Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
tristessa wrote:
An earlier diesel with the pump out of the block and flange on the side of the head wouldn't need the notch.

The vacuum pump is indeed on the block and not interfering.

It appears that with the engine at the right height, I could use the current coolant flange and it will fit under the seam of the fuel tank, though I don't think the fuel tank cover would fit as-is.

I've got a blockoff plate on that flange and run heater coolant from the outlet between 3 & 4 on the cylinder head in my '75, which has a counter-flow 8V gasser in it (ABA block, 1.8L head).

I had to pull the fuel tank cover for clearance even with the flange blocked and the oil pressure port plugged, but it's an earlier 002 gearbox (shorter than 091 anyway) with an adapter. The Mexican bellhousing would give more clearance for sure.

Did you just use some T's to get the source for the heater? Could you please post a pic of this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My head came from an '84 GTI, which had a factory water-cooled oil cooler above the filter. The coolant flange has an "extra" port on the bottom to run water to that oil cooler, which is currently feeding my heater. For oil temperature I've got a 48-plate external cooler fed by a Wahler sandwich adapter with an 80C thermostat.

I'll see if I can get pictures later but honestly it's not much to look at. Laughing
trevorbrady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Mexican Bay Bus:
Bellhousing
Input Shaft
Carrier Bar
Brackets
Motor mounts
Oil Pan
Flywheel

I've just completed a diesel --> '74 Westy conversion using a Kennedy kit and a home-made starter motor dapter plate. I have never seen the VW Mexico water-cooled parts listed above before. I don't suppose you have any photos of the parts before you fitted them to the van/engine? I'd love to see them in more detail. Particularly the carrier bar, brackets, motor mounts Smile

thanks and hi from Ireland!!

trev
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev-

I never realized that I accidentally double-posted the pics of the boxes! So I edited that post to show the pics of the parts out of the boxes.

Unfortunately, the thing doesn't look much different than the last pic. I haven't had time to work on it recently, with a bunch of other projects that ended up higher on the priority list.

However, I do have some time off work in a couple weeks, so I may at least try to get the hanger* built then, and work on the wiring.

*It appears the carrier bar needs to mount lower than just up against the frame rails. There must have been a mounting piece similar to what the bus used that I don't have, or the frame rails were changed along the way.

So my plan is to build something that will attach to the frame, which will allow the carrier bar to be mounted, as well as me to build a trailer hitch, and remount the bumper, which has been off for a very long time, due to rust on the passenger side right where it bolts up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
If you don't like that, too bad--Its my bus!

Well Said!! I'll follow this thread if for no other reason than that. I couldn't agree with you more. Very Happy
trevorbrady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Trev-

I never realized that I accidentally double-posted the pics of the boxes! So I edited that post to show the pics of the parts out of the boxes.

thanks for sorting out the link and showing the parts. I'd be very interested in seeing how the carrier bar bolts to the engine. Whenever you get back working it will you take a photo?

thanks Smile
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevorbrady wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
Trev-

thanks for sorting out the link and showing the parts. I'd be very interested in seeing how the carrier bar bolts to the engine. Whenever you get back working it will you take a photo?

thanks Smile

Pics of the carrier bar mounts:

Left of bus, "back" of engine. In the upper left is the exhaust from the turbo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Right of the bus, "front" of the engine. The bracket bolts to the block behind the coolant pipe and oil filter. There is a long leg that comes toward the rear of the bus; I'm not sure what that would have bolted to on the Mexican bus. It goes from just above the green rubber mount to the left edge of the pic.

View of right side mount from behind. You can see the "leg" better in this shot. Also visible is the Mexican oil filler and dipstick. The AC compressor is really kinda in the way of the dipstick, but I think the filler would still be useable in that location with a funnel.

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are some details of the frame "beefing"/engine carrier/bumper mount/trailer hitch.

Basically, the frame will be beefed up with some 1/4 inch thick 4x3 angle iron.

The angle iron will be mounted to the frame with 1/2 inch bolts. Two will go through the old engine carrier mounts, and three others will be added, one using another existing hole.

The new engine carrier bar mounts a few inches toward the front of the bus compared to the old carrier mounts. So a piece of angle iron will be bolted to this carrier to mount the engine. This will allow a little bit of adjust-ability.

The old bumper mounts have some rust and the passenger side are totally unusable, so the far back of the new will have large captive nuts welded to mount the bumper brackets to.

Flat plate and box tubing will be utilized for the trailer hitch portion, with the receiver being just below the bumper.

Drawing of the design:

Bumper bracket captive nuts welded. Others will be welded in, in a similar fashion as appropriate (such as for the through-frame bolts to screw into and engine carrier).

The "inside" of the bracket. This is the passenger side. The long narrow notch on the bottom is cut so that it will bolt up flat to the frame, and clear the lip that is present on the frame.

And this is the "outside" of the bracket. It will be bolted up against the frame.

trevorbrady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Pics of the carrier bar mounts:

hey, thanks a million vwwestyman, that's really interesting. Those engine mounts and the cross bar are almost directly under the middle of the engine, supporting all its weight. I wonder did VW use the aircooled "over gearbox" mid mount for the gearbox/engine support system?

I have deleted this mid-mount and built my engine-carrier subframe further back along the block and off the original bus moustache bar mounting holes.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that center mount is not used on the Mexican buses. I hear that it (or at least parts of it) are present on the bodies, but the bell housing has no provision for it.

Just the carrier bar and front trans mount. The Mexican front trans mount is a bit different, though I have been told it shouldn't make too much of a difference.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked on my frame supports for the hitch, bumper, and engine carrier today. The holes I had drilled weren't placed just perfectly, so I had to enlarge them a little bit.

I also decided to drill one extra hole so that I can use the factory-installed extra bolt hole that is just in front of the original bumper holes. That is the only one that was intact on the passenger side of the bus.

Pic of the bracket installed on the passenger side of the bus:

I'm debating whether I really need to drill the extra two holes in the frame to mount it, or whether the current holes/bolts are sufficient. If I drilled extra holes, I would drill the one just above the front of the bumper bracket and the one just above the two that are utilizing the old engine carrier bracket mounts. The one between them was an extra hole drilled unintentionally.

The two on the right are what I will attach the engine carrier to. The frame will be opened behind them, and captive nuts will be welded to the bracket on the inside.

Little bit of rust on this side! Yikes! Luckily all the areas the bolts are are still solid!

First time in over 10 years since the rear bumper has been on the bus at all! (Not bolted in, just wanted to see it sitting on the bumper brackets.)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been pretty busy lately, with recently becoming a foster parent to two teenage boys! Shocked Yikes!

But they were at a friends for the afternoon both yesterday and today, so I got the chance to work on the bus. I got the engine carriers cut and set up to hang the engine. This is a good step in the right direction.

It is basically a chunk of angle iron bolted to the frame, and to the Mexican carrier bar below that, though I had to do some measuring and cutting to make that happen. I also welded captive nuts to the inside of the frame support, and had to cut a window into the bus frame to accommodate the nuts.

Engine finally hanging from the bus! No jack needed!

archemitis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great sitting on the tube cross member, I like how they notched the oil pan so you still have alot of ground clearance.
My rear coolant flange clearance keeps me up at night, I also did the same thing this guy (http://viewfromabus.blogspot.com) did, but Im pretty sure your 1z/ahu style is different from my alh style, same spot though.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to take a little time off work today to spend some time on the project.

I cut the bracket for the air filter out. I ordered an aluminum two-pass radiator, a high-powered fan, and adjustable temp fan controller. I'm going to still try to get it to cool with a rad on the right side of the engine compartment.

I'm thinking of cutting out the area that housed the computer to expose more radiator area. I'm also thinking about creating a vent/opening from the wheel well to the area to encourage more air flow that way while driving.

Thoughts on if that would work/help?

Remember, I'm not hacking up a pristine, rust free stock bus anyway. I'm hacking up a rusty, already not stock bus. Very Happy
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A water injection system could add the extra cooling if you are borderline on hot days. And add some hp if you mix a little methanol. I put a system on my diesel motorhome that had a 3 gallon tank. It really worked in the desert on hills to keep the exhaust temps manageable. I used below 0 degree washer fluid and distilled water. Can't buy it CA anymore though, they sell it in most other states. It has the methanol, CA has glycol in it now.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Popcorn

I can't decide if you are waiting to see if I get some good responses, or if you can't wait for me to get flamed! Ha ha

Water/methanol injection isn't a bad idea, or maybe propane.

I have thought about misting the intercooler to help it cool the charge air.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Popcorn

I can't decide if you are waiting to see if I get some good responses, or if you can't wait for me to get flamed! Ha ha

Water/methanol injection isn't a bad idea, or maybe propane.

I have thought about misting the intercooler to help it cool the charge air.

diesel is on the top of my list if i convert my 78...im watching for my own learning Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Skyline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So air flow through the radiator is what you are after. High pressure on the front side and low pressure behind causes flow though the rad. If it is open to still air, like the engine compartment on the back and the wheel well on the front then there will be little flow when the fan is off. Think about this, very simplistically, the more velocity the air has when it hits the radiator, the more flow you get through it. Find an area where the air velocity is high and pipe air from there to the rad. This is where most rear engine cooling solutions fail.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyline wrote:
So air flow through the radiator is what you are after. High pressure on the front side and low pressure behind causes flow though the rad. If it is open to still air, like the engine compartment on the back and the wheel well on the front then there will be little flow when the fan is off. Think about this, very simplistically, the more velocity the air has when it hits the radiator, the more flow you get through it. Find an area where the air velocity is high and pipe air from there to the rad. This is where most rear engine cooling solutions fail.

Right, well the thought/hope that air coming through the top vent, and from the wheel well will be pushed in at driving speeds, and through the rad. It'll be sealed off to prevent air from flowing around it.

I'm thinking that if the wheel well is opened up, air will be pushed through.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 39

Jump to: