Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:
I gotta believe that there is a way to adjust mixture without changing ECU and injectors.

BTW; my Tiico (ECU code A) runs GREAT. Easy start, rock solid idle, etc.

Anyone????

I think I have some info on adding a wide band oxygen sensor to the Tiico ECU, I think it is also available on the Yahoo group downloads section. I never added it as my van always ran great, always used premium fuel in though (at least 91 octane)

If you send me your email address I will send you all the Tiico documents that I have.

Mine ran great over 10+ years and 55-60,000 miles that I had that van.

I did change over to the MKII golf/jetta fuel rail/injectors, which is super easy to do, this info will be included in the info I can send you.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

I have been following the threads on the Yahoo TiiCo list and am not persuaded to upgrade to the Rev E. I have the new rail and injectors and when I upgraded my voltage regulator, I noticed my formerly bouncy/high idle (1100 to 1500) is now solid at 1000. Mileage is good (22 mpg) and performance is fine, given 135 hp and 5000 lbs of brick.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

foodeater: sent you my email via forum tools. Please forward tiico info. thx.
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

For us Jonny Foreigners, what is a TICO? Am I right in saying it's a VW I4 conversion? If so what engine and spec ie does it have a TPS, knock sensor, how many windows in dizzy, ISV etc etc.

As someone else mentioned, surely easiest solution is to find matching euro loom and ecu?

If anyone wants a loom and ecu finding gimme a shout.

Our digi had no lambda. Mk3 with 2e/Agg had differing looms/ control systems. Must be something that matches up.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

CHARLIE-DONT-SURF wrote:
For us Jonny Foreigners, what is a TICO?

Without going into a pile of details, a south african remanufactured 1.8l block borded out to 2.0l I-4 running a custom Motronic one off ECU and harness based off the South African model Polo at the time.

There is nothing else like it as far as harness and ECU however many of the parts are a collection of A2 and A3 Golf / Jetta parts.
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

Just acquired an '85 that is apparently running an earlier kit. The ECU is labeled RSU 906 258A.

Bought it on the cheap (caveat emptor!) as a stop gap while I put the Subaru engine in my wife's '91 as the original motor decided to very unceremoniously seize a couple weeks ago.

The exhaust has several issues which, after reading this thread, are pretty common. The gasket between the exhaust manifold and the downpipes is non-existent. There is also a flex joint which has perished right before the 90 degree turn going into the catalytic converter. This looks like it was not in the original layout and since it's broken I'm going to delete it for now.

It seems to like idling around 1500 to 1800 RPM. Do I have much hope of bringing this down once the exhaust is tightened up?

Wish I could put a 3 hole diesel head gasket on to bring the compression down a touch...

Erik

'82 diesel Westy 1.9 AAZ, AAP 5 spd
'91 tin top soon to be Subaru powered
'85 beleaguered Tiico
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

It will be super buzzy, lots of engine vibration transmitted to the interior of the van if you run it with no flex section. You will also crack the header wher the two pipes merge into one, its not a matter of if, its just a matter of how long it takes. Some people used to put a second flex section into the exhaust, so there would be a section before the 90º bend and one after, that way the exhaust has two planes of movement, since the flex sections dont twist. I've heard it helps. I never did it in the 10 years that I owned my Tiico van, but I did have to weld up my header a few times, as it cracked from the vibrations and/or the restricted movement of the exhaust, a common problem with the Tiico exhaust set up.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

The exhaust on my diesel has similar issues that I have fought over the course of time. Too much vibration, not really enough space to put in a proper flex joint. Embarassed

Erik
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

Foodeater,

Just wanted to say thanks again for the all of that info. It will help immensely. Mine is the version with the RSU 906 258A and has no O2 sensor. Hoping I can pass DE emissions but it was tagged in PA through last July so fingers crossed.

Another Vanagon adventure begun...

Erik
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

Does anyone know what O2 sensor is needed for the Rev E ECU? Considering making the move to it and I want to get all the particulars before I pull the trigger. If it looks like a big investment in software and hardware (VagCom and the interfaces needed there) plus the parts themselves, I'll have the give it some thought.

Found this info on the Tiico @ yahoogroups list.

In the same document where I found that, I saw this:
Quote:
To make things worse… at least the Fox in North America was designed with a 02 sensor and fully mapped cold start capabilities… that was not the case with the City Golf or earlier Tiico's. They had neither.

Makes me wonder if FAS could have just sourced VW Fox ECUs and solved this some time ago. Since the heart of my machine came from a Jetta, why not use an ECU from one of those?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

Just a heads up for anyone tackling this project yourself vs using a shop: the docs I have from FAS specify 000 979 133 E wires to connect to the ECU. You will want to confirm that the terminal clips are the right size:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I needed the smaller ones which have the part number shown. As you can see, the terminal block I have uses two different sizes: large ones for ground and 12V and smaller ones as signal/data connections. The large ones use the part number with 133 and the smaller ones I actually needed were part number 131.

Took me entirely too long to get this sorted out. My local mechanic hooked me up with the right size wire as soon as he saw it.

Also, the directions specify two wires. You don't need two wires that are terminated on each end: you need two terminals total, one for each of the signal connections from the O2 sensor. So you could just buy the terminals, as someone else on here did when they re-installed their O2 sensor. And in my case, I just needed the one I got for free since there was already a terminal in one of the two that needed connecting up, so I just spliced into that.

The best advice I can give is to look at the terminal block and see what you need, the 131 or 133 part numbers. Or terminals if you roll that way. Maybe they are all the same as mine.

Also, the need for shielding the wires against RF is mentioned at the very bottom of the instructions I got from FAS but it should go higher up. It's pretty important. This detailed post from tencentlife explains it but the short version is the signals from the O2 sensor are very weak and the engine bay is very noisy with RF, so the connection has to be shielded from that to actually be useful by the time it gets to the ECU. I used coaxial cable from RadioShack. Shielded wire for cars is not so easy to find these days. So we adapt.

EDIT: looking through the Tiico install docs my mechanic forwarded to me for archival purposes, I noted this:

Note the part number specified there vs here:

EDIT: and after a 160 mile test run, I have confirmed that the O2 sensor works (21+ mpg vs 16 before I got it installed). I suppose I did have to take it into a shop, as the folks at FAS suggested when I found the instructions confusing, but not to do the work, just to correct the instructions.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

Also, the need for shielding the wires against RF is mentioned at the very bottom of the instructions I got from FAS but it should go higher up. It's pretty important.

"the little lights are not twinkling, Clark" Laughing
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

Paul, this is interesting stuff.

The document you referenced is the same one I also read when i was installing my O2 sensor. I ended up with the wrong oversized pin first time around.

I had FAS resend me the 'correct' small pin 131 cable ( they did so at their cost ) as Chris thought maybe they just grabbed and shipped the wrong one

It looks like the install instructions may be stating the wrong ( bigger ) pin p/n.

I used only one of the *131* smaller cable, cut in half, one pin inserted to pos'n 15 and one pin to pos'n 38. I had some RF shielded wiring lying around so I used it to run to the O2 sensor. Then, VagCom to adaptation and set timing to match new ECU to Throttlebody and new timing spec to 6 deg.

Thanks for posting what you found out.
foreignautosupply
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

This was brought to our attention. The instructions that are archived on the Yahoo Tiico Group list the incorrect part number, for the ECU wire.

I let the Tiico Group know, and asked the person that originally uploaded the file to remove it, to avoid future confusion. We have only given out these instructions when asked.

If you did receive instructions directly from us, they do list the correct part number.

Thanks!
Chris & FAS Crew
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:

The document you referenced is the same one I also read when i was installing my O2 sensor. I ended up with the wrong oversized pin first time around.

I had FAS resend me the 'correct' small pin 131 cable ( they did so at their cost ) as Chris thought maybe they just grabbed and shipped the wrong one

It looks like the install instructions may be stating the wrong ( bigger ) pin p/n.

Indeed. When I was struggling with this, I was working from the wrong parts/incorrect instructions but somehow the problem was that I wasn't smart enough to do this: I should have a shop do it. After a 160 mile drive at 22+ mpg, I can feel pretty confident the O2 sensor is functioning, so perhaps it wasn't that I wasn't smart enough. Ironic to be told I "needed to get my facts straight" when was working off incorrect ones.

Quote:

I used only one of the *131* smaller cable, cut in half, one pin inserted to pos'n 15 and one pin to pos'n 38. I had some RF shielded wiring lying around so I used it to run to the O2 sensor. Then, VagCom to adaptation and set timing to match new ECU to Throttlebody and new timing spec to 6 deg.

Yeah, a little thought made it clear that the install just needed one wire/two terminals. Not sure why the doc specifies two when they come as pigtails. seems prettt clear they were written by someone has never actually done this little job.

Very disappointing that no one on the yahoo Tiico group picked up on this error, especially the vendor. Whenever I have gone to the trouble to document something like this, I actually use my instructions to recreate the thing or better still, get someone else to use them, to see if they are accurate.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

One last update on this. Apparently you get your old ECU back (as a spare?) as well as the core charge refund. So that's something. You'll be no worse off, at the end of the day.

A few more miles in and things seem better overall. Faster, less smelly starts, good performance, and I'll learn more about mileage as i go. I suspect the combination of the new MAP sensor and the ECU are factors.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
One last update on this. Apparently you get your old ECU back (as a spare?) as well as the core charge refund. So that's something. You'll be no worse off, at the end of the day.

A few more miles in and things seem better overall. Faster, less smelly starts, good performance, and I'll learn more about mileage as i go. I suspect the combination of the new MAP sensor and the ECU are factors.

[b]Paul, you don't get your ECU back as a standard option.
You should read the reply FAS left you on the TiiCo yahoo groups directed to you, that will help explain what went down. It addresses your particular situation.

Wouldn't want any unsuspecting people getting any misinformation that all of a sudden cores and deposits are being returned by FAS. It's not the case.

Glad to see its working better. Have you properly remapped your ECU with your throttle body using VCDS and Adaptation, as well as set the new timing to 6 deg instead of 10 ? [/b]
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:

Paul, you don't get your ECU back as a standard option. You should read the reply FAS left you on the TiiCo yahoo groups directed to you, that will help explain what went down. It addresses your particular situation.

Wouldn't want any unsuspecting people getting any misinformation that all of a sudden cores and deposits are being returned by FAS. It's not the case.

There was no note or message in the box and no email on this. I left the yahoo group a week or so ago. After all, that was where I found the incorrect installation instructions and where I was obviously trying to work against them, with no useful response from the group or the vendor.

I know FAS monitors that group and have posted in this thread so I find their approach to customer service to be interesting, to say the least. Good to know someone has taken the time to address my "particular situation" in public without any private contact.

Thanks for the update. Maybe the next person to do this will have a better experience.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
VWTECHEDITOR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Info on Tiico - Basic Settings Reply with quote

Good Evening Everyone,

Does anyone have, or can anyone point me to someplace that lists the procedure for basic settings on a Tiico conversion using the RSU 906 258 A ECM? I did check the FAS site and basic settings were referenced, but I could not find them. And if there is a procedure on Samba somewhere, that one failed to show up on a search.

Anyway, I appreciate any help or advice.
Thanks much,

Art LeBrun

P.S. Is there a wiring diagram or better still, a current flow diagram for this conversion?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Info on Tiico ECU's from FAS Reply with quote

probably best to ask in the Tiico group at Yahoo.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: