Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rays 64 Notch Build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Rays 64 Notch Build Reply with quote

Well since my 1964 Notchback is hopefully heading towards the final stages I thought I would start my build thread. Maybe I should of started this thread 3 years ago when I first bought it but was a little afraid due to having a lot of stupid or better word novice questions. And thanks to the people here on Samba and the Type 3 forum the car is getting closer. I grew up in Orange County (So. Cal) in the late 80's and ealry 90's. I had several bugs and ghia growing up but never got into the type 3's. Well after getting married and having 2 sons (which are now almost fully grown) I turned 40 and got a wild hair and bought myself my 1st type 3. I paid a little to much for it, but it was all together, little rust, no missing parts, aftermarket disk brakes all around, IRS transmission with frame horns. After purchasing I ran the ID numbers and found out that it is a 1964 body on a 1969 pan. Also, there was a type 1 motor in the car. My goal was and is to build the car my way with eventually a Type 1 motor in the car. So the engine compartment was already hacked up. I didn't want to take a stock notch and hack away on it. Maybe its the teenager still in me that wants to have a Notch with an upright motor, who knows, who cares. It could be worse (upright motor in a squareback). And yes I have read all about that its going to overheat. Hopefully I take the right measures and that does not happen. This will not be a daily driver, more of a garage queen / weekend cruiser.

photo of car on day 1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

after tearing out the interior I found that the PO did a little more hacking away. Not sure why they cut out the rear shelf and they thought that smearing a sealant of some sort would quiet the interior a little.

so after grinding all of this away and actually an air chisel held at the right angle popped it right off with little or no marks to the car.

so now the entire pan was taken down to bare metal, treated with Ospho, 2 coats of Masterseries Silver and the underside of the pan 2 coats of Masterseris Black. All of the doors, front and rear hoods and all fenders were removed and sandblasted then entire car was coated with 2 coats of Masterseries Silver

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rays 64 Notch Build Reply with quote

rays-64 wrote:
Well since my 1964 Notchback is hopefully heading towards the final stages I thought I would start my build thread. Maybe I should of started this thread 3 years ago when I first bought it but was a little afraid due to having a lot of stupid or better word novice questions. And thanks to the people here on Samba and the Type 3 forum the car is getting closer. I grew up in Orange County (So. Cal) in the late 80's and ealry 90's. I had several bugs and ghia growing up but never got into the type 3's. Well after getting married and having 2 sons (which are now almost fully grown) I turned 40 and got a wild hair and bought myself my 1st type 3. I paid a little to much for it, but it was all together, little rust, no missing parts, aftermarket disk brakes all around, IRS transmission with frame horns. After purchasing I ran the ID numbers and found out that it is a 1964 body on a 1969 pan. Also, there was a type 1 motor in the car. My goal was and is to build the car my way with eventually a Type 1 motor in the car. So the engine compartment was already hacked up. I didn't want to take a stock notch and hack away on it. Maybe its the teenager still in me that wants to have a Notch with an upright motor, who knows, who cares. It could be worse (upright motor in a squareback). And yes I have read all about that its going to overheat. Hopefully I take the right measures and that does not happen. This will not be a daily driver, more of a garage queen / weekend cruiser.

A pair of deck lid stand offs will help with cooling. You'll also want to close off more around the engine, so you're not sucking in hot air, as a beetle or ghia uses the same engine in a "sealed" compartment. I think IF you did those things, you could get that engine to live just fine back there. And judging by the work you've already done, it shouldn't be that hard to finish off those areas.
Nice car, looks like you're making real progress with it. Cool
I actually prefered the original rims you had on it (first pic), but then that's just me. Wink

P.S. There's nothing that doesn't say you can't convert that engine over to type 3 cooling, and then modify an engine cover panel for the air cleaners. Twisted Evil
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more photos of progress

below photos of dash pad removed and holes all filled in. New Autometer gauges and the 3 blue ones in the center are Dakota Digital along with spaghetti mess of wires.

photos of car in primer and roof cut for the Hollandia ragtop.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a ton of work right there. Cool What is the far left gauge? Just asking as it's got 4 needles on it. Dash looks good all smoothed out like that too. Twisted Evil
Are you going to use that indent box for your sound system? I think you could get a pair of 10's back there. Wink
That's going to be a BIG sunroof in that car. Shocked

It also looks good in black (from the what did you do for your type 3 today thread). Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is gonna be quite a hot rod, but that is what we (except Tram) want! I like the Fuchs wheels, but detailed w/black paint is better. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
What is the far left gauge? Just asking as it's got 4 needles on it. Dash looks good all smoothed out like that too. Twisted Evil
Cool

Center is speedometer, to the right of that is the tachometer; the one on the left is a multi-gauge (fuel, amperage, oil pressure, water temperature). I went with the AutoMeter Artic White so I was limited on size on what I could get. Still can't figure out where to hook up the water temperature part. The blue gauges in the lower middle are Dakota Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature and Head Temperature
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rays-64 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
What is the far left gauge? Just asking as it's got 4 needles on it. Dash looks good all smoothed out like that too. Twisted Evil
Cool

Center is speedometer, to the right of that is the tachometer; the one on the left is a multi-gauge (fuel, amperage, oil pressure, water temperature). I went with the AutoMeter Artic White so I was limited on size on what I could get. Still can't figure out where to hook up the water temperature part. The blue gauges in the lower middle are Dakota Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature and Head Temperature

Yeah, the water temp gauge might be a little out of place on an air cooled car. But the group of gauges should look really good in this car. Cool

Nice job. Twisted Evil
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
19typethree67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, really nice work man. I love it!
tricken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow very nice notch car looks great
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new ragtop & headliner installed along with pop-out windows. Windows were a pain in the ass. Finally found some descent tape that would hold the seal back in order to install.

next up, interior
aaronr25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I like the color.

Life's too short to drive a stock VW
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top looks good. Nice contrast in colors, that really makes it pop. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
stevensjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very cool Notch you have there. The gauges in the smoothed dash looks awesome. Is nice to see a custom build. I always enjoy seeing what others are doing to give their cars a unique personality. Keep up the great job
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the comments. Installed the 2180 today. 160hp / 152 torque at the crank. I know "type 1 upright in type 3 body problem. I have installed oil temp and head temp gauges to monitor this engine. I have also opened up the engine compartment directly below the rear cowls to bring in fresh air along with blocking off the lower section where the air was originally directly. Hopefully this will help with engine temps. If this does not work I will try ducting under the car directed to the back of the fan. Worse case I will have to sheet metal the engine compartment in.

opened cowl area

MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job on your Notch. Look forward to the interior!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good job indeed! nice paintwork too, well done so far!

was that "sludge" deadening on the pans etc? it's supposed to be good but an ugly mess in my opinion..

Mark.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6007222#6007222
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Shutt wrote:
very good job indeed! nice paintwork too, well done so far!

was that "sludge" deadening on the pans etc? it's supposed to be good but an ugly mess in my opinion..

Mark.

yea I believe it was some type of deadening. There were small rust spots showing through so I though better safe and remove all. Luckily the pan was in pretty good condition. Some pin holes under the battery section and some rust and holes on the outer rockers. Unfortunaetly we repaired the rockers with new strips of steel plate to repair the holes, found out after that ISP sells new rockers sections.
stevensjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Very Happy I surprised you chose to run an upright engine but sounds like you are trying to take care of any cooling problems that may come up. I have heard from some that will have problems and from others saying they don't have any problems. I am interested in knowing how things work out for you. I kind of like the upright engine as there are more parts available for that setup, i.e. serpentine belt drives, turbo kits, carbs, etc. Will keep watching your progress with great interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rays-64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, Progess was slow moving during the summer. To much beer and sitting by the pool (hot temps). Got the interior installed, got the car insured and registered. 3 1/2 years and little over budget Shocked the car is mostly complete. Still need to workout some bugs here and there.

Took my 1st real drive today, head temps stayed good, oil temp got to 225 F. I would be happier with a little lower oil temps. I will continue local road and freeway tests to see where my oil temps go, hopefully not any higher. If needed I will have to enclose engine compartment.

Want to say thanks to all. There is no way I could of started and even complete a job like this without the people here on Samba.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause

One more saved from the scrap heap. Well done.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: