Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebel wiring harness questions thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

If you mean the very heavy gauge red wire (8awg or 10awg I think) then yes it goes on the 8mm stud with the 4awg (typical size) battery cable.

Not sure what you're asking about "fusible link".

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Thanks Lo Cash the picture below shows what I am talking about it was in a separate bag marked Fuse Link.

6 inches of wire with connector crimped on
a Connector
and a piece of shrink tube
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

As a guess.... I would say fuse-able link is to be inserted between terminal on starter solenoid (same place as battery cable as Locash John suggests) and the "main hot lead" going forward to power fuse block and ignition switch... Personally I do not use them... Yes they may be a good idea but I do not see need (maybe short sighted on my part) ... My feeling is if you have a failure of fuseable link some where on the road the only solution is to find what has caused it to blow, and bypass link with solid wire till link can be replaced.... Many cars and VW 's have had solid wire for main supply for many years and never had a problem....

For me it would be a matter of your preference If you feel better with it in line, use it, if you are not worried about having it, forget it...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
VTghia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

LoCash John, keep those wire up pictures coming!
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

I'll post some in a few days. It's 90% done and owner has been driving it. I still need to wire hazards, interior light and rear window defrost grid and it'll be 100%

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Another question if you don't mind. I was expecting to wire the horn as typical by switching the ground. I have Two horn wires, one labeled "Horn" the other labeled "Horn Switch" any Idea which one should go to the Horn?
I am assuming "Horn" but not sure and I hate poking and hoping when it come to wiring.

I sent an e mail to the Rebel folks a week ago but no response. very disappointed.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

The Green Horn wire is power to the horn from the horn relay. Needs to be run out and under the fuel tank to the horn, or where ever you choose to mount it. The horn will also need a good ground run to it.

The Black wire with horn switch runs to a ground to trigger the horn relay. The VW designed horn is a normally open ground and closes to make ground when the horn button is pushed on the steering wheel.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Thanks Joe!
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find the wire gauges for wires in the rebel wire kit? I have the vw bug universal harness and it is for a buggy. This is to make sure I have correct type of connectors.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

karu wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find the wire gauges for wires in the rebel wire kit? I have the vw bug universal harness and it is for a buggy. This is to make sure I have correct type of connectors.

IF wire fits snugly into terminal it probably going to work... The correct size terminal for unknown wire, not sure on out come.... Usual test after crimp is try to pull terminal off wire, if you can not its most likely good... Quality of crimp tool will also mean success or failure.. Recommend spending $30-40 for ratcheting tool over $9.99 for almost crimper from FLAPS..

OR go to local electrical supply or big box or wherever and get wire gauge tool...

Or if you have calipers...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Forget the jewelry part AWG is AWG)

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Thanks Dale. I have a caliper but the wire being stranded, I am not sure if it gives the correct gauge. I will try it though. I guess a 'rough' estimate should work anyway for connectors.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Measuring stranded wire will not give accurate results because there is some air space between strands. Still, it will give you a good idea, just round down but never up. If you're off by one size it wouldn't be the world, 12 volt wiring is sized for limiting voltage drop more than wire heating.

It amazes me, some of the deluxe wiring systems I see on a simple Buggy. Some of these have more circuits than a stock Bug. My hat is off to you, I do enough wiring at work and like to keep my Buggy KISS (Keep It Simple S...) I put 2 fuses in the back. From one a 10 gauge wire goes to the headlight switch and other always hot loads. From the other a 14 gauge wire goes to the ignition switch and to all the things that only work with the key on.

My main concern with the stock Bug wiring, and to a lessor extent Buggies, it the amount of unfused wiring. This includes the main run to the front and quite a bit more on stock Bugs. Anything before a fuse or fuesable link has the power to burn wiring up in the event of a short.
VTghia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Send a message to Jeremy1984 (Samba member and Rebel contact) or use the "contact us" form on the Rebel Wire website
http://rebelwire.com/contact.php
They are good about returning questions.
Gary
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

VTghia73 wrote:
Send a message to Jeremy1984 (Samba member and Rebel contact) or use the "contact us" form on the Rebel Wire website
http://rebelwire.com/contact.php
They are good about returning questions.
Gary

Thanks for the tip. I will try to contact him. As for the link, I tried it so many times and cannot get past their 'robot check'. Tried it so many times including voice. No luck.
Jeremy1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

karu wrote:

Sorry guys, I checked my PM inbox earlier and didn't see anything, but one came through on my phone.
The wire gauges range from 10ga for the main fuse panel feed, 12ga for the ignition wires to feed the panel, 14 for coil, start, wiper power, ac/heat power, hi-low beams, 16ga for rear lighting, turn flasher, hazard pwr, radio power, gauge power, horn pwr, and 18ga for engine sender wires, front turns, and park lights. If you need more information, let me know. I usually catch PM's quicker, or you guys can email me directly at the shop email [email protected] I know the captcha on the website can be a pain!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeremy1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
The Green Horn wire is power to the horn from the horn relay. Needs to be run out and under the fuel tank to the horn, or where ever you choose to mount it. The horn will also need a good ground run to it.

The Black wire with horn switch runs to a ground to trigger the horn relay. The VW designed horn is a normally open ground and closes to make ground when the horn button is pushed on the steering wheel.

Thanks for answering this Joe, I wasn't even aware that I missed it. I always check emails first thing in the shop. I meant to tell you that we also changed our horn to a keyed hot, had a couple columns that would ground out the steering shaft with the lock mechanism when the key was out, triggering the horn. So we changed it to a keyed hot so now it doesn't matter if it grounds out. If you guys need anything the direct shop email is [email protected] So you don't have to deal with the contact form
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Jeremy1984 wrote:
karu wrote:

Sorry guys, I checked my PM inbox earlier and didn't see anything, but one came through on my phone.
The wire gauges range from 10ga for the main fuse panel feed, 12ga for the ignition wires to feed the panel, 14 for coil, start, wiper power, ac/heat power, hi-low beams, 16ga for rear lighting, turn flasher, hazard pwr, radio power, gauge power, horn pwr, and 18ga for engine sender wires, front turns, and park lights. If you need more information, let me know. I usually catch PM's quicker, or you guys can email me directly at the shop email [email protected] I know the captcha on the website can be a pain!

Thanks for the information Jeremy. This really helps.
cbgbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Hi , iam in the process of putting a 1969 manx style buggy back together . I went with a rebel wire harness and its kicking my butt. does anyone know if there is a diagram step by step for dummies ?
Jeremy1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

Email me tomorrow at [email protected] with where you’re at and what you’re stuck on. I can get you helped out with whatever you need.
cbgbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebel wiring harness questions thread Reply with quote

HI , ok I sure will , thanks Billy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: