Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not starting
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68Mccabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Not starting Reply with quote

Alright, I have a 68 bus wich will not start. I've replaced the starter switch, the wire all the way back to the starter, made sure the starter was bolted on nice and tight, no silicone, duh, and it starts when pushed. If I pull the starter or if I pull the engine and put it back in it starts for about a week and then nothing. I've shorted the starter directly from the battery and that seems to work so I'm pretty sure the starter is OK. The battery is less than two years old and has pleanty of amps, or so the guy at checker tells me when I had it tested. If I push it started and drive for a while, it will start with the switch. Push the switch when its running and I get the nasty "all ready running, dummy" sound. So if anyone has something the I haven't checked already let me know, I need the exercise but pushing the van with my daughter inside is kind of embarassing.
BluBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be the ground strap by the tranny. I run a separate ground strap from one of the starter bolts to the battery.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older starter solenoids build up internal resistance which can overwhelm the 20 or so feet of wiring from the battery to the ignition switch and back to the solenoid. Replacing the starter solenoid/starter will take care of it for a while. But if you want to prolong the lifespan of your current starter, install a Ford relay. That acts just like a screwdriver across the terminals.
One of the big Ford connections goes to the starter solenoid 13mm nut connection. The other big Ford connection goes to your solenoid spade terminal that is supposed to be the wire from your ignition switch. Then the little Ford connection is the new home for that wire from the ignition switch. See?
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem that came with my bus when I bought it about three years ago. Wouldn't start after the first time I shut it off. This in the middle of the night, got called a fag by a carload of drunks. Called the PO after walking a few blocks to find a phone. He told me it push starts real easy, which it did, once I found someone to help.

This happend a few times more, without the drama, but it did get old. I did some research on the web and learned that the wiring is such that the electricity has to travel pretty far over normally old wires, and that this can cause difficulty with starting after the engine (or maybe the wires?) is warm, and that this problem is fairly common. I also learned that the Busdepot sold a fix that is similar to what Colin describes. It's called a "hotstart fix" or something like that. I installed it per instructions without understanding much of what I was doing and the problem went away. I don't recall it as being too expensive, and it was pretty easy to install. Good luck,
Rich
'72 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68Mccabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advise. I think I might just look into buying a new starter/selinoid and solve the problem. It's probaly the original starter anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: