Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
I just bring a tall glass of warm water out with me in the morning. dump it over the windshield and the little bit of ice we get here just goes away.

Don't ever do that if you have a tiny stone chip or deep scratch in the glass Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the mistake of using a garden hose on a frozen windshield one- didn't break it but it had 2 " ice on it before it started to melt.

Back to the thread, I run the orange seal with the spring packed with grease and drive it in 1/2 way and dribble locktite red round the other half and seat the seal a fingernail deep in the bore. so far so good.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sabo seal came in the mail today. Good quality stuff. The spring is just as heavy as the old school Goetze seal I pulled out when I tore town the engine. Definetly thicker than the springs on the elring seals I have seen. Also an honest 12mm thick for those with the deeper cut cases.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

Old topic but it was news to me. Had a leak on the test stand on a Type IV re-build with a new Victor Reinz main seal. Replaced the seal with another Victor reinz seal. No leak on my test stand. Good, deliver it to the customer all seems well. After about 50 miles of running bus is leaving one drop after being driven. Engine had to be pulled and I replaced the seal with a SABO. So far so good. I see that very slight scratch on the OD of the VR seal. Really ticked me off to go through all this work and risk pissing off a customer.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've got seal leaking issues. This is on the 1975 single cab, which has an 1800-cc Type 2 engine in it. A couple of years back, I had new P&Cs and heads put on it (from Adrian), and the work was done by an old school air-cooled mechanic in Santa Fe. Upon reassembly, he noticed the leak, and pulled out the engine again to replace the main seal. The leak persisted, and he blamed the flywheel for being grooved.

That stayed that way until last summer, when I finally got a chance to pull out the engine and do a bunch of service, including the front main seal. In anticipation, I had got a new 215-mm flywheel (AVP, according to aircooled.net) and matching pressure plate and clutch. This'll fix it!

Upon removing the old flywheel, I could detect no hint of any groove. So much for that theory. I used the new one anyway, since the old one did have some worn teeth. Although SGKent had advised that I get the new flywheel and PP balanced, I could not find anyone in the state to do so, so I just went with what I got. I asked aircooled.net to ask the manufacturer (AVP) what tolerances they generally build to, but never did get an answer.

I also went with the Sabo seal, through GoWesty. I mangled the first one trying to get it in, and wished I had a tool like this:

SGKent wrote:
my seal is bottomed. I used this tool.

Steve -- where did you get that? I need one. I suspect that pounding on the seal with a rubber mallet may not be the best installation practice.

So, the engine is strong and wonderful, but it still leaks like crazy. I'm going to have to pull it again this summer, and I want to get it right this time. (Isn't that all that we ever want?) I have another Sabo seal ready to go. And some Curil-T. And I would like to use the proper installation tool.

Then there is still the question of runout balance on the flywheel and PP. How important is this? And, if it is critical I expect it is, to you racing folks) then where do I get this done?

Like most of you guys, I am frustrated by all this. I have some buses that never leak a drop (and I hope I never have to remove the flywheels on those!) but this one is leaking pretty badly.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
there is still the question of runout I have some buses that never leak a drop (and I hope I never have to remove the flywheels on those!) but this one is leaking pretty badly.

The Road Warrior spoiled me with a leak-free 588,238 miles on its original flywheel with grooves all over the sealing surface. I had gone through every possible position to get the lip to ride in a new spot, and had just begun to re-use old grooves with a double-lip seal. The graphite-impregnated flywheel o-ring is a critical part of a leak free repair. It is graphite-impregnated. It has a silvery look. I have seen some flywheel seals sold with no graphite. The graphite is important. Look also for any little nicks at the end of the crankshaft where the flywheel bolts up. A nick can damage the o-ring.

I have yet to have a leaky front seal with the Sabo hd seal.
Colin
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

OK. Well, I know I had the nice graphite O-ring in there.

I am concerned about methods of emplacement for the seal. Is it OK to just press it in there with a block of wood and a mallet, or does it need more finesse, like with the tool that Steve posted? I'm guessing not everyone has a tool like that, so how do people go about getting the seal in nice and even?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

I will be doing this soon, and using the Sabo seal. Like jtauxe asked, I too would like to know, how are you guys seating that seal? The tool Steve used is pretty difficult to find and/or priced out of my range for a (hopefully) one, two use tool.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

I just did this job AGAIN. Evil or Very Mad I ended up using a small piece of 3/4"-thick plywood, and tapped it in with a mallet, trying my best to keep it in line. I think it went in fine. This is the fourth seal in a row for this truck. Test drive... and it is still hemorrhaging oil.

I am now thinking that it is not the seal at all... maybe one of the pressed-in gallery plugs? But I changed three of those out for threaded inserts. And I saw no evidence of leaking on those when the engine was out, either.

Today it was suggested to me that I may have too much crankcase pressure. I suppose that is possible. This is an 1800-cc Type IV engine with dual Weber carbs, FWIW.

How do I determine if there is too much pressure, and how do i go about fixing that? Time for a new thread?
vic74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

Is there a groove in the flywheel where the seal rides? After umpteen thousand miles that soft rubber seal can cut a groove. It's not as bad as it sounds though, they make repair sleeves to cover the damaged area. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,197...eeve,10524 I have used speedi sleeves on non vw vehicles with good results. I'm sure you've checked the flywheel sealing surface by this point in the game but that's my first thought.

Excessive pressure seems like a possibility too. Pull the hose from your breather, rev it up, and see how much blow by you get. How much is too much? Kinda hard to say, but you usually know it when you see it Laughing Sounds like a fairly fresh rebuild if you have tapped galley plugs so excessive pressure would be less likely than a worn/tired engine. I know worn valve guides and weak rings could cause excessive blow by. Maybe a leakdown test might shed some light? Maybe a restriction in the breather system? Wish I had a little more to offer ya. Good luck!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

vic74westy wrote:
Is there a groove in the flywheel where the seal rides? After umpteen thousand miles that soft rubber seal can cut a groove. It's not as bad as it sounds though, they make repair sleeves to cover the damaged area. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,197...eeve,10524 I have used speedi sleeves on non vw vehicles with good results. I'm sure you've checked the flywheel sealing surface by this point in the game but that's my first thought.

Excessive pressure seems like a possibility too. Pull the hose from your breather, rev it up, and see how much blow by you get. How much is too much? Kinda hard to say, but you usually know it when you see it Laughing Sounds like a fairly fresh rebuild if you have tapped galley plugs so excessive pressure would be less likely than a worn/tired engine. I know worn valve guides and weak rings could cause excessive blow by. Maybe a leakdown test might shed some light? Maybe a restriction in the breather system? Wish I had a little more to offer ya. Good luck!

Brand new flywheel, with no grooves.

I am wondering about excessive pressure, but since this is carbureted, there is just a simple breather box on top of the crankcase, and I can't see how any pressure could be building up.

Leakdown test, eh?
vic74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

Sounds like you've pretty much ruled out the main seal as the culprit. I should have read further back before my last post. Embarassed A leak down test could show a problem with ring/cylinder sealing but I don't think I would do one unless I saw signs of excessive blow by. If your carbs or breather filter are an oily mess it might be a good idea.
I've heard of diesel mechanics using cubic feet/hour meters or manometers to measure blow by. Sounds like you have more than one bus, so comparing the 2 even visually without any kind of meter should give you a pretty good idea.
What a tough spot to diagnose an oil leak! Really hard to find a leak when you can't clean the area spotless and watch the problem area while the engine runs for the first sign of oil. Next time you have it apart I wonder if it's possible to run compressed air to oil galleys to test the plugs. I'm thinking draining the oil, removing the oil pump, pressurizing the output port and watching for leaks at the plugs (covered in soapy water). Maybe someone with better knowledge of the oiling system will know if this is as crazy as it sounds or actually possible Laughing
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

Is this thread still correct with the findings people posted? I'll be pulling my engine for the first time and I would like to do this job right the first time.

Is this the Sabo seal I need? (this is the only one I see on their site).
http://www.gowesty.com/product/mechanical/3944/flywheel-flexplate-seal-rear-main-?v=

What else do I need for this job? Rtv? Oil?

Someone mentioned removing the existing seal by screwing screws into it to pull it out, is that a good idea?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Is this thread still correct with the findings people posted? I'll be pulling my engine for the first time and I would like to do this job right the first time.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/mechanical/3944/flywheel-flexplate-seal-rear-main-?v=

Someone mentioned removing the existing seal by screwing screws into it to pull it out, is that a good idea?

Yes that is the seal you want. Note that it is available through others if you have a reason to be ordering a part through another major online supplier.

You didn't say why you are going in there that far, but if you have even moderate miles on the clutch disc, pilot bearing, and tranny input shaft seal, you may want to replace them even if they look fine. You also want to replace the flywheel o-ring.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

Yes that is the seal you want. Note that it is available through others if you have a reason to be ordering a part through another major online supplier.

You didn't say why you are going in there that far, but if you have even moderate miles on the clutch disc, pilot bearing, and tranny input shaft seal, you may want to replace them even if they look fine. You also want to replace the flywheel o-ring.

After a trip to death valley I developed an oil leak bigger than what I normally have and the consensus was that my main seal was probably the culprit.

As far as the other parts are concerned, is that a job someone with limited skill and knowledge can do or is it something someone can mess up in a hurry? My knowledge is what's in the manual and what I can find on this forum, that's it.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

ivwshane - Are you able to pull the motor by yourself? That is 90% of the job.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

Using screws to remove a seal is common practice,you must be 'very' careful when doing it so you don't damage the shaft,if the shaft get marked it will leak forever more.The front seal is simple to remove after the flywheel is removed.

1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ivwshane - Are you able to pull the motor by yourself? That is 90% of the job.

We will soon find out!! I bought a harbor freight ATV Jack to help and I've got the ratwell guide bookmarked.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

How are the GoWesty seals holding up? I need to do this in the spring and want to use the correct seal. I used the orange Reinz seal last fall and it failed right away Rolling Eyes
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
How are the GoWesty seals holding up? I need to do this in the spring and want to use the correct seal. I used the orange Reinz seal last fall and it failed right away Rolling Eyes

When you put the next seal in, use a little sealer at the part lines. That will slow the oil leakage. Also check the seal lip area on the flywheel. Be sure to lube the seal well before putting the flywheel back on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: