Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do I use to paint the top?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:

NO Exclamation
You can not roll Imron Exclamation

HVLP, clean dry air, the professional setup.

Very Happy I think I took 10 years off Terry's life. I imagine him spitting his coffee all over the screen. I probably need to buy him a new one.

Sorry, hermano.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
nemobuscaptain wrote:

NO Exclamation
You can not roll Imron Exclamation

HVLP, clean dry air, the professional setup.

Very Happy I think I took 10 years off Terry's life.

Mine too.
The whites, marine products you can cheat with and roll or brush.
Automotive paint, real automotive paint, the good stuff needs to be sprayed, with a good quality gun, the appropriate system for air and filtration of the booth.

Orly Blue is a late model color, my favorite, not to be rolled, not way.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

If you really want to take years off your life, spray with skin exposed Exclamation

Link
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

I painted a motorcycle frame and other bits with two stage Imron (black with flattening agent to make it semi-gloss) back in 1992 and it still looks great today. As good or better than the original BMW finish.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

Penetrol
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Penetrol

Now you've done it...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
Penetrol

Peanut oil Wink
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

I wouldn't suggest rolling or brushing Imron.
Even without the kicker in it, it sets up faster than you can use the paint.

I like using my Binks pressure pot on anything longer than a car, with my Binks 2001 gun in the end it pours paint outa the nozzle, with almost a 3' fan on the end of the gun.
I can back off 2 ft. away from the object and lay heavy coats of paint on it.

I go around twice on a semi trailer, dump truck body, or boat.
I do have to be paying attention and move quick so the stuff doesn't start rolling off.

I don't care for HVLP guns, they don't throw enough paint fast enough for me.
With Imron, this can be a problem.
One pass will be tacking up as your laying the next down, you'll have zebra stripes all over.
Gotta lay the Imron down wet.
And the Imron is only supposed to be reduced 10% max, so the paint will strart turning to jello faster than you can possibly roll the paint on, deeming what you have in the roller pan worthless.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

Ill tread carefully on this topic. Whats the saying?Opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one. Interlux is great stuff.I used it on my boston whaler with great results. Color match is an issue however. When I painted my last few vanagons fiberglass tops I used the same paint I used on the rest of the van. I sanded the fiberglass carefully with 320. I then seal the top with sealer, followed by a very light coat of sem urethane chipguard. This adds some durability and helps to get the factory texture back that you may lose a bit from sanding all failed paint or chips,scratches or imperfections. Also applying sealer will build things up a little You really just mist it over the top very lightly. Again some may not need this step if your tops texture is good after light prep. I then followed up with my urethane clear. I used ppg's esc500 I think its the best clear they have right now, I had it left over from the vehicle overall spray. Any urethane base clear combination will work just fine for the top and I wouldn't worry to much about going high end up there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

You're going way over the edge here with the base clear application.

Two word's you totally forgot about here.
Cheap & easy.

You have a compressor & paint gun.
99.9% of the vanagon crew doesn't know what you are talking about, costs way too much money to get the equipment, and if you are rolling and brushing that base clearcoat paint job, go ahead and elaborate to the multitude how you got this done--in an apartment building parking lot--for no more than about 80 bucks.

Go for it--
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

casey79westfalia wrote:
Ill tread carefully on this topic. Whats the saying?Opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one. Interlux is great stuff.I used it on my boston whaler with great results. Color match is an issue however. When I painted my last few vanagons fiberglass tops I used the same paint I used on the rest of the van. I sanded the fiberglass carefully with 320. I then seal the top with sealer, followed by a very light coat of sem urethane

Terry has recommended Interlux in other threads for the roll it on crowd and says its good paint.... and far better than rustoleum for the roller and brush types. I never took him to be saying its bad paint, he obviously just doesnt like rollers.

He lives in a different world than most of us. I wouldnt be surprised if he has a dozen compressors, and probably the same amount of welders and torches. To him "clean dry air" and paint booths are a given. Most of us have no compressor or have just enough to run basic tools and certainly dont have a dedicated (no oil in lines for other tools) 80 gallon at least tank 220 compressor with high end filters.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
You're going way over the edge here with the base clear application.

Two word's you totally forgot about here.
Cheap & easy.

You have a compressor & paint gun.
99.9% of the vanagon crew doesn't know what you are talking about, costs way too much money to get the equipment, and if you are rolling and brushing that base clearcoat paint job, go ahead and elaborate to the multitude how you got this done--in an apartment building parking lot--for no more than about 80 bucks.

Go for it--

I guess we got sidetracked, I never saw mention of cheap and easy. I used the left over product I had from painting the vehicle. Op seemed to voice concern for color match so hence my opinion. I'm actually answering the original posters questions. Personally I never recommend rolling or brushing your car unless you don't have a spray gun or access to one. Heck I don't roll patio furniture. Op said he has a spray gun so I offered my opinion knowing that. I had a total of $76 in materials which I can measure based on a digital mixing scale. It will list $ totals based on paint weight. Yes I do paint work professionally daily. So I woukd ballpark around $500 to have it done professionally. If you must do it at home then spray can it, brush it or roll it with your product of choice. I think everyone these days over thinks this stuff. In one respect these vehicle are getting very valuable so a little money spent is an investment. If your painting the vehicle and the pop top at the same time then absolutely go base clear or single stage if you must on the top and body. Let me know if I can help at all. It's fun stuff to me.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

The one and only bonus here is coming up with a duplicate of the exact factory surface after a guy rolls the intelux or petit boat deck & hull paint, just by using the right roller .

Because these paints are self leveling, they will lay down to duplicate the factory textured effect with no problems.

Your tops are too slick by blowing the material on.
You over reduced the paint or clear too much getting it to lay down pretty smooth which isn't correct.

The boat urethane is a simple solution.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
The one and only bonus here is coming up with a duplicate of the exact factory surface after a guy rolls the intelyx or petit boat deck & hull paint, just by using the right roller .

Because these paints are self leveling, they will lay down to duplicate the factory textured effect with no problems.

Your tops are too slick by blowing the material on.
You overreduced the paint or clear too much getting it to lay down pretty smooth which isn't correct.

The boat urethane is a simple solution.

You really don't know what your talking about when it comes to paint in this day in age. You usually follow up everything with "I was talking with a friend who's a pro this weekend on urethanes" . I guess in an Internet forum you have some fans that will listen to your opinion. Who's bringing your vans to restore. You always try to challenge me. Let's see some of your pics. You always post a lot of technical babble and no show. I don't reduce my clears ever. My top is not level ay all. I added texture to bring it back.you never read you just respond. Let's start seeing some pics of your work. I'll let Terry run the forum guys. I'm tired of this.i try to help only to be ridiculed by this guy everytime.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Last edited by casey79westfalia on Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

Casey,
With all do respect to many others here, we have the ability to properly paint things, with professional tools.
Most are looking for a rattle can or roll on application that they can DIY and not spend a lot of time and money...BUT they want it to look great and last.
Good luck with that.
Sure the whites can be done that way, but colors, not so much...with automotive paints.

Tintable bedliner is an option for the DIYers too.

TK, I have a pressure pot and thank you for the heads up on flow and amount of product being sprayed, I read you loud and clear.

For both of you, I have been using 3M Rocker Protection Spray, applied via the PPS system, not the can, to blend any bodywork to the Westy tops.
Very slick system and infinitely adjustable texture pattern can be achieved.

IIRC Casey did similarly in his thread, different product perhaps.
It works great.

Exclamation I do own "professional tools" and have a personal workshop, I am not for hire, just incase you preceive my posts that way, thank you Exclamation
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

When I first responded I purposely wrote" I will tread lightly on this topic"knowing tk would jump all over this topic and try to be the know it all. I just wanted to show what worked well for me. He just doesn't play well in the sandbox .
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

Casey,
Your van is turning out beautifully Exclamation
I so enjoy watching your thread.
Keep it up and let me know via pmail if you come into any stumbling blocks Syncro wise.
I would love to help you.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

Thank you kind sir. Always offering solid advice with no criticizing of one's methods. I will surely need your help along the way. Let me know know if I can help at all . waiting for his long winded response when all I did was offer some knowledge. Can't it just be left at that.....
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

I'm really on the fence on this one. I went to my paint jobber and we shot the (unfaded) back of the cargo section with his color matching gun and matched it up with the best looking chip. As it turned out, the line he was able to mix for me in that color doesn't include single stage urethane, so it's base/clear if I want the match. My original plan was to prep the roof, then foam roller it in place with single stage.

I'm sure I can roll the base coat on but clear can be funny. In my experience, it doesn't dry to the semi-durable handslick consistency that single stage does; it remains a little gooey as it's curing and I fear that the roller will create a giant mess when I go for the second coat of clear. It would have to be timed just right.

Of course, spraying would be easier and quicker but atomized clear gets everywhere (even with a turbine gun) and I don't want the stuff flying around the garage - and waiting for perfect outdoor conditions is a drag, which I've had to deal with too many times over the past couple of years. I'd rather do this myself than pay my paint guy to do it.

What say ye? Has anyone tried to roll on more than one coat of clear? Any body guys want to weigh in?
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What do I use to paint the top? Reply with quote

Just a heads up if you roll the basecoat the color won't be right. As even spray pressure can change the color. To get the base to spray the color you see on the chip it needs to be sprayed at the right pressure and right amount of coats. I wouldn't roll two stage paint.

Really all that makes the paint single stage is they add a clear binder (mixing clear) to the base mix. Even my computer at work will tell me certain color is not available in single stage. The mixing clear is not perfectly clear so it will add a little yellow to the mix, but for your purpose should work just fine. What I do is mix up the color I want in basecoat only first in a paint line that I can get a good color match. Make sure you only use Solvent base for this. Then I pull up another color in a single stage mix of the same amount I mixed in base to see how much of the clear binder is used then I throw it into the base mix and it works just fine. You may have trouble getting a paint jobber to mix up this way. Hope this helps.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: