Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yet another disc brake conversion- Mercedes and GM parts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Yet another disc brake conversion- Mercedes and GM parts Reply with quote

Here's my idea

I saw the rear clip from an s500 laying in the boneyard this morning and got to thinking. Fixed calipers, two piston with vented 11.80" rotors. My intentions are to run these as fronts even though pad contact is diminished by 25% over stock. Hydraulic pressure generated by these calipers should be roughly 167% of what the stock caliper so it may very well be no improvement.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The fit is pretty nice and clears well inside a 16" wheel

I have to get the adaptor bracket cut out but the caliper is held in place with one bolt already.

The rears are another story. The stock set-up has to be the poorest excuse for drum brakes in the world. The spring retention is a joke (sheet metal backing plate hooks)! I just did these 2months ago and found one wheel cylinder leaking..the other side lost it's self adjust foot taking the shoes and drum with it. I did use flaps cylinders and shoes so maybe I got what I asked for. Chinese crap or not, I expect stuff to last more than two months.

These gm calipers are notorious for being junk but they do work well when new and the e-brake cables fit without modification. They are the perfect width for working with the eurovan rear rotors.

This is the basic concept stage. I'll have more to show once I finish the cv's, wheel bearings and get the hub trimmed up.

Junkyard calipers/rotors. 50.00
Rear calipers 30.00x2=60
Rear hoses 16.00
Rear rotors 82.00

@210 so far

My rear brakes would've cost 2 drums and backing plates...an easy three hundred. Fronts needed rotors, pads, and calipers....another 250.
Hopefully this improves things and keeps costs low.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear rotors require longer studs-these are the 45mm long ones from van cafe as compared to stock

Added grease fittings to the bearing housings and the VC bearing kit. Hubs have been turned down to fit inside the rotor hat.

Machine hubs-30.00
VC bearing kit-100.00
VC Studs. 2.00x10-20.00
VC hub nuts-6.75-13.50

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
69satellite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, any more progress
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh crap, I hate dead threads. I do have some completed pics saved as this was a successful experiment. I did the brakes early on in my vanagon ownership so these pics came later when I lifted it and rebuilt the suspension a little after my brake job.

Fronts just have thread in studs with a stock rotor turned down to become a hub. These brakes are the rears off a Mercedes 500sl. From the uniform rusting that occurred you'll see that caliper placement is spot on. Upper caliper bolt ear is stock on spindle, lower is trimmed with new re-welded roughly 1/2 lower to accommodate wider caliper ear spacing. The Mercedes calipers bolt on as stock once spindle modifications are made.

Rears

Bracket was made of 3/8 plate to bolt caliper to the top. This plate was threaded to accept the bolts of the calipers and worked out great. The caliper placement was chosen to allow use of the stock parking brake cables. The cables fit and actuated these calipers great. It was a two click affair to hold any hill.

240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow nice
Thanks for the update

How is the braking power?
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got stopping distances ten feet longer than my b5.5 passat (only comparison vehicle at the time). This was done at 35-0 without any fade or locking. I was impressed.

My main reason in undertaking with flaps parts was because the warranty of the replacement drums/shoes/hardware/wheel cylinders could only get me more of the same junk. Or store credit towards the other items I purchased. I buy tons there so they gave me that option.

I did sell the van after three years of love and ownership and at considerable loss. I looked this thread up for other reasons and saw it was kinda open ended so I added the only pics I had from further down the line. I'm sure I had better bracketry pics etc on a previous phone somewhere. This did require 16" wheels to fit the brakes. The current owner got all that work and then some. I hope I fine the kind of deal I gave when I go buy another.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: