Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Upper Bed Board' -- The Folding Part--How to Remove?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: 'Upper Bed Board' -- The Folding Part--How to Remove? Reply with quote

I need to pull, strip and paint what the Bentley calls the 'Upper Bed Board' and the west of we Westfalians call 'the folding part' of the upper berth. The Bentley says I have to take out... Almost everything--to disassemble the upper bed.

Shocked

Do I?

I did use The Search, for The Search is strong with me, and found... Butkus.

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wooden nickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a few years since I pulled mine but I can't remember doing anything but pulling the screws on the rear of the board hinge on my 85.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my '87 there are just two screws for each hinge. Remove those and lift off the folding bed part. Take a look at yours and see if that is the case, you take them off when the bed is folded..... Smile

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Bntbrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The po had taken mine off and slid it to the back. There's two screws on each side. That's it.

www.DIYSeattle.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: upper bed Reply with quote

Bntbrl wrote:
The po had taken mine off and slid it to the back. There's two screws on each side. That's it.

X2

That is how we do it when we replace a westy poptop with a hightop. After having done so, most folks report that its way easier to slide the fore section forward than it was to flip it over. Its a long reach to flip it over and you have to remove everything from on top of it to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Gracias, Amigos! Reply with quote

Thank you all--I just wanted to know if I could pull, strip and paint that panel without it being a major project. Winston Update forthcoming.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, there is a large "upper bed board" under the rest of the mattress. I suspect that's Sir Bentley is talking about with all the other directions (probably removing the cabinetry and AC).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
timichango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Gracias, Amigos! Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Thank you all--I just wanted to know if I could pull, strip and paint that panel without it being a major project.

Super easy Smile Just pulled mine out in order to re-paint the metal reinforcing trim across the front. Just a few screws and a shimmy, and you're home free.

Get a helper and/or be really careful when you're maneuvering the fold-out board out—it's an unwieldy piece of material with metal things hanging off, and it'd be pretty easy to tear a nice hole in your pop top canvas if you weren't paying attention or it got away from you. Real potential for a simple job to head south into major bummer territory.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: upper bed Reply with quote

J Charlton wrote:
Bntbrl wrote:

X2

That is how we do it when we replace a westy poptop with a hightop. After having done so, most folks report that its way easier to slide the fore section forward than it was to flip it over. Its a long reach to flip it over and you have to remove everything from on top of it to do so.

This seemed like a brilliant idea to me so I just tried it and it will certainly be more convenient than flipping the bunk, but...
Without the hinges to secure it, it could potentially shoot forward under hard braking and hit someone in the head or otherwise do damage.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: upper bed Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
J Charlton wrote:
Bntbrl wrote:

X2

it could potentially shoot forward under hard braking and hit someone in the head or otherwise do damage.

I removed the hinges and just slide it in and out. To keep it in place I stapled some 2" velcro strips to the bottom. These stick to the mattress and keeps it in place. Without the velcro it did slide around, so far it has stayed put with 2 12" strips even under hard braking. A headon,? Who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: