Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door adjustment - BF hammertime to the hinge?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buses 'n bikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Front door adjustment - BF hammertime to the hinge? Reply with quote

Hello all,

A much more skilled bus technician and I were adjusting my front doors last weekend - drivers side went beautifully but the passenger side is giving us fits and just seeking some input here.

We have all the screws loose and all the upward torquing we can muster with the wide open will not give us the results we need towards the rear of the door. I've tried to capture the gap issue in the picture.

Is it time we took a BFH to the lower hinge?

Thank you for any input.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

UC 231 L345 628068

kombisutra wrote:
No it's not, Deluxes are the tempermental Liberaces that wear eye liner, sequins and tights. Laughing Wink
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the door saging down? I made shims for my upper hinge to drop the door downwards cause it was too high. Cant tell cause your door is not closed enough. Is it sagging or too high?
buses 'n bikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sagging down.
UC 231 L345 628068

kombisutra wrote:
No it's not, Deluxes are the tempermental Liberaces that wear eye liner, sequins and tights. Laughing Wink
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the door close? Could try taking off the striker and just close it with screws on hinges tight. Its hard to tell with loose screws and not closed.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put metal shims in lower hinge? I do know theres threads on the bfh thing but I just couldnt whack my bus. Many have done so. I made metal shims with holes to go inbetween my upper hinge to body because my door was sagging only upwards.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got more questions along with More pictures? I did notice that the bottom of the door is touching the bumper. Was the door always like this or did something happen?
buses 'n bikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Door has always been this way since I've owned the bus. It isn't scraping the bumper but barely clears. Mostly cause I bent the bumper downward.

Interesting about the striker and I'll get some better pics!

Door does close but you really gotta slam it and then the latch kinda gets bound up under the pressure. Not ideal.
UC 231 L345 628068

kombisutra wrote:
dubstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have read something about people using a jack under the door?

http://instagram.com/john_aka_dubstar/
http://web.stagram.com/n/john_aka_dubstar/

"you could transport really tall things too, like a giraffe"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to post some pics, after you remove the striker plate, with the door closed that will show the gaps all around the door. That will help to determine how far off the alignment may be. If possible, at least one picture from a distance that shows all gaps at once, and maybe even remove the rubber seal around the top window frame to make clear the gap along the upper frame.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the lower hinge bent forward??

Can you post an image looking more downward on the hinge showing the top of the body half of the hinge?
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the rivets that hold the hinge to the door on the top hinge working loose? I had a door that the sheet metal split around the hinge rivets on the inside and you couldn't see it from the outside. You also have to remove the top door/window frame half to see for sure. You can also look at the gap between the hinge and the door itself on the outside to see if it appears too wide, indicating the above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you bent the bumper downwards just to clear the door, its now not bolted to the dogleg tab or did you just bend it attached to the dogleg tab. I already welded my lower hinge on drivers side on the inside. Crappy job but its holding. Just how much upwards does the latch part of the door need to come up to have the door be square? Wondering if your upper hinge area was whacked in an accident at one time and not pulled back out. This is assuming your lower door hinge isnt failing at the rivets inside.
buses 'n bikes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dang, this picture really doesn't show anything profound. I was away painting the bus all day so I didn't see these posts in time.

The bumper was missing the dogleg bracket so that's why it was so easy to bend down. I didn't get the striker off (forgot to give it a whirl.)

I'll try to make it back over to the bus this week.

Thanks again!

UC 231 L345 628068

kombisutra wrote:
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day I was looking at a door that nearly would not close, when the owner of a body shop that we do business with drove up. He simply placed a long 2X4 under the door (while it was nearly closed) and over a jack stand. One or two bounces on the board and the door was perfect, with no signs of adjustment anywhere.

I've even done it a few times since and it works.

gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
One day I was looking at a door that nearly would not close, when the owner of a body shop that we do business with drove up. He simply placed a long 2X4 under the door (while it was nearly closed) and over a jack stand. One or two bounces on the board and the door was perfect, with no signs of adjustment anywhere.

gordo.

I can't picture that in my head for some reason. Seems like the jack stand would be too low to do any sort of cantilever help. Hmm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordo.

Can you mock up a pic?
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your hinges are bent don't be afraid to use a sledge hammer to straighten them
have a helper hold a 2x4 against the hinge and give it a few wacks and see where your at.
i believe every icepick handle bus i've had has required some adjustment to the hinge. if the hinge closes before the door the hinge is bent,; they are usually bent foward into the nose.
break out that sledge, just be careful and don't hammer the nose of your bus

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a panel that I couldn't get lined up to save my life after working with the hinges for a few days I got it as close as I could. Then I got a 2x4 put it on the upper dogleg, or seat base metal. Then shut the door as far as I could onto the 2x4. Then picked up on the 2x4 a few times till the door was perfect. Didn't take a lot of force and door shut really well.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BulletBus wrote:

gordo.

I can't picture that in my head for some reason. Seems like the jack stand would be too low to do any sort of cantilever help. Hmm.

No, that's right...just a tall enough jack stand.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen the jackstand method also. Only the guy suggesting just lift the door was a friggen bohemith. Came out grabbed hold of the door and lifted the shit out of it. Closed perfectly after that. That was on a rabbit but still same principle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: