Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Compression Ratio Numbers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Compression Ratio Numbers Reply with quote

Does this look right?

I am shooting for a CR of 7.3:1

Bore 94mm
stroke 71mm
CC 66cc

According to the calculator the deck height would have to be 1.76mm to achieve a CR of 7.3:1

Doesn't that seem like excessive shimming??

(Is the stroke the same for all stock 2.0L engines with a stock crank and a 94mm bore?)

Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you figured in the dish volume of the pistons?
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Have you figured in the dish volume of the pistons?

yes. that is included in the "66cc"

52cc+(piston dish) 14cc

admittedly I was having trouble getting an accurate reading using the plunger type syringe that was sticking. I tried lubing it up and everything, but nothing helped enough to make it really smooth. So, I am presently in the market for a burette to double check those numbers with more accuracy.

but disregarding that for a moment, does the number for the deck height seem high? I thought i was shooting for somewhere in the neighborhood of .040 yes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deck heights of up to .060" are okay, but I would rather have the tighter deck and a bit more compression. YMMV
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.75260 mm or 0.069". I am running .060 shims water cut steel shims from RIMCO to get 7.3:1 so you are close to what I have. Do not stack shims together to get your number. You need one shim for each cylinder. CC each head in case one is off. Make sure the plugs are all the way in.

Also - you will have to bolt down the cylinders to get the real deck height. You can't just slide the cylinders on and let them sit freely. Use something like this - you can ignore the run out gauges and just use feeler gauges. Look at the hold down clamps:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I measured the deck height tonight using a feeler gauge because a dial indicator was over $100 at the auto parts store. (But I found a more reasonable one online at Menards and I will get it tomorrow).
However, with a feeler gauge at TDC the deck height measurements were this:

Cylinder #1 .026
Cylinder #2 .016
Cylinder #3 .021
Cylinder #4 .022

I CC'ed the heads and piston dishes again tonight. I got a better plunger type syringe that moves more smoothly. I feel comfortable with saying that these numbers are at least within 1CC of being correct.

Cylinder #1 52.5CC + 15CC= 67.5CC
Cylinder #2 51CC + 15CC= 66CC
Cylinder #3 50CC + 15CC= 65CC
Cylinder #4 49CC + 15CC= 64CC

Stroke= 71mm

So, with these numbers (which I will double check the Deck height numbers with a dial indicator tomorrow), If I use an .030 shim on all of the cylinders, my compression ratio for each cylinder would be:

Cylinder #1 7.3:1
Cylinder #2 7.6:1
Cylinder #3 7.7:1
Cylinder #4 7.7:1

If I could use different size shims on all 4 of the cylinders to get a 7.3:1 compression rate all around (or as close to it as possible). The shims I would need on each cylinder would be:

cylinder #1 .030
cylinder #2 .050
cylinder #3 .050
cylinder #4 .060

But I think you are going to tell me that I have to use the same size shims on each cylinder. right?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes - the shims have to be the same so the cylinders are the same height.

Did you bolt the cylinders down with a bar of steel or aluminum like the photos? If not you will need to do that to get accurate measurements. ALSO measure the deck height at the CENTER PIN line on the piston because they rock in the cylinders.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Did you bolt the cylinders down with a bar of steel or aluminum like the photos? If not you will need to do that to get accurate measurements. ALSO measure the deck height at the CENTER PIN line on the piston because they rock in the cylinders.

But if the deck heights are different without shims and you use the same shims on all cylinders, the cylinders will be all different heights with shims too.

I did bolt the cylinders down much like the photos above. However I was using a feeler gauge tonight to check the deck heights, so i could not measure at the center pin since the steel bar does not travel over the center pin (except over the dish on the piston). Tomorrow I will hopefully have the dial indicator and can set it up to measure above the center pin.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your case was decked wrong or your cylinders are wrong the difference is in the rods, pistons or both.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
SGKent wrote:

But if the deck heights are different without shims and you use the same shims on all cylinders, the cylinders will be all different heights with shims too.

I did bolt the cylinders down much like the photos above. However I was using a feeler gauge tonight to check the deck heights, so i could not measure at the center pin since the steel bar does not travel over the center pin (except over the dish on the piston). Tomorrow I will hopefully have the dial indicator and can set it up to measure above the center pin.

Busberd, color outside the lines . . . once you *trust* your measuring consistency and numbers, you can do things to match up your CCs. I use a razor blade to dress the combustion chambers, maybe gently skive the piston crowns and dishes. Sometimes inconsistency in the combustion chamber volumes will suggest that you look more closely at your valves, and you find out the machine shop did not "set" the valves on the seats consistently (Autolinea is great at that, with new heads!). If you have a grotesque mismatch of volumes, and good valve margins, you can grind the seats down a bit (3-angle all the way for proper contact width) and that will open up your cc's on cylinders that need more. Check your installed stem heights if you have to go this route. If you have a ledge in the head spigots, you can have your local machinst lightly kiss the quench area on the lowest CC combustion chambers and this will not change the important requirement to have absolute consistency in cylinder head-to-barrels-to crankcase dimensions.
Colin
(didn't you rebuild not too long ago?)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can lay a perfect flat edge across the cylinders and check for evenness. If they are uneven the case needs to be decked.

You MUST measure at the centerpins. Use your fingers to feel between the top of the feeler gauge and the top of the cylinder. All I use the runout gauge for is to be sure I am at the top of the stroke. Usually just sliding feeler gauges under the tip may move the runout gauge enough that it loses zero. You hands are very sensitive to changes in height.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how it's illustrated in the Tom Wilson book. Notice he uses sockets and washers to hold the cylinders against the case. And I would highly advise against skimming anything off the top of the pistons. You need to measure everything again, but more than likely the case needs to be decked.

**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:

The heads bolt across two cylinders, if you don't use the same thickness shims on at least the same side of the engine, the heads will not seal to the cylinders and likely crack and warp and thus become nothing more than waste metal.

How badly worn is your block where the cylinders mate against it? Sometimes that area needs to touched up by a machinist.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:

(didn't you rebuild not too long ago?)

It was 2006. Remember that rebuild, Colin?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190614&highlight=

My session with you came while I was trying to get it running. If I recall correctly, you were pissed at the guy. Smile Yeah, so I am trying to make the best of a bad situation now. Last fall I lost compression in one of the cylinders. (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535770&highlight=) I don't have the time or the money now to fully crack the case and do it ALL over, so I am doing what I can to get a few more miles out of this engine before I totally tear it down.
I thinking it was slapped together with not too much care particularly. I think the old guy at the shop let his apprentice do my engine. That is what it seemed like anyway. I am scared of what I will find if I crack the case.
So i want to do the best job I can with the facilities I have and learn enough along the way to apply that knowledge later for my next step with this engine once I am employed again.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway, I got the dial indicator today and these are the readings I got. I measured along the line of the wrist pin on both sides of the top of the piston and I got different numbers.

#1 F=.029 B=.020
#2 F=.020 B=.012
#3 F=.022 B=.028
#4 F=.018 B=.019

So I think I am going to add .040 shims to the cylinders to knock down the compression ratio numbers a bit. I'll be left with a compression ratio somewhere between 7.3:1 and 7.7:1
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can I use valve grinding compound to even out any imperfections in the mating surface between the case and the cylinder in the same way that i lapped the mating surfaces between the cylinder and the heads?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusBerd wrote:
can I use valve grinding compound to even out any imperfections in the mating surface between the case and the cylinder in the same way that i lapped the mating surfaces between the cylinder and the heads?

you are getting into a scary area. How do you know the difference is not either piston to wrist pin differences or rod length or cylinder length. Did you buy a set of new cylinders or do you have some that might have been mix and match?

To me it says time to get the straight edge out and see where the difference is.
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
How do you know the difference is not either piston to wrist pin differences or rod length or cylinder length. Did you buy a set of new cylinders or do you have some that might have been mix and match?

To me it says time to get the straight edge out and see where the difference is.

Not a bad idea. They are definitely a "mix and match" set.

I am maxing out at what i can afford to do for the engine at this time. I am just trying to do with what I have got and get the bus rolling again. I am sure there is a deeper rebuild in the near future. The silver lining is that I am learning a bunch now on this partial rebuild that will help me to make better choices on a full rebuild.
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: lapping cylinder to case Reply with quote

The only way you can lapp the cylinders to the case is to pull the studs
and use Automatic dish washing soap like Cascade and make a gritty paste
from it.

You Don't want valve grinding paste inside your engine Idea
BusBerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: lapping cylinder to case Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
The only way you can lapp the cylinders to the case is to pull the studs

Oh yeah, of course. Embarassed I forgot I can't spin the cylinders there because of the case bolts. sheesh.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: