Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SVX community
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

Hmm... $500 to 'just get it out of my yard' Just north of Minneapolis...

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/d/subaru-svx-1992/6266031491.html
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Engine Going Cold? Reply with quote

Hi all, on my way home from DoB last night my EG33 got colder and colder when cruising flat ground at a high freeway speed. At 75 mph it was down at the white bar part of the VW gauge. When I slowed down off the freeway the temp went back up. The VW guage reads from the VW temp sender, which is lodged into the reversed coolant manifold on the EG33. I have an aftermarket temp sensor with a digital readout, it was reading 166 F the whole time. The aftermarket temp sensor is inline on the hose between the manifold and the coolant bottle. The engine was full of coolant and giving off plenty of heat when I checked on it after pulling over. Thermostat is a relatively new stock Subaru unit.

I've never seen this before, any idea what might be going on?

Also, 4 of us SVX'ers were camping together at DoB!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

You are saying you've got a stock VW Temp 1 sensor that is correctly hooked to the stock VW cluster gauge? If yes, then here is something funny that I just remembered from my Temp 1 sensor, sounds like yours:

First couple years I had my '87, the temp always looked right on the needle gauge, and also the digital readout of the aftermarket always showed similar readout (like 170-190, depending on how I was running her). Then, slowly, over about 3 weeks, the needle just got lower and lower. Finally if lay on the bottom like a fish in winter on the bottom of the pond. The digital readout always said the normal range just like always. I had the luck to have a spare engine, and pulled the Temp 1 and stuck it in my hole, just to test. Bingo, worked exactly correctly again... The fun, of course, was the face full of coolant.

I also found the test method for the needle gauge using some Radio Shack 100 Ohm resisters, and made sure it was not the cluster FIRST.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464113&highlight=temp+gauge

Last edited by bobbyblack on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
You are saying you've got a stock VW Temp 1 sensor that is correctly hooked to the stock VW cluster gauge?

Yes.

bobbyblack wrote:

...pulled the Temp 1 and stuck it in my hole, just to test.

That's some real dedication to diagnostics. So it read a stable 98.6? Laughing

What, in the end, caused the issue?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

Not real sure the exact cause, but have heard that sometimes Temp 1 just slowly die.

Funny on the 98.6 thing... Hadn't meant THAT hole... Wink

But, I edited my post above with the cluster gauge test link, I really had a good time with that part. Super easy, super re-ass-uring, and like $2

reassuring .. no butt jokes .. maybe
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:

bobbyblack wrote:

...pulled the Temp 1 and stuck it in my hole, just to test.

That's some real dedication to diagnostics. So it read a stable 98.6? :lol:

Best laugh of the day .. thanks, flom (except for the tea all over my keyboard ;^)
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

This SVX appears to have a turbo H-6. Not real sure what all comes with it, might have another donor sitting somewhere? Anyway, I don't know what to make of this one, but perhaps some in the SVX Community will be interested.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/cto/d/92-svx-ls-for-sale/6373738157.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

https://m.facebook.com/max.wellhouse.33/posts/pcb....&mdf=1

Factory short block rebuilt heads 2K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

$800 SVX H6 St Paul MN..

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/bar/d/1996-subaru-svx-33-h6/6559210812.html
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

$500 around chicagoland:

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/1992-subaru-svx-ls-awd/6580276487.html
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

143K miles, pic of engine bay looks pretty good. 1200..

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/d/92-subaru-svx/6728239050.html
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

Bobby you are like a crack dealer....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: SVX community Reply with quote

Milwaukee, SVX on CL... $1K Might be worth a look at least..

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/allenton-1993-subaru-svx-30th/6789337757.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: