Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

super cheap air filter add on under $5.00
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: super cheap air filter add on under $5.00 Reply with quote

I was looking at an air purifier filter in my house and saw it was just a some foam held in place with Velcro. I went to Homedepot and for $.98 I picked up an A/C filter 24" square. Cut two pieces 4 x 23 and mounted them Velcro. Right over my K&N filter. These are not super fine filters but the K&N are not also, besides the case housing are not the greatest for sealing. I may run a bit richer, lets see. Hey the socks are like $30 apiece. Hint attach only a smaller area for mating, or you will rip the foam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooohoooo! $25 saved for a rainy day.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't such filters typically be oiled lightly for automotive use?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: air-filters Reply with quote

Pipercross air filters have the best reputation.Not cheap but re-usable.Buy once and they last for years-protecting the engine internals.

If you are planning on keeping it and doing proper mileage-say 10,000 miles a year I would invest.

If you just go for a fun-run at the weekend when the sun shines,then your D.I.Y. job will be perfect for saving beer money. Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks just like the air filter I saw on one of the boats they use on "Gator Boys"!

Actually, it's easy to poke fun at some of the more creative ideas that we have seen on this forum. But, hey, if it works ... it works!

Tim
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys there are $100 of K&N filters under those that are oiled.

I have been having dirty jet problems on my 914 bug and I believe it is the Cool looking Alum. Castings. Not the Filter. Just trying those out.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirty as my engine is it is a 2.0 914 and that is the filter under it.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is so much going on in that engine compartment how are you supposed to wipe it down and keep it clean. You cannot even get ito certain areas.

My recommendation would be to re do that engine compartment and clean everything then the engine compartment would not be dirty and most likely you would not need an extra air filter. On top of that it makes it easier to work on the engine.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI 74 Thing, you are right is it a lot of stuff. You have to keep in mind that was the first Cali Style Upright Conversion using a T-1 fanhousing on a 914 T-4 engine, I had no idea what I was doing. It has over 100k on it and runs even better then the first day,with the the improvement. It is a rolling experiment. The first thing I learned was not to use a chrome Fanhousing - they rust on the first rain. I have planned to remove the fan housing and clean it up and paint,but the engine gives me no reason. WHen I get a chance to drive it I do. BTY if you think it is jammed, I also have a Jacobs Ignition system behind the rear seat that you don't see.

Actaully that is an older photo A lot of wires are gone and I got rid of that breather. BUT it is still dirty !!!!!

The additional air filter is just an add on over the stock filters. Great for winter storage if the car is out side.
Cheap enought.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: engine Reply with quote

Jacobs and Mallory a good set up.have it on my westy however the Mallory has been break dancing at advance(timing scatter) So off to Prestolite for some work it gos I am going to use Cb billet magnaspark while the Mallory is being repaired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leave the cb unit on,keep the mallory for the kids car.
If your motor matters to you buy it some new filters&outerwears.I just dont understand the save $5.00&put the motors health at jepordy. but then again I do 4~5 oil&filter changes in the first week of life of a new motor.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark my friend it is not the money, on new engines I do an oil change after one hour, then oil and filter at 100 , then at 500 and then 1000 which is because I drive it so much less. I am sure the issue is the castings not the air filters. This is just a DYI if some guys want to play around or a Volcano goes off and you need a bit more filtration for the ash.

Serious if you find you have to drive on some extremely dusty roads, it is quick fix.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run 1cm of air filter foam dry over the outside for just that reason, but I hadn't thought of the velcro.
Wvbuggy1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a similar set up but I use shop vac filters. They do not need Velcro because they are made round and fit ....I run them on my Woodsbuggy to stop the "big chunks"
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That foam pre-filter also helps to muffle intake noise.
The problem with those carb bases is they allow moisture and small pieces to fall into the float and around the jet stacks. this problem can be nearly eliminated if you modify the filter bases thus;

I have not had a clogged jet in many years running my own design filters, only time I had problems was with these aftermarket airfilter assemblies, and I have found they can be modified to fix that. Look at how a IDA is made, it has a screen!
Wvbuggy1835
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
That foam pre-filter also helps to muffle intake noise.
The problem with those carb bases is they allow moisture and small pieces to fall into the float and around the jet stacks. this problem can be nearly eliminated if you modify the filter bases thus;

I have not had a clogged jet in many years running my own design filters, only time I had problems was with these aftermarket airfilter assemblies, and I have found they can be modified to fix that. Look at how a IDA is made, it has a screen!

Now that is a great!!! Idea..consider that stolen... Cool
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool Modok! Can you please explain the shortened velocity stacks?
Thanks!
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pressed/glued in the velocity stacks instead of having them bolt on, for no important reason.
Later on I pried them back out again and made larger diameter angled steel velocity stacks because i found those small ones caused too much fuel fog to hit the aircleaner lid on my 2007cc engine.

The CB setup still doesn't perform as well as my old steel airfilter housings, but they are getting closer, I only am using them because they fit under the decklid
Note the little vent tube that leads to the jet area
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Dirty as my engine is it is a 2.0 914 and that is the filter under it.

Your car would go faster if the chrome was shiny.. Laughing
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
I just pressed/glued in the velocity stacks instead of having them bolt on, for no important reason.
Later on I pried them back out again and made larger diameter angled steel velocity stacks because i found those small ones caused too much fuel fog to hit the aircleaner lid on my 2007cc engine.

The CB setup still doesn't perform as well as my old steel airfilter housings, but they are getting closer, I only am using them because they fit under the decklid
Note the little vent tube that leads to the jet area

Do your stamped steel ones perform better because of decreased obstruction between the stacks? Better air flow into the carbs?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: