Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't shift into gear
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that you have observed the throw out bearing move properly as someone pressed the clutch pedal.

The metal shavings on the shaft seem to be an indicator of an issue... Could the splines or the clutch disc splines be mismatched or crunched that they are binding?
deho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture of your pressure plate, Is it tightened all the way down? It doesn't look like it in the picture. The edge of your pressure plate should be inside of your flywheel.

Deho
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
I assume that you have observed the throw out bearing move properly as someone pressed the clutch pedal.

The metal shavings on the shaft seem to be an indicator of an issue... Could the splines or the clutch disc splines be mismatched or crunched that they are binding?

Yes I have Smile
Looks like the clutch disc moves on there properly (I did have to "finish" the splines when I first installed it as they didn't go all the way for some reason)
I wonder if those metal shavings are from the bearing/fork contact area seems like there was some shaving on the fork itself before I cleaned it.

deho wrote:
The picture of your pressure plate, Is it tightened all the way down? It doesn't look like it in the picture. The edge of your pressure plate should be inside of your flywheel.

Deho

No you are right the top 2 bolts and another one at the bottom were loosened already in the picture. What I was wondering is if the fingers on the PP were supposed to be pushed in towards the flywheel that much but apparently it's normal Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question about your picture. The bolts use to tighten te pressure plate down, is it touching the flywheel. I have only seen bolt with a washer. Just trying to help. If the engine is out Have you been able to push the clutch in and see how much the throw out bearing moves. It should move about .2 to .4 inches accourding to Kennedy Clutches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deho wrote:
One more question about your picture. The bolts use to tighten te pressure plate down, is it touching the flywheel. I have only seen bolt with a washer. Just trying to help. If the engine is out Have you been able to push the clutch in and see how much the throw out bearing moves. It should move about .2 to .4 inches accourding to Kennedy Clutches.

Good question, I'll go check right now.
These are the bolts I am using:
https://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1369
The throw out bearing moves much more than that actually. Kennedy told me it only takes 100 thousandths (.1") to disengage the clutch but the bearing moves quite a bit more than that, could that be a problem?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you are right, the head of the bolt does touch the flywheel, there are little indentations in the flywheel from it too .....
deho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke 2 pressure plates because I was moving the throw out bearing 0.75. It worked for a very short time then broke. After putting a stop on the clutch pedal at .4 inches. no further problems.
deho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pressure plate isn't being tightened properly because the bolts are not pushing the pressure plate all the way in. I would think this is a problem.
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, how did you measure how much it moved? I'm getting my new cross arm tomorrow from AC.net in the mail, and I picked up (another!) new bearing today from JBBugs, I will install it all tomorrow early afternoon as soon as the mail man drops off my AC.net package Smile
Now, for measuring, do I just set the clutch cable so that it doesn't pull the transmission arm at all?
And then, push the pedal all the way and measure how much it moved?

As for the PP, it looked like it was down all the way tight if I remember right it may even have been tight before the bolts touched the flywheel but still just a little under the 22 ft.lb torque (probably close to around 17-1Cool. My torque wrench broke so I need to go buy a new one (tried to fix that one but I can't ....)
VWNut_69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The washers hitting the flywheel is definitely a issue but probably won't help the going into gear problem as the pressure plate is farther away from the disc to start with and won't fully engage the disc with the pedal released. The new parts will tell the story.
Mike

Last edited by VWNut_69 on Fri May 17, 2013 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This couldn't be an internal transmission problem right?
VWNut_69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say but while the engine is out you should measure the throw of the clutch pedal at the arm for the cable on the trans then recheck it after the engine is in just to make sure it isn't changing.
Unless of course it is all good when you are done then don't bother.
It may have been possible let for the pressure plate cover to flex towards the disc when you push the pedal since it wasn't fully seated on the flywheel. Its a stretch but you never know.
Mike
deho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My clutch pedal moved to far. The way I checked this was to have a friend push the pedal all the way down. While he is doing that you are measuring the front - back movement of the throw out bearing.. Once I stopped the overmovent(now at 0.40) Have not has any further pressure plate problems. When the plate broke I could not shift when the engine was running.
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I installed the new cross shaft (old spring because the new one was a different shape and smaller and there was no way it would fit).
Throw (while pushing clutch pedal with cable touching the arm but not pulling it at all) is 1.25" at the top of the arm and 0.5" at the bearing.
Also installed a new DRD gland nut (torqued to about 475 lb.ft with red loctite) and installed the pressure plate with stock bolts/washers.
We'll see if it works now Smile
deho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking on an update. Hoping this takes care of your problem.

Deho
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deho wrote:
Checking on an update. Hoping this takes care of your problem.

Deho

Thanks!
I've actually been pretty sick the last few days but starting to feel better now, hoping I can put it in tomorrow if I don't get called in to work Smile
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright so still no go, I decided to pull the trans last night to ship it out to KCR to have it checked out, boxed it up and all, called FedEx for a pickup and left it where I usually do for FedEx to pick up. Wife got home and said trans was gone, but there was a paper from FedEx saying 1st pickup attempt, and the package that was delivered from UPS earlier in the day was also missing ....... Looks like someone decided they could just come and take our stuff Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: