Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official GoWesty Engine Feedback Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a junkyard 2.2 liter Subaru mystery motor in my van. Not exactly a barn burner, but as reliable as the day is long. Doesn't use a lick of oil. I changed the oil last summer in July and I have yet to add a quart (!!!). And I use it as a daily driver. Guess I need to go through another oil change before I need to add a quart.
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Having read several threads, seems like GW 2.2s are the "best of what they do".

What are the BIG differences between a GoWesty 2.2 and a Vanistan 2.2 besides the fact that Vanistan only uses 2.1 blocks (instead of GW's 1.9s) to create 2.2s?

Is there a considerable performance/reliability difference?

What about warrantees/customer service?

Wait. My GoWesty 2.2 (2005 vintage) is a 2.1 block originally. From the serial number, I even determined that it came from an 87.

No idea what the differences are, and it would be nice to know. All I know is anecdotal: someone with a Vanistan 2.2 drove my GoWesty 2.2 last year, and his comments were "so smooth" and "nice power". I didn't drive his, but I imagine they are comparable.

Also from anecdotal evidence, it seems like Tencent goes out of his way to make sure his customers are satisfied. Can't say the same about GoWesty, but then again they've probably sold way more engines than 10c, so that becomes a factor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanb wrote:
...Wait. My GoWesty 2.2 (2005 vintage) is a 2.1 block originally...

They do both (build out 2.2s from 1.9s and 2.1s):

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_category.php?id=82

My 2.2 was built in January 2006, things have changed since then. Specifically, their site now says:

GoWesty wrote:
• 8.8:1 compression with 95 hp & 130 ft. lbs. of torque

Whereas my engine was delivered as 8.96 compression and 105hp.

No question in my mind that the 2.2 is the most proven spec for a reliable rebuilt.
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
They do both (build out 2.2s from 1.9s and 2.1s):
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_category.php?id=82

And to elaborate on that, they also build their 2.3s from 1.9s or 2.1s. You can choose a 2.1-based engine, but you're expected to provide provide a 2.1 core return.

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=806

Ahwahnee wrote:
My 2.2 was built in January 2006, things have changed since then. Specifically, their site now says:

GoWesty wrote:
• 8.8:1 compression with 95 hp & 130 ft. lbs. of torque

Whereas my engine was delivered as 8.96 compression and 105hp.

Interesting, though, that the stated torque remained unchanged at 130 ft. lbs., both then and now for the 2.2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlw123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: 1987 VW Westy GL w/ 2.3L GoWesty @ 10k mi (2 years) Reply with quote

2 year anniversary of my GW 2.3L being installed is January. Car has been up and down the west coast, from Oregon to Baja. Up the Sierra, over the Grapevine, etc.

Its a noticeable improvement in power, I have an automatic trany, so it gets up to speed quicker. I still don't drive much over 70-75 for long freeway hauls, but thats just me feeling like the Vanagon doesn't handle above 65.

Burns about ½ qt of oil every 2500-3k miles.

Sounds like a VW Bus still too. I like that.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1987 VW Westy GL w/ 2.3L GoWesty @ 10k mi (2 years) Reply with quote

jlw123 wrote:
I still don't drive much over 70-75 for long freeway hauls, but thats just me feeling like the Vanagon doesn't handle above 65.

There's a fix for that! It can be an expensive undertaking depending on what your van needs or it may be only a few items. Worth it for handling and safety. I'd say my Power Flex steering bushing alone made a HUGE difference (as much or more than going up to 15" wheels and tires). I travel at 75-80 with confidence (and would probably go faster if I could Very Happy ).

Regardless, congrats on your great running GW 2.3!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a GW 2.2 here and just need to figure out which van to drop it into.

I plan to add:
WBXhaust
RJE billet throttle body and VSM
Auxiliary oil cooler with fan
Silicone intake boots
RJE oil pressure relocation kit and oil temp sensor

I will post pictures once it is ready to go.
Free Range Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Failed 2.4 Reply with quote

I bought a Gowesty 2.4 and it failed at 3200 miles. I had it professionally installed and followed the break in rules to the letter. I bought the Road Warrior warrenty . Gowesty refused to honor the warrenty because they said that since I live in Oregon and we don't pump our own gas , an attendant must have put in low octane fuel . I am very strict about using Premium fuel.
I had all coolant and oil levels and hoses perfect and new.I always drive in the green zone on the Tach. The cylinders showed scratches. I had the damage inspected by two shops and both said the damage was not from bad fuel. I paid to have the engine repaired, about 2600 $ and Gowesty gave me $500 for the broken parts.
Adding up the cost of the engine and the repair and a lost summer of use i wish i had put in a Subaru engine.
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I bought a Gowesty 2.4 and it failed at 3200 miles.

Brutal. So who built the next motor?
Free Range Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Repair Reply with quote

The install and repair were done at Halsey Automotive , Portland. To their credit they advised against installing the 2.4 and offered me a much less expensive 2.1 rebuild which I regrettably declined.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRB - What happened to the other thread where you were commenting about this??? I appreciate that you are sticking to "the facts" from your point of view without getting slanderous.

Here is the link, but all your comments (and all other members' comments which I thought were quite constructive) have magically disappeared Exclamation : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=60

Mods - That's kinda nasty censorship Shame on you . Unless FRB is violating Forum Rules, at the very least, please transfer the new member's comments/concerns into a new thread (or direct FRB to do so himself) instead of just outright deleting it. IMHO, until this issue is resolved it should remain public (although admittedly much better in it's own dedicated thread). If FRB's and other members' comments were moved, my apologies, but please provide a link.

Last edited by ThankYouJerry on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
FRB - What happened to the other thread where you were commenting about this???

I noticed this too and can only speculate ... may have felt there was too much hostility brewing regarding GW over the latest shared incident regarding the GW engine. Or maybe part has been moved elsewhere like to the official whine or another official site but I haven't checked.

Last edited by WestyBob on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
...Mods - That's kinda nasty censorship Shame on you ...

I don't know about you, but I'm only a guest here.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
FRB - What happened to the other thread where you were commenting about this??? I appreciate that you are sticking to "the facts" from your point of view without getting slanderous.

Here is the link, but all your comments (and all other members' comments which I thought were quite constructive) have magically disappeared Exclamation : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...p;start=60

Mods - That's kinda nasty censorship Shame on you . Unless FRB is violating Forum Rules, at the very least, please transfer the new member's comments/concerns into a new thread (or direct FRB to do so himself) instead of just outright deleting it. IMHO, until this issue is resolved it should remain public (although admittedly much better in it's own dedicated thread). If FRB's and other members' comments were moved, my apologies, but please provide a link.

I'll jump in......... The linked thread is Titled "Go westy 2700cc Wasserboxer on the Horizon"
Someone jumps in with a "well I had a GoWesty 2.4 installed........" And launches into a gripe session about a warranty claim on the 2.4 being denied.

Well, does anyone see an immediate problem with the topic being a 2.7 and a gripe session ensueing about a 2.4?
Not unlike reading a post about a problem in the Vanagon forum and I were to jump in claiming what a POS my 2014 Beetle is because XYZ happened!

Add to that we got two pages of BS following the 2.4 comment that was fast turning into a Lynch Mob with torches and pitchforks going absolutely nowhere positive...... Think of the opening scenes of Shrek and the towns people.......

It was split out and removed, yes.... I did it.
You are not powerless. The removed Posts are available for Everett to read. If you believe my actions were in error or heavy handed, PM Everett, he has access to and is able to read the two pages I removed. I'm not perfect, I'm the first to admit that. I'm just trying to keep this a safe playground to let your kids play on.
Better yet, man up! contact me and question me...... Don't crucify me publicly when you don't know what actions were taken or why! Ask.... I don't bite........ Well, not yet.

Stay on topic...... Don't go attacking persons or businesses publically in the forums..... That includes myself and other forum moderators.

You have a legit beef? We have a forum to post feed back. Even there..... Bring proof of your beef, just don't go spouting that you've been wronged. Those charged can and do often get involved and a resolution is sought.

To mention you have had an issue with a 2.4 in the 2.4 thread.? Fine ........ Go to it guys, but if we get another Lynch Mob...... It will be going away.

I often send PM's stating that a post has been removed and here's why (Some who are reading this right now can verify that I do this.) .......... but so many people were involved, I just removed it.

Oh........ We also have a Rule thread..... Here's part of it.....Stay on topic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Go Westy 2.2, so I am on topic for this thread and have listed improvements I plan to make for it.

As far as MODs go, Dave and Kam are doing a great job of keeping the topics on point.
Read older threads, they drift like a rally car and sometime never return.
The Search function, to work properly needs the titles and the information in each thread to be relevant.
Many just start a new thread...making it even more difficult to search and compile info.
Without the MODs this forum would be a zoo and no one would be able to control the opions, facts and mayhem that breaks out on occasion.

I will now state this for the record, yet again...
The WBX in its original state or 2.2 upgraded version is the most solid for that power plant.
Once you go above 2.2, starting with minor mods for the 2.3 and getting into major mods for the 2.4 and above, the life of these engines is teetering upon a description of "race engine" and those you do not count mileage on, but hours.
I am being serious here, hours.
We have 10 hour race motors up to 40 hour race motors.
Once you reach those marks, they should be opened, measured and resealed.
These are my opinions, but backed up with 20 years of Vanagon ownership and plenty of checked flags to boot.

If you want the WBX and reliability, do not exceed 2.2, period.

Thank you again Dave, Kam and Everett.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official GoWesty 2.2/2.3/2.4/2.5 Engine Thread Reply with quote

I now have 30k miles on a GoWesty 2.3 engine that I have been driving since 2011. I had previously used a stock 2.1 WBX and a 1.9 AAZ turbo diesel in another van. My engine burns through a small amount of oil (1/2 quart every 2,500 miles) but I always keep extra oil on hand. I change the oil every 3k-3.5k miles. I use the Mobile 1 synthetic oil recommended by GoWesty and premium gasoline. I seem to get 18mpg on every fill whether it be a long road trip or short trips around town. I have done some pretty big trips (many over 1,200 miles) with this engine and feel that it cruises nicely in most conditions. I have 15" GoWesty wheels on my van.

I have lived in Central Coast CA and the Front Range CO with this van so I have gone over many mountain passes with my 2.3 engine. Passes over 10,000 feet will require some down shifting. I can drive over Eisenhower Pass at 45-50mph with the van loaded. My van is a winter ski vehicle and also takes me to mountain bike races in the summer (mostly from Boulder to Winter Park). When in CA, I would drive to Rim Nordic near Big Bear regularly and it handles those grades even better than what I currently drive in CO.

I have never worried about the engine. I do get piston slap on start up if I haven't driven my van in a week but it goes away once warmed up. The biggest improvement that I added that complements the GoWesty 2.3 is the Vanistan exhaust. This exhaust provides a noticeable improvement in mid range torque. I also had my transmission rebuilt at one point and kept the stock gearing (with the upgraded 3/4 slider and SA oiling plates). I would at some point like to add Vanistan's vacuum switching module and oil cooler to further improve performance.

I am very happy with this engine and will buy another WBX if and when I need to replace it. I would love to test drive a similar van with a Vanistan engine and/or Rocky Jennings engine at some point to compare it to my GoWesty rebuild.

Bill

16CV's wrote:
I am interested in comments regarding Go Westy's bigger Engines . I am interested to hear ,total miles ,oil leakage and consumption . Reliability and drive-ability issues . As well as cruise ability ,like going over Donner or Grapevine in California.

Have you re geared or changed your Wheel / tire size up or down to make up for increase displacement .

The previous owner said the pistons always had piston slap . I talked to Taylor at GW and he said that is normal because of the dis similar metals . Once warmed up it goes away .

I realize that anything other that with anything other than stock there
are always trade offs .

So if you have a GW 2.3/2.4 / 2.5 . Lets talk about them here .

rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 89 Westy w/ a GW2.5 (5spd) and our son has a 84 Westy w/ a Vanistan 2.2 (4spd). I had a chance to drive the Vanistan Westy for a bit before shipping it back to our son at his college.

The V2.2 has a stock exhaust system. It sounds great and it runs real smooth. The obvious difference between the two engines is the available power - especially for climbing hills.

If you're familiar with the SF Bay Area - then you'll know that the fastest way to visit Van Cafe in Santa Cruz is to drive over Hwy 17. When driving the GW2.5, there are no issues maintaining speed and/or staying w/ traffic (though you may shift down to 4th gear since some parts are 50mph). However with the V2.2, there are sections on Hwy 17 where the engine cannot maintain speed and you have no choice but to down shift...even on the 50mph sections.

On flat surfaces and under normal driving conditions (in other words, we're not drag racing), I'd say both vehicles are equals in terms of just getting around town or cruising on the open road. Issues come with head winds, etc.

Having owned an brand new 84 Westy 1.9 in the past, plus driving our 89 w/ its original 2.1 --- you can't go wrong with either engine upgrade.

BTW - I stopped by GW last month. They now have almost 10 GW2.7 testers on the road and it looks like it will become available by mid-year 2015.

Hope this helps.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Diego Westy is dropping a GW 2.45 in my van this week. I have great hopes and will report anything that happens
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30K miles on a GW2.5 installed in 2012 and not a single problem whatsoever. Change my own oil every 3k with Topline Synthetic. Use mainly for weekend roadtrips and treks up to my vacation house in Bend, OR (usually 1200-1400 total round trip and one quart of oil). I usually cruise I-5 at 70mph, just below 4k RPM. Power is plentiful and I could cruise faster, but it can really eat into my gas mileage considering I'm not very aerodynamic, and I'm never really in a hurry. I'm happy to cruise along with the other traffic but have the reserve power to pass when necessary (it's nice to see the surprise on people's faces when I do).

I installed one of the bolt-on block heaters that were offered by Canadian VW dealers and it makes a huge difference in the winter months in Bend. I have the power cord running up though the engine compartment lid to the bench seat. I keep it plugged into the 110v socket. I have an extension cord run to the spot where I park the van, so when on shore power, my batteries stay topped up and also runs the block heater. This past Xmas the temps were down to "0" with highs only in the teens. The van would start up nice and smooth and was ready to go in just a few minutes. I really thing that will add longevity to the engine.
Downtown Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GW 2.4 on the road December 2005 ,87Westy, installed by Honest Engine in Eureka California, low miles approaching 50,000 miles now and 10 years , I had the trans rebuilt at the same time . Have run Mobile one continually after engine break in . No engine problems- no leaks It's been trouble free . Only up grades have been GW gear starter, SA 15" rims with Noikan WRC 205/70/15 , Front and rear Whiteline swaybars from AC.Net. And a SA headight kit . OH I'm in the process of putting on a set of Vancafe stiffer than stock non progressive springs and a set of GW revalved bilstens On trips I use a lot of Chevron gas , I'll also use Chevron Fuel injection cleaner and if gas is questionable or long trips in California 100 degree summer I'll use Lucus fuel octane booster and keep some in the Van. It's a joy to drive -like merging on the freeway in California traffic . I think the 2.4 could of used a matching engine management system from the beginning with a modern knock sensor to match the higher compression (that I've really enjoyed). Iit's been fun to drive even in the fast lane on HWY 5 on Sunday night when the slow lane is filled with slow semi trucks but I can watch the gas gauge drop =that is not helped by the auto trans -non lock up and frontal van area (any bigger engine ) I wouldn't mind a Subaru 2.5 (swap not smog legal here) and Honest engine mechanics were not very interested in working on a Subaru/VW swapped van at that time. If I had to replace the GW 2.4 tomorrow I'd use a smog legal 1.8//T from SAH . I like the HP/Torque of the 1.8T STOCK , the engine management system and the availability of parts in the future for that engine. In the meantime I'll be driving the GW 2.4 with a smile on my face !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: