I use the "#00 silk thread trick", sticking it into my Permatex Aviation on case halves, just as described above with respect to the bolt holes! I hang out with some plane guys and an A&P guy, and they told me to try it on my VW engine since it was so much like the continental pictured above.

JEEZ look at the width of those mains.

The craziest thing is, our cases won't leak even if you don't use it! Laughing My car flies often enough that I want to be able to pass my annual if the FAA comes callin' so I still do it. Razz
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Shane Tuttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hylomar?? Reply with quote

That thrust bearing takes on most of the abuse. The loads the propeller induces along with the moment of the plane from that point is massive. Add a constant speed prop and student pilots and you have the Perfect Storm.

We used grease in my school for the very reason given. It's taken apart soooo many times a year. Otherwise, I believe Continental updated their O/H manual to allow Loctite 515 Gasket eliminator. LOVE that stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: