Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BN4 with dual webers-I need help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BTRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: BN4 with dual webers-I need help Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I am about to install my 2110 type 1 engine with dual Webers.Living in Chicago I purchased BN4 heater and would like to run it in my Bus.I know that it is possible to move it further to the left to clear carbs but I can not find any pictures.I spent many hours looking for some info on forum how to do it with dual carbs but no luck.
I would apreciate any pictures from this kind of instalation.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model is your Bn-4?, later ones are made to clear duals, pics?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
BTRacing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have any pictures.I can take some tommorow.How can I tell the difference from early to late model?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exhaust comes out the bottom (6:00) of the early one and 7:00-8:00 on the later ones, later ones have a separate metering pump, earlies have a clicker pump mounted to the stand and a pressure regulator on the top.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 with dual webers-I need help Reply with quote

Digging up an old thread, but did you ever try it. Has anyone else tried to do it?

Thanks

Aiden
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: BN4 with dual webers-I need help Reply with quote

Aiden, here was a response to one of my old threads. I never did do IDFs. Maybe this will help.

Oil Phil-M wrote:
I'm just up the globe from you in BC with a gas heatered '72 Westy, 2L engine and IDFs. I was at the same spot you were about 10 years ago running a weber prog and worried that the dual carbs wouldn't fit or concerns that the lack of choke would make life horrible when cold out. I took the leap and my only regret is waiting so long before doing it. Its a snug fit but they do coexist in the engine bay of my bus (BTW this is NOT the squirrel fan, only comes on at idle aux heater as grailtown stated).

The intake manifolds for my carbs are EMPI and the filter housings are cast aluminum from CB. To gain a little more space I took out the heater and ovalized the mounting holes a bit so I could shift the heater ever so slightly to the side of the engine bay. The round heater body and square shaped filter housing might come together in one spot but there is also the possibility of putting a slight distortion into the body of the heater to clear the contact point. My suggestion is do whatever it takes to make the IDFs work or go the FI route.

As far as not having a choke, the dual IDFs run way better even in the cold that the web prog. It takes a bit of feathering the throttle when you first start up but once you get to 2000 rpm the carbs are flowing cleanly and i've never had an issue once I'm under way.

Invest in the cable throttle; in on my to-purchase list. I spent quite a bit of time modifying the hex-bar linkage system that came with the carbs by installing bearings in place of the sloppy ball sockets. There was no better option at the time but now that the cable system is out there go for it.

Other things to know if you go dual IDFs:
- timing gets set at 12* BTDC and tops out at 28*; I had to modify my dizzy to do this by bending the stop tabs so I only got 16* of mechanical advance; stock dizzy is the best, discard 009 if you have one
- if the manifolds you get don't already have a vacuum take off for the brake booster you will need to drill and tap one
- fuel pressure regulator is required to limit pressure below 3 psi

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: BN4 with dual webers-I need help Reply with quote

Thanks Xevin! I looked around and couldn’t find anything on it and figured I wouldn’t since it’s such an obscure combination.

Thanks!

Aiden
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: