Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Might be T4 Front Flywheel Oil Main Seal leak breakthough
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opinions or recent experiences with the brown VR seal?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
I have about 3000 mi now on the Gowesty Sabo OEM $29 seal and no leaks. Gawd its nice to have a clean dry engine finally.

Think it is time to get one of those and try it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Any opinions or recent experiences with the brown VR seal?

i have used them w/ good results.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:
I have about 3000 mi now on the Gowesty Sabo OEM $29 seal and no leaks. Gawd its nice to have a clean dry engine finally.

Think it is time to get one of those and try it.

I'm installing a Sabo seal in couple weeks. Annoying leak has got me changing the flywheel as well.
Having a better candidate balanced with current pressure plate then sticking Sabo seal in. Adrian said any main seal leak he couldn't fix with a new seal if he changed the flywheel he had the best result. Will see.

Remanufactured Flywheel from AVP, Sabo seal and fingers crossed.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up using my current flywheel as it was in good shape. The Sabo seal is working so far. 200 miles no leaks.

The seal I pulled was some brand I've never heard of. KTP maybe. The seal was so loose it would just come out by hand.

Mechanic suggested we use ultra grey on the new seal. I suggested just using oil but since he was going to warranty this fix I went with his recommendation.

Last edited by curtis4085 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any further updates on the SABO seal? Anyone have leaks starting again with one or is everyone still bone dry?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no drips here. Cool
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not been able to put more than few hundo on mine before the floods came. No leaks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
no drips here. Cool

how many miles +/-?
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 miles here and no leaks so far. engine that was just brought back from the dead and not a single drop on the floor from *anywhere* yet.

yes it has oil in it.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:
no drips here. Cool

how many miles +/-?

I had been running that seal since June of 2011. I pulled the engine about a month ago because I'd run out of valve adjustment on # 3 exhaust (using 911 adjusters- stock ones you wouldn't know they'd sunk so much), but still wasn't leaking. I drive 35 miles a day total going to and from work, some intense driving though. Twisted Evil Probably put ~10,000 miles on it, maybe more.

I put another sabo seal in the replacement motor, and after fixing a few initial drips (duct tape filler boot Smile ) it is now dry all around, the new engine, for a month only now. Cool
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine I am putting in my 83 1/2 POS Vanagon was dry as could be in the bellhousing and clutch area. Very little wear on the clutch and flywheel so someone had obviously just been in there fairly recently, though there was a pretty good build up of dirt on everything. It had a Sabo seal. Whoever had put in the last seal had beat the case hard enough around the seal bore to peen it a bit. The old seal was a total pain to get out as a result and I was unable to drive the new seal in until I went back and chamfered the bore a bit with a utility knife.

The old engine I am pulling out I am pretty sure had a VR seal and the clutch area has a nice layer of black sooty looking oil everywhere. This seal has 30-40K on it, who knows how long it has been leaking as there was never enough of a leak to cause a drip or any other sign on the outside of the bellhousing. This engine had very poor compression, close to zero and a lot of blowby as a result so any leaks anywhere would have been exasperated by the higher than normal crankcase pressure.
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's seal time chez melville, and this time I have the Matra tool. What's the word on T4 seals, flush with the case or bottomed in the seal bore?
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

melville wrote:
OK, it's seal time chez melville, and this time I have the Matra tool. What's the word on T4 seals, flush with the case or bottomed in the seal bore?

My mechanic set mine flush. No leaks. Sabo. Was interesting to see how much tighter the Sabo seal went in compared to a 3k mile one we replaced.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flush or driven fully in (a difference of a millimetre or two) shouldn't matter as long as the snout on the flywheel is in good shape and doesn't have a groove.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
Flush or driven fully in (a difference of a millimetre or two) shouldn't matter as long as the snout on the flywheel is in good shape and doesn't have a groove.

Agreed, if you have a groove then setting the seal out by a mm or two can give the flywheel sealing surface a new lease on life.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The no drip thing came to an end for me last week. It was the first really cold week here in the OC, and I'd not changed from the 20w50.

I went to 10w40 this past weekend, wiped it up, mostly from the inspection plate area, seems partially the oil pump seal, maybe the fan seal, or even one of #2's pushrod tube seals maybe; mostly at the back. But there was also a small bit of dampness from the bell housing part.

I wiped it up, and with thinner oil even, the leak isn't near as bad as it was the first 2 days it appeared my work parking spot got 2 big drips, both thursday and friday. Yesterday just 1 small drip, off the little bit of case casting on the right rear that the motor would sit on.

I'll post in a bit if the flywhhel drip comes back or not with thinner oil/lower pressure in the cold weather.

Before you go poking fun about how warm it is in so cal, I will say the temps say low of 41 last Wednesday, but it must have been colder because I got the rare joy of scraping ice off my windshield with the end of a 2x4 at 4:30am that day. -they don't sell ice scrapers here, that I have seen. Wink
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
I got the rare joy of scraping ice off my windshield with the end of a 2x4 at 4:30am that day. -they don't sell ice scrapers here, that I have seen. Wink

Tip: a plastic credit or rewards card is a much more civilzed way to do that Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
nathansnathan wrote:
I got the rare joy of scraping ice off my windshield with the end of a 2x4 at 4:30am that day. -they don't sell ice scrapers here, that I have seen. Wink

Tip: a plastic credit or rewards card is a much more civilzed way to do that Wink

Funny, my Canadian coworker told me the same thing when I told him my story. You would think I'd know this, since I grew up in Buffalo, NY. Laughing -every car in Buffalo has its own ice scraper under the seat I guess. Smile
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bring a tall glass of warm water out with me in the morning. dump it over the windshield and the little bit of ice we get here just goes away.

to try and keep some bus content here, my flywheel seal is still perfectly leak free on my green bus (so thats about 5 months of service so far)

my blue bus still had the cheap rubber dipstick tube boot, and after a whole 1 year of service it went to hell already.

I replaced it this time with the Viton one and hoping it'll be a while before I have to address it again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: