Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical Help,,Please?!?!?!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joebennettPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Electrical Help,,Please?!?!?! Reply with quote

Long story short, replacing the dash in my 73 SB. (among much else) thought I labeled everything correctly, buttttttt, after wiring up the new Glass Action dash, as soon as I turn the key to on,, the turn signal relay starts clicking, and the light on the dash is slightly illuminated/flashes on, no marker lights, jst clicking, If I engage the turn signals, they work as normal, and the hazards seem to work correctly, ok,, maybe not so short a story, Full disclosure, I replaced the fenders with fiberglass also, but I did run grounds to them,,,, Also, there is a connector with 4 wires on it, I belive it went to the "safety belt" light on the dash, and is connected to nothing now,,,
Its a 73,, but im using the schamatics for the 74 from the Bentley cause it has a alternator
what sucks is, this is the first thing I have tried since I started the rebuild, and im already stuck
thanks for any help
joe
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, make sure you have the flasher relay wired correctly. You probably have a 3-prong relay. #31 goes to ground; #49a is the output and has wires running to the E-flasher switch + turn signal switch + turn signal indicator lamp in speedo; #49 (or "+") is the input and connects to the E-flasher switch. If your relay doesn't have these terminal makings it is probably the wrong type for your car.

Second, check that the trio of indicator lamps at the bottom of the speedo share a common 12v+ input. It is the black (sometimes green) wire connecting the bottom terminal on the speedo with the fuse box. If you look closely you will see that this wire connects to the terminal that touches all three bulb holders. Often people mistake this connection for a ground connection, it isn't. If you mistakenly grounded this wire you might experience the symptoms you described.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Rex lucy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tis problem with a 74 thing while working on gas gauge. I must have shorted out the fuse next to steering wheel and it caused the blinker [ no turn signal] to function as soon as the key was turned on. upon replacing the fuse the problem stopped. I think it it was bleed back thru a bulb that was causing ground. don't really know just know that when i replaced that fuse everything worked ...
joebennettPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
First, make sure you have the flasher relay wired correctly. You probably have a 3-prong relay. #31 goes to ground; #49a is the output and has wires running to the E-flasher switch + turn signal switch + turn signal indicator lamp in speedo; #49 (or "+") is the input and connects to the E-flasher switch. If your relay doesn't have these terminal makings it is probably the wrong type for your car.

Second, check that the trio of indicator lamps at the bottom of the speedo share a common 12v+ input. It is the black (sometimes green) wire connecting the bottom terminal on the speedo with the fuse box. If you look closely you will see that this wire connects to the terminal that touches all three bulb holders. Often people mistake this connection for a ground connection, it isn't. If you mistakenly grounded this wire you might experience the symptoms you described.

Are you talking about the high beam/turn signal, generator lights? There are some tanish/brown wires I thought were grounds,,, Will check out tomorrow,, Thanks Ashman!!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joebennettPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may understand,, the black green wire is hot(12v+) the others (blue green,blue red ect,, are switched grounds from the senders?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joebennettPA wrote:
I think I may understand,, the black green wire is hot(12v+) the others (blue green,blue red ect,, are switched grounds from the senders?

This is correct!

Now the next question usually goes like this...
Q: "Wait, if the blue wire connected at the end of the turn signal indicator bulb holder runs to a switched ground source... how does the turn indicator light up? It is connected to the 12v+ output of the flasher relay (#49a)???"

A: Because the European style flasher relay used in the VW Beetle (when operating) flashes/alternates between 12v+ and GROUND. When it is outputting 12v+ the turn signals in the corners will light. When it is GROUND the speedo indicator will light.
This differs from US-style flashers that alternate between 12v+ and OPEN. Which is why you must use the correct flasher relay.

Try disconnecting the turn indicator in the speedo and see if everything works normally. If it does, you have a bad relay, or the wrong one.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: