Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

This weekend I'll get to do a big test drive on the Bus for summer travels.

I have family in Colorado Springs and three cousins are graduating from various programs this year. So my aunt and uncle are having a reception Saturday afternoon.

It'll be a quick out and back trip, though. Leaving after my kid gets home from school on Friday. I plan to make a short stop at the badlands area in Western Kansas and then head on to the Springs and arrive fairly late Friday night.

The plan for Saturday morning is drive up Pike's Peak (assuming it isn't covered in snow or something) and take my kid to Garden of the Gods before the reception in the afternoon. After that, probably eat out with the family or something.

Sunday will be church, and then heading back to Kansas.

I wish I had time to connect with some of the Colorado Bus folks, but unfortunately I don't think it'll be in the cards, most likely. But I'm still aiming for that off-road trip!

The Bus has been running really well since I installed those head studs, so keep your fingers crossed!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Safe travels!

Garden of the Gods is super nice. I drove through the park twice last summer when I went to the Buses at the Brewery event at Bristol brewing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm excited to be able to share it (Garden of the Gods and Pikes Peak) with my foster son! Even if it is a quick trip.

I spent the summer of 2003 in Colorado Springs. I worked for a friend's landscape company and lived with my aunt and uncle. I drove this same Bus out there and went camping up in the mountains a lot of weekends.

I went out to Garden of the Gods several times that summer, hiking and/or biking. I planned all summer to do Pikes Peak at the end of the summer, as a part of a caravan at the end of the old Rocky Mountain Motorworks (RIP) show/campout. It snowed that day and the last leg of the drive up ended up being closed. So I'm hoping to finally make it to the top! I still have a Pikes Peak or Bust sticker on the back window.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Made it to the Springs without a bus problem! Engine ran cool and smooth the whole way. I took kinda the southern route into town in highway 40 & 94. Missed the turn off 40 for a few miles, so I just cut down on a gravel road. No big deal.

I drove that route in this bus when I came out for the summer in 2003. There are some good long hills along the way. Back on that trip, I was going slow enough up those hills that a storm chaser threw a cup of tomato soup at me as he passed!

This time, I had the cruise set at 75 the whole time!

Along the way we stopped and enjoyed our muffler-cooked meal at the summit of Mt Sunflower, the highest point in Kansas.

Here's Mythias snuggling with the dog Jackson along the way.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Here was my camp site last night and tonight.

Between two houses! Ha ha

Headed out of town, we saw two beetles and a split heading down the road, so I figured maybe they were going to some cool VW thing and followed. Turned out they were going to the guys house after a VW get together, but thought it was awesome I chased them down.

Chatted for a bit, and the guy let me drive his 73 beetle that he converted to electric in 94. Was really cool!

On the way to the top, we saw this warning.

But...

I put this sticker on the back window in 2003 when we didn't get to the top due to snow. Saw today that we were stopped only a mile from the summit that day. No longer "bust."

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Pikes Peak baby!!!!!!!!! Now that's sweet success!

All systems got for the SW Co Adventure!!!!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

We made it home safe and sound and without a hitch last night!

Once again, the Bus cruised along at 75-80 no problem. Well, the only problem was that the poor dog couldn't eat his dinner! I typically just stash a zip lock bag of dog food in the luggage rack to keep him from getting into it. I've never had a problem, until yesterday when it seems to have disappeared!

I'll admit I was a little nervous coming back into Kansas on I-70. Colorado is the well-known weed-friendly state, and Kansas is very much not. It is pretty well known that the Kansas highway patrol likes to bust drug runners... and I was afraid I was driving a stereotypical drug vehicle! There were a couple troopers sitting watching not too far into the state but they didn't bat an eye at me. Maybe now the VW Bus is TOO stereotypical now that they figure nobody would be stupid enough? ha ha

I did see a nice looking orange early Bay headed West on I-70 just west of the border. Guys didn't wave though! Perhaps they were too busy fighting the wind.

We did go to Garden of the Gods but it was so overrun with people that we did two loops of the main road looking for parking before we found spots on a side road and only had time for our picnic lunch and very quick, very short hike. So unfortunately no pics there.

I'd say the Bus is ready for the Colorado off-road trip! I just need to make sure all the ducks are in a row for STARS Camp a little early so that I can go!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Posting this primarily so I don't lose the link. And it's something I need to do!

http://campwestfalia.com/replacing-the-westfalia-tent-window-screen/

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Since I've got the front suspension of my Thing apart, I decided to swap two of the General Grabbers onto stock Bay rims to see how I liked how it drove, especially with regards to steering.

As it turns out, I liked it enough to go ahead and make the change. Just got the new tires/rims mounted on the Bus. I do have a set of hub caps coming, though I kinda like this look.

If anyone is interested in the set of Heritage rims, all set up to go on a Bay, with all the various trim rings, etc, send me a PM! I did really like the look, but I just wasn't sure that they fit how I like to drive this bus.

Before

After

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to try out my racks, with canoe and lift assist struts!

Worked great! The top was pretty ready to lift. I'd say on-par with the feel of lifting a top with no canoe and no assist strut at all. I.e., as stock.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
KMT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Dave,
I just read the whole thread this evening. My hope is that I put a TDI into my Champagne also. Do you still have those Heritage wheels? I have them on my Bluestar Vanagon and love them. I will be picking your brain soon about the conversion.

'68 Panel
'78 Champagne Edition Westfalia
'89 Blue Star
‘90 Hightop TDI Vanagon
'90 AFN TDI Leisuredrive hightop
http://www.highcountrybusfestival.com
Pisgah Bus Rally
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Hope your trip is going well, see you tomorrow!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Rock on Dave!! Cool

Awesome travels. I love that dog. haha
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Built the new exhaust system today. I used 2.5" pipe with mandrel bends. There is the flex section, a catalytic converter, and spiral flow muffler. I was told by some diesel conversion guys this would result in a pretty quiet system. I'm hoping they're right!

How has your exhaust worked out? Where did you source the 'spiral flow muffler'?

Does it run quieter? Mine is a straight pipe... Wife is encouraging a change in direction. LOL...
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Lets see, hopefully I don't miss any of the replies.

As was hinted, I was traveling in the bus for the past 5 days. No problems all the way to Durango area and back really related to the conversion. Prior to leaving I had decided to mess with the water-cooled intercooler system and decided that it'd be nice to be able to see if there are still air bubbles in the system. So I replaced the connecting hoses with clear vinyl reinforced tubing. I did have problems on the way to Colorado with that getting soft and coming loose. Once I changed those out with rubber heater hose, no other problems with the engine/conversion at all! Nice.

Jamie-From one Buskatier to another, feel free to PM away!

Rich-Even though I bailed on the second day of the trip (my dog got sick in my bus, and then he was bitten by another dog which left a very large, deep gash on his nose), I really did enjoy the drive. It was a lot of fun, and the views were awesome! And it was very nice to meet you and your family.

Tony-Thanks! It is fun to travel when everything is going pretty well. Smile

Gavin-The exhaust is holding up well and is certainly quieter than a straight pipe. I did experiment with that, so I can say for sure that it is quieter with that system than without. The only disappointment is I discovered that a lot of the noise is probably from other things, such as intake noise. So, you will likely quiet things if you do something similar, but it may not be as much as you hope. As far as durability, it is holding up just fine. I had wondered about welding stainless to non-stainless parts, but no problems. I guess I didn't mention it before, but it is hung from the body from two hanging clamps from the FLAPS that has a short thick rubber section for a little isolation.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

As I said, I dinked around with the watercooled intercooler system. If I had used proper tubing, I'd say it hasn't had many problems.

But while experiencing the issues related to the tubing, I started thinking about whether it was worthwhile. And I think the conclusion is "probably not" when considering the complexity that is added overall. I just don't think I'm getting much reduced intake temperatures when compared to the former air-to-air intercooler.

I think that using a slightly larger air to air with a good puller fan would work at least as well as this liquid intercooler. And not require all the plumbing and such that is involved. At this point changing back is pretty low on my list, but I do not think I would go this route again.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Rich-Even though I bailed on the second day of the trip (my dog got sick in my bus, and then he was bitten by another dog which left a very large, deep gash on his nose), I really did enjoy the drive. It was a lot of fun, and the views were awesome! And it was very nice to meet you and your family.

No worries Dave. I'm stoked you made the trip a priority and actually made it! I understand that you had a long trip home and if you weren't traveling with the Nabraska folks you would have to make the drive solo. Sorry about you're dog, he's a big boy and he will heal. Probably with a nice scar to always remind you of this trip. Happy to see you made it home safely. I'll be at Buses at the Brewery on 8/26. That's kinda close to you...plenty of pics on the trip thread for those intrested.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670740&start=160
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Paul Hoegemeyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Reread your thread I’m been working on a TDI swap but with the flipped Audi transaxle. In in theory it sounds great five speeds geared for the engine. The problem is when you flip the transaxle you lose ground clearance leaving you with about five inches no good. Looked into 930 CVs not enough found some high angle drive line they look like short drive shafts problem with them is vibration the guy won’t sell them for street use. Even looked into getting a reversed ring and pinion cut but you have to move the ring gear to the other side of the transaxle and there is not enough room for that. Saw a advertisement for BENCO they make what they call Subi 002 and 091 with a 4.57 ring and pinion 1.14 third and .70 fourth you used a 4.13 ring and pinion with a 1.14 third and .73 fourth. I have no idea how to convert that into information that I understand. Is there a chart you could point me to? I am going to run the General Grabbers got tires.
Thanks
1970 beetle
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Paul Hoegemeyer wrote:
Reread your thread I’m been working on a TDI swap but with the flipped Audi transaxle. In in theory it sounds great five speeds geared for the engine. The problem is when you flip the transaxle you lose ground clearance leaving you with about five inches no good. Looked into 930 CVs not enough found some high angle drive line they look like short drive shafts problem with them is vibration the guy won’t sell them for street use. Even looked into getting a reversed ring and pinion cut but you have to move the ring gear to the other side of the transaxle and there is not enough room for that. Saw a advertisement for BENCO they make what they call Subi 002 and 091 with a 4.57 ring and pinion 1.14 third and .70 fourth you used a 4.13 ring and pinion with a 1.14 third and .73 fourth. I have no idea how to convert that into information that I understand. Is there a chart you could point me to? I am going to run the General Grabbers got tires.
Thanks

As I understood it, you need to decide what RPMs you want to run, at a speed you will typically run...

For example, perhaps you want to run 70 miles per hour at 2600 RPMs.

Then you need to know the overall diameter of your tires, and from there you can plug in the gear ratios into a calculator to determine how the RPMs will work out.

The other thing is you don't want too much of a drop in RPMs when you shift from one gear to another.

I would guess that the overall ratios that are appropriate for a Subi are a bit too high for most TDI motors.

Here are a couple different calculators you can play with. Weddle lists all the gears available for an 091 transmission on their site. I thought they had a calculator online too but couldn't find it right away.

http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

Hope that helps get you started. I gotta run! Let me know if you have other questions and I'll try to not take as long to get to it. Smile

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TDI into '78 Bus Build Thread Reply with quote

Today I did a project just for fun on the ole Bus.

I replaced the wood trim panels along the top edges with semi-opaque sign plastic, with LEDs behind them for new lighting options!

Used the info from this post:
BayCreamPuff wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
So what lights did you use?

Lights
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040FJ27S

The strip is cuttable, so you can cut it and connect the two haves with this kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6RVVRB

Sign plastic

4 x Sign Lighting White 45%
1/8 inch thick, 3 3/4 inch width, 44 3/4 inch length

https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/cut_to_size_plastic/acrylic_sheets_color/341

And here's what I did:

vwwestyman wrote:
Got the lights in and (primarily) working today!

It seems that no FLAPS in my town carries a regular on-off-on switch so I had to order one on Amazon. For now the lights are just on with the dome switches.

I decided that the switch will be mounted over the sink. Two reasons. First, that is centrally-located enough that it is reachable from about anywhere in the bus. Second, there is a pre-existing cut out for the backside of the switch to fit.

Couple tips for others in the future: if you want to use the connectors as BayCreamPuff suggests, you'll want to plan to extend the LED strip into the front headliner area, as it is too bulky to fit behind the panels. I had to solder the wires onto the end of the strip on the one side, because I cut the strip right at the edge of where the plastic meets the front headliner. No big deal. I learned for the other side.

Once it was all put back together, I noticed that the red portion of three of the LEDs doesn't work! That is frustrating, but it is right in the spot I have to take the panel off to install the switch, so not the end of the world. I have a few inches of LED strip I can solder in to replace them.

My power comes from the supply for the florescent light. I just tucked the wires up in the channel and used some white duct tape to hold them in place.

The power adapter and controller are just sitting on the top of the closet.

Sorry I didn't end up taking as many pics as I intended.

I never realized how close the panels were to the body, I guess I assumed it was mostly open.

With a couple pieces of plastic covers, it was easy to extend the power wire.

Dang! Those are bright!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 39

Jump to: