Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump push rod length?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Fuel pump push rod length? Reply with quote

Have had problems with no fuel getting to the carb. Bus starts if I pour a capful of gas into the throat of the carb, but otherwise, it justs turn over without starting.

Figured it could be a fuel pump issue, so just removed the pump and measured the push rod. Looks like it's a fraction under 100mm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any way to test the pump (it's an Airtex 1109 installed by the PO)? Think it could be time for a new push rod?

I have a fuel line kit on its way from Scott at German Supply - figured it was a good time to replace all the old fuel lines and get the pump thing sorted at the same time.

First time messing with the fuel lines, so a bit apprehensive to be honest. Thanks in advance for the advice.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that, 4" is correct for an alternator pump like you have.

Try disconnecting the line to the carb and pumping into a bottle while cranking, sometimes the needle and seat in the carb will stick in the closed position and act like a bad pump.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks right in the photo, the pump seems to be the alternator type (i am judging by the angle that pump is tilted off vertical, alternator pump is more tilted than generator pump) and the pushrod is 4" which is a match to that pump.
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks busdaddy/Scott. Probably should have tried the pumping into a bottle before pulling the pump. I'll give that a go and see what happens.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had an issue not long ago where i had a pump that seemed to work by hand, PR was correct length, everything seemed fine, but on the car the pump didn't pump. i farted around with it for hours and finally gave up and put a different pump on the engine. this was an engine that was super original so i really wanted the original pump on there instead of something newer style. i never figured out the issue. what i am saying is sometimes everything with the pumps will seem OK and yet they do not work on the engine.
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the afternoon removing the old fuel lines and draining the tank.

Guess I should have checked the fuel lines before second guessing the fuel pump. What a mess! Can't wait to receive & install Scott's fuel line kit. Need to order a new copper tank fuel filter/sock by the looks of things too...

From what I can tell, inside the tank doesn't look *too* bad. Any tips on flushing through any remaining gunk before installing all the new stuff?

Feels SO good to be getting this done. Thanks as always for the support and advice.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope those are all "before" pictures, yuk, looks like time well spent to deal with that mess.

You can flush with a gallon of gas, put a coffee filter in the funnel when you recover it so you can repeat as necessary.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea with the coffee filter, busdaddy. Job for tomorrow after work...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevespeirs wrote:
. Job for tomorrow after work...

Do invest a few minutes Googling plastic funnels/gascans and static electricity just to get a handle on the potential risks, better safe than sorry, fires are no fun unless you are camping Wink

Слава Україні!
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update...

Well, the new fuel hose arrived from germansupply.com and was pretty easy to install, even for a novice like myself.

Also fitted a new screen/sock inside the tank after flushing it through a couple of times per busdaddy's suggestion, and changed the oil as it was definitely overdue.

Tried starting her up, but the engine would just turn over and not catch. The only way I could get it started was the pour a capful of gas down the carb throat trick. Not ideal, but I knew I was getting closer.

Found this thread about the idle adjust on a 34 PICT-3 --

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56411

and discovered the idle jet was blocked. Still wouldn't start after blowing through the jet with air, so after more research went through the automatic choke adjustment procedure on Rob and Dave’s Aircooled Volkswagen Pages --

http://www.vw-resource.com/choke2.html

With the choke refitted and screwed in place, I turned the key and she fired right up. Idled for quite a while too. Couldn't believe it really.

So, what's next? Make sure the timing is spot on? Like I keep saying, I'm a total novice with regards to this stuff, but feel like I have a fair grasp of what's going on after lots of reading and searching online.

My current setup -- 231 178 009 distributor with compufire ignition module and a Bocar 34 PICT-3 which I realize is probably not ideal. As ever, thanks everyone for getting me this far, any advice/comments will be greatly appreciated.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, you are almost there, read this thread regarding timing (I know some applies to a later bus but the rules are the same for all of them) : http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=531948

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: