Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 VW bus exhaust manifold questions.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyHippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: 72 VW bus exhaust manifold questions. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK so first off no idea if I loaded the images right?

so I have been fixing the exhaust one piece at a time and now I'm looking to fix the last piece.

obviously I need new ones of these? I believe they are the manifolds...

where do I get them I can't seem to find new parts just old ones that look almost as bad as mine....any suggestions?

also don't see how it will help to get new ones unless I cap or do something with the giant hole at the end that looks like it should connect up a little farther towards the front of the bus (part of the heater maybe? witch is caped inside the bus but I live in So-Cal I don't need it anyway) whats the best way to take care of that?

Thanks any help would be awesome! Very Happy [/img]
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pipes inside are in good condition you can just strip the outer shell off and run without it or better you can get a set of heat exchangers off of a 411/412 and use those, with or without the cover intact, which basically leaves you with the Type 4 equivalent of Type 1 "J" pipes.
HappyHippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are pipes inside?

Last edited by HappyHippie on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
HappyHippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i should take it apart and look at it. Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the exhaust header pipes are inside. On a bus they are covered the the fins for the heat exchangers, but on the 411/412 ones there are just plain Jane pipes inside.

The inner pipes will usually be in the worst condition right at the flange where the heat exchangers bolt to the muffler. No holes or serious erosion there and you are probably good to go.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can have a local welder weld some sheet metal patches over those areas and patch them up until you can find local new ones. The outside is just a shell that holds the air from escaping. Don't take them apart. Besides summer is coming and you won't need heat again until winter. Do get the valves that go on the end though as they help control how much air passes thru and you don't want to overheat your engine.
HappyHippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1053802.jpg

OK so if I understand correctly there is a valve that gos on the end shown here...dose the valve let the air in or out?

dose anyone know the name of the valve?

And just to clarify my pics this in not the hole where the header attaches its the other end that is closet to the front of the bus.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HappyHippie wrote:

And just to clarify my pics this in not the hole where the header attaches its the other end that is closet to the front of the bus.

That is where the booster fan was plumbed into the heater box. Closing the holes off may make a bit of difference in how hot the engine runs, but probably not much. What you do want to do is close off the hole in the cylinder surround tin above them, as the holes in the cylinder tin make a big difference in how hot the engine runs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: