Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is anybody running a Rocky Mountain side ladder?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnphan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envious wrote:
Got mine put installed over the weekend. Overall nice quality. It came pre-assembled but they didn't use thread locker so almost every joint was loose. Easy fix but worth noting.

Does anybody else have an issue with it staying in place at highway speeds? What keeps it from jumping off the rain gutter other than the bar into the jacking point? I checked it after driving a couple of hours and the back end of it had risen up and was no longer sitting flat in the gutter.

Haven't heard anywhere of this happening but the roads I take up to the mountain have some serious potholes. If you hit one of these at 55 mph is there a chance it could jump off the top rail like suggested here? About to pull the trigger as I could really use this side ladder.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue I have had was the ladder sliding back towards the tire.
We were on a trip and I could here a sound that seemed to come from above the drivers head. I thought it might be the pop top not sealed due to high crosswinds that we were having. I stopped and re-latched the top. Took off again and it was better. But as soon as a semi passed me on a two way road the sound came back. (I hate freakin new sounds) Shocked

So I stopped again thinking it could be the skybox or something on the Yakima rack. I checked everything then noticed the base of the ladder had moved back and the lugs on the tire were just barely rubbing it. The vibration was sent up along the gutter and that's why I thought it was on top.

I ended up just sliding it clear for forward and no more issues.

I also used a thread locking bolt to make it a little more difficult for someone to borrow my ladder. Instead of just pulling a pin to remove it. I never have noticed any additional wind noise with it on.

I love the product! Thanks RMW!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnphan wrote:
Haven't heard anywhere of this happening but the roads I take up to the mountain have some serious potholes. If you hit one of these at 55 mph is there a chance it could jump off the top rail like suggested here? About to pull the trigger as I could really use this side ladder.

I don't know if it could come right off but mine definately raises. I ended up putting a bungie cord from the bottom rung down to the jacking point to keep preasure down. I sent an email to customer support at RMW and didn't get a response. Kinda sucks. Great product otherwise.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on drilling the base rung and put a pin in it to stop movement and rotation.

I have driven it thousands of miles all over heck and never had it come loose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the ladder be compatible with Das Mule rock sliders?
http://www.dasmule.com/das-mule-vanagon-rock-sliders/

The Mule rock sliders insert into the stock jack points, but have a hi-lift compatible notch that is compatible with the stock jack... but at a slightly lower (1-2in, max) height?
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadSetMonkey wrote:
Would the ladder be compatible with Das Mule rock sliders?
http://www.dasmule.com/das-mule-vanagon-rock-sliders/

The Mule rock sliders insert into the stock jack points, but have a hi-lift compatible notch that is compatible with the stock jack... but at a slightly lower (1-2in, max) height?

It wouldn't work out of the box but it would be really easy to modify the lower mount to work.
64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
mtnphan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

I also used a thread locking bolt to make it a little more difficult for someone to borrow my ladder. Instead of just pulling a pin to remove it. I never have noticed any additional wind noise with it on.

What size thread locking bolt do you need so I can be prepared when it comes. Great idea by the way and thanks for the info.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... the process is; buy the product, open it, return it, open again, disassemble it, add loctite, mount it, bungee cord it, then remove sent hardware and install new hardware, then get out tools to remove it when jackport is needed. Contact supplier if needed, be told you should contact them first instead of posting online their failings, or contact them first and be ignored, all the while others cheer at how great supplier is.

Got it. Brick wall

Just my observations on postings on this thread. Confused

I think I will just stand on my rear wheel like I always have. Anxious

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtnphan wrote:
What size thread locking bolt do you need so I can be prepared when it comes. Great idea by the way and thanks for the info.

I believe it was 3x1/4". But not sure.
It just needs to be long enough to span the jack mount.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same issue with my RMW ladder. I turn the rubber feet near the top of the ladder as hand tight as I reasonably can, then lock the nut down against the ladder… pins in the jack point… and I can still force the ladder up out of the rain gutter. Right now I don't trust it enough to drive with it on. I followed RMW's printed instructions. What am I doing wrong?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
I'm having the same issue with my RMW ladder. I turn the rubber feet near the top of the ladder as hand tight as I reasonably can, then lock the nut down against the ladder… pins in the jack point… and I can still force the ladder up out of the rain gutter. Right now I don't trust it enough to drive with it on. I followed RMW's printed instructions. What am I doing wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong.
I do not know why the people are saying they are driving with it. This was not designed for a permanenet installation where your driving down the highway with it!
It comes apart for storage, that should be the first clue. Do you see anything on the ladder to lock it into place-NO, there are none.
If you leave it on while driving you risk hitting or being it by another car even in the parking lot.
It is crazy to do this.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya. But, people in this thread claim to have driven thousands of miles with the ladder mounted with no problems. I'm not worried about being hit or hitting anyone. The ladder doesn't stick out even as far as my mirrors. I'll call RMW later today and see what they say. This is from their website:

"The top of this ladder fits perfectly into the rain gutter with a rubber strip while the lower section slides into any of the 4 jack points on either side of your van. This ladder moves away from the body for easy use and stows close to the body by sliding the lower section farther into the jack point and securing it with a pin. No need to remove the ladder while you are driving! With a beautiful sanded black powder coated finish, this surface with be able to handle lots of use on your adventures. These ladders are manufactured by us right here at Rocky Mountain Westy."
drossen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

Did you file the metal tab that is in the jack stand mount? The one that keeps the jack stand from going too far under the van? Your rubber feet might be too far extended. I have mine as short as they will go.

If you file that down the ladder can go much farther into the hole and after I did that there was no way for it to be lifted off the rail.

I'm pretty sure the instructions said to do that, but it's been awhile since I read them.

If you are still having problems after that I'd use a bolt instead of the pins they supply.

Also I got mine with no missing parts, unassembled, works great. Only took about 15 minutes to screw stuff together. It locks into place just fine for me. When you put the ladder as far into the jack stand as it can go it is much more low profile.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I filed it. I can put the ladder in both positions (use and driving). I only tried to wiggle the ladder off the rain gutter in "use position". I will try it again in "driving position". If it doesn't move on the rain gutter I'll be a happy camper. Btw... I put a call into Mark at RMW this morning but haven't heard back from him yet.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stand by what I said. If I'm going to make a mistake I'll be on the side of caution as opposed to mounting this as a piece of bling. It is a very functional tool.
Do what you want to do, it is not my problem.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to Joe at RMW. Turns out there has been a modification to the ladder since I bought mine 6 months ago. It's an L bracket that clamps from below the rain gutter (not from only above like the older ladders). Joe is sending me the part gratis. Yet again, RMW comes shining through! Thanks Joe and RMW!
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^always love awesome customer service, its a dying breed...
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Talked to Joe at RMW. Turns out there has been a modification to the ladder since I bought mine 6 months ago. It's an L bracket that clamps from below the rain gutter (not from only above like the older ladders). Joe is sending me the part gratis. Yet again, RMW comes shining through! Thanks Joe and RMW!

Then they responded to the problem of it not being suitable for permanent mount as originally sold and modified it. Cudos to RMW, but I still would not make it a permanent mount. That's just my opinion.
drossen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Then they responded to the problem of it not being suitable for permanent mount as originally sold and modified it. Cudos to RMW, but I still would not make it a permanent mount. That's just my opinion.

Well you have repeated that over and over in this thread so it is obviously your opinion. The risks are obvious as well and I'm sure anyone who wants to keep it on will drive appropriately and realize the danger. I keep it on when I go on camping trips because I am too full on gear to put it inside. If I was driving around the city and parking in parking lots I would take it off. It's not about bling, it's about not having space to put it anywhere else, or the effort of on and off.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drossen wrote:

Well you have repeated that over and over in this thread so it is obviously your opinion.

Yep, my opinion and I'd say it again if I felt like it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: