Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

My box will fit from 18"-33" spread.
’65 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
My box will fit from 18"-33" spread.

Great info, thanks!

I guess I just have to decide what I think looks better. Sometimes I probably think too much about this kind of thing.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Ok... WTF is going on wrong here? Why don't these stupid things fit?

I went and installed the rest of the ARGs, fully anticipating that everything would go together fine, now. But it isn't!

The rack "feet" I have aren't fitting on the feet, even though I had every impression they were made for each other! What is going on here? Do I just need different feet? They don't even clamp down when fully tightened. Ugh

I spaced them 33 inches apart.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This shows it clamped as tight as possible. The part on the inside that is drawn down to tighten things interferes with the top of the artificial gutter. And the leg is pointing up too straight.

This is with the knob fully loose, but the tightening mechanism is still interfering with the leg "aiming" properly for the bar to be installed.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

That is 100% right. You need to put the load bar through the foot pack before attaching it to the ARG. Are those the 10" or 12" rise? The 6" would have looked better. Wink
’65 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

I tried with the bar through first. Look at the second pic at the angle of where the bar would go through. It would be pointing up in the air. The tightening mechanism on the inside of the foot seems to be interfering with the top edge of the gutter.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

When I tried tightening the foot down to the gutter with the bar through it, the foot was using the top of the ARG as a fulcrum to push the bottom edge of the ARG/pop top out.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
That is 100% right. You need to put the load bar through the foot pack before attaching it to the ARG. Are those the 10" or 12" rise? The 6" would have looked better. Wink

What is the shortest foot that would work with a tintop Bus? Even though I'd most frequently be using the racks on the Westy, I would like to also be able to use them on the '73.

Looks like Thule feel heights are 5, 8, or 11.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing

Last edited by vwwestyman on Thu May 04, 2017 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

I see what you're saying but you're doing something wrong. Put the bar through both feet line it up then tighten the feet to the ARG. I've had that set up on 3 different truck toppers with no issues.

Maybe the issue lies with the fact that the pop top is flat and not on an slight angle like a truck topper. Athough I've seen plenty of ARGs on pop tops, westys and sportsmobiles with no issues.
’65 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of is that these feet are model number 1050. I bought them used on ebay sometime in the winter.

On the descriptions for the ARGs, it says the work with model 300, 357, 953 (looking at it now). I may have made the mistake of assuming that all Thule gutter mount feet would fit on Thule ARGs.

I might look to see if I can "massage" the mechanism into fitting.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

I use the 5" rise foot pack and I put a slight bow on my bars to clear the roof.
’65 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

I tried again. Just won't work. When I tried to tighten them down, it would just force the edge of the foot up and out of the gutter.

I can't see a way to attempt to modify these to work, that makes me confident enough that the modification would work, that woudn't likely destroy them. And I want to be able to resell these if they aren't going to work.

I took another pic with an extra ARG that shows how the clamp on these feet interfere with the ARG itself.

Most annoying part is that I was all set to put the canoe on the Bus for a camping trip tomorrow afternoon. It can go on something else, for this weekend, but still disappointing.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Are you sure that is a Thule foot pack? It should be flat on the back side

PM me your cell number and I'll send you pics of the Thule feet I have on hand. I have two 5" and a 12" set on hand.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

’65 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Yes, they are Thule legs. At least, all 4 of them have large Thule logos on them, Thule is stamped into the metal, and they fit the Thule bars I've got (purchased from a separate auction).

They must just be older models or something. They do work on the '73 OK, though wouldn't clamp 100% tight on it's gutter either, until I cut some rubber to add as a buffer for the paint. Not a big deal though, that seemed like a good idea anyway.

Unfortunately, even though I think they should be tall enough, the angle of the feet on the '78s gutters causes them to interfere with the top. That is what inspired me to go ahead and install the ARGs!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Winning is against the rules...
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

I guess this is what I get for trying to save money by buying the parts separately, used.

It all started because someone advised that if I bought the high feet, they'd clear he pop top and mount to the Bus gutters. That is likely true with the newer style feet. But I searched ebay for something like "high foot rack mounts" or somesuch.

Oh well. I'll probably just buy the other style and re-sell these. Annoying but not the end of the world.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Easy fix for this weekend - buy 2 pool noodles, use them as your pads for fore and aft of canoe (somewhere like 1/4 back from bow and stern maybe). Use 1 or 2 cam straps around the belly of the canoe to cinch it down, with at least a bow line to keep the canoe aligned straight.

Good luck!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

We ended up doing exactly that, though instead of the Bus, it went on my friend's Acadia. He was planning on driving it anyway that was a pretty easy solution. I was just disappointed in thinking I'd be able to try my new rack setup, and not being able to.

I did order some of the newer feet like RichParker has, so that should be the ultimate solution.

The current feet DO work on a tintop Bus, so I'd sell them to anyone around here that is interested. Then all you'd need to do is get yourself some bars.

We had a good time. It was my great dane, Jackson's first camping trip. He's just over a year old and I got him in January. I did take him one time to sleep in the Bus, but that time we got there after dark and came back after a quick breakfast. He had a lot of fun and is crashed out on the couch next to me right now.

This is my friend's boy and Jackson on the ride home. Zach wanted to ride in the bus between the state park and my house.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

I need to do a bunch of work on the front end of the Thing. So while it is lifted up in the air, I decided it would be worth a couple mount and balance fees to try the Grabbers out on the Bus. I had the front tires from the Thing mounted on a couple Bus rims I have laying around.

Holy moly, that really did make a difference in the feeling of the steering! There might be the slightest bit of effort vs. stock tires on the '73, but very noticeable difference in steering effort compared to the large rims and wider tires on the '78.

I'm going to leave them on for a few days before I jump right in, but I think I will likely move forward with the idea of swapping out to the Grabbers. They will fit the overall 'look' of this bus pretty well.

Which means I'd probably likely be willing to sell the Heritage rims I've got on there right now...

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

I got the racks on the Bus! "New" feet came yesterday so I was able to get them up there.

Nice.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 39

Jump to: