Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I got profiled
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of all the people in here that I know, Stuart should be the one with a "profile" - which could be anything - story. Young, loud music, drives fast, erratic at times, bus looks a bit haggard at times.... Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Of all the people in here that I know, Stuart should be the one with a "profile" - which could be anything - story. Young, loud music, drives fast, erratic at times, bus looks a bit haggard at times.... Laughing

Laughing

haggard? thank you Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suffecool2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: I got profiled Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:
I got a little close to him because he slowed down to 25 to do that and then continued to drive slow as if he didn't know where he was going. I decided I would pass him so I looked in my right side mirror, got in the right lane and passed him . . . .

Sounds like at least two vehicle code violations to me.

tootype2crazy wrote:
Have any of you ever been pulled over simply because you drive a bus?

But since we're making assumptions, you probably would have been pulled over in a Honda minivan for driving like that.

^^^^ what he said. Not trying to be a dick, buuuut, you can't pass on the right, no matter what the doofus does in front of you does,you're supposed to be so many feet , or seconds away (depending on your state) from said doofus Laughing
I used to live in a town w/some REAL ASSHOLE cops, never once got pulled over in my old bus. Drove like I would if I was taking a drivers test at all times in town, was usually carrying weed Laughing (don't do that shit now), so it was good motivation Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: I got profiled Reply with quote

suffecool2 wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:
I got a little close to him because he slowed down to 25 to do that and then continued to drive slow as if he didn't know where he was going. I decided I would pass him so I looked in my right side mirror, got in the right lane and passed him . . . .

tootype2crazy wrote:

But since we're making assumptions, you probably would have been pulled over in a Honda minivan for driving like that.

^^^^ what he said. Not trying to be a dick, buuuut, you can't pass on the right, no matter what the doofus does in front of you does,you're supposed to be so many feet , or seconds away (depending on your state) from said doofus Laughing
I used to live in a town w/some REAL ASSHOLE cops, never once got pulled over in my old bus. Drove like I would if I was taking a drivers test at all times in town, was usually carrying weed Laughing (don't do that shit now), so it was good motivation Cool

dont see what the problem is if there was a lane there and it was empty...simply avoiding a collision shouldnt be a crime.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suffecool2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: I got profiled Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
suffecool2 wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

tootype2crazy wrote:

dont see what the problem is if there was a lane there and it was empty...simply avoiding a collision shouldnt be a crime.

Still can't pass on the right, if he was far enough away he wouldn't have had to go around on the right. I'm not perfect, I do dumb shit sometimes as well, just playing devil's advocate here Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: I got profiled Reply with quote

suffecool2 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
suffecool2 wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

tootype2crazy wrote:

Still can't pass on the right, if he was far enough away he wouldn't have had to go around on the right. I'm not perfect, I do dumb shit sometimes as well, just playing devil's advocate here Twisted Evil

He could have told the officer that he had changed to the right lane on a 4 lane Blvd or Ave, for a smoother flow of traffic. Works every time!
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: I got profiled Reply with quote

suffecool2 wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:
tootype2crazy wrote:

tootype2crazy wrote:

Sorry but you guys are wrong. Where I live, on a 4 lane road, there is nothing wrong with getting in the right lane to pass somebody in the left lane. It's done all the time. Not only that but I stayed in the right lane after going around him, so for that matter I was just getting over. I am looking at the Missouri driver's handbook as I type right now and I was not in the wrong.

From the book:

Passing on the Right
The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:
• When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn;
• Upon a city street with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction;

• Upon a one-way street;
• Upon any highway outside of a city with unobstructed pavement of
sufficient width and clearly marked for four or more lanes of traffic.

Thank you to the others who posted their amusing stories, I especially appreciated the one about the amber alert.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)

Last edited by tootype2crazy on Mon May 13, 2013 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's always illegal to pass on the right, I hate it when folks do that, since you don't expect em there. Exception would be around town of course, or if the guy in the left is driving below the limit, then you are not really passing, as much as he is falling behind you Laughing

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fusername wrote:
I think it's always illegal to pass on the right, I hate it when folks do that, since you don't expect em there. Exception would be around town of course, or if the guy in the left is driving below the limit, then you are not really passing, as much as he is falling behind you Laughing

or you are in europe. Razz

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The night I dropped my bus off for my kids' use at college we went out to the parking lot at 4:00 in the morning and found the local police crawling under it with flashlights doing what was surely an illegal drug search. They acted sheepish and let us go with hardly a word. Obviously they called ahead though for we were pulled just a few miles down the road by a stater supposedly because our just washed license plates with shiny two week old stickers were unreadable. During the time my kids were at college they would be pulled a total of 8 times without being ticketed once.

About a dozen years ago I got so tired of being pulled over and made to walk the white line for the crime of driving the speed limit that I decided never to drive under the limit again unless the bus just wouldn't do it. Went from being pulled once or twice a year for whatever bullshit reason they could dream up to being pulled only twice in the last dozen years, one was for obvious speeding where I wasn't ticketed and the other for making a left turn supposedly in violation of some mysterious non existent signage, a charge I am presently fighting.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Well if that ain't profiling I don't know what is. Nice story.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
pjalau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of a good story.

I'm driving through a canyon when my fuel pump dies. I'm about a mile from the campsite I was heading to, so I try to call a tow truck to take me there, then I'd deal with it in the morning. No cell signal. Eventually the local cops pull up and ask if I need a hand. I say sure- can you call a truck on the radio? I can't get anything out here. They radio in one for me and decide to hang out while it shows up.

Two cops - one much older, one who is literally 6th day on the force. Old guy stands back and has new guy ask me questions while the spot light is on my engine that I am trying to see if there is any chance of me fixing while I'm waiting.

"Where you from?" "Is this your car" "How long have you been driving today?" "Are you camping with other people?" He is asking all the questions that he already knows the answers too - and is checking to see if I'm going to lie to him. It's obvious.

My friend shows up behind us, he's a deputy, and is chatting it up with the older cop while newbie does the worst non-interrogation ever.

I look at my friend and the old guy and ask - "So, is this his first week on the force?" Old guy laughs and says, "It's kind of obvious isn't it?" All of us start telling the new guy that he has to be a little more subtle.

Then old guy talks about the good old days when all the drug dealers used VW's, and how none of them use them now since they need fast reliable cars. New guy is confused - "Don't all the VW bus drivers smoke pot?" We all crack up. My friend says to him "Son, you have to start watching some more recent movies. Our cars are so expensive, so slow, and so unreliable, that no decent dealer would use it as his method of transportation anymore. Look out for the Honda Accords and Toyota Rav 4's. That's what they use these days."

Old guy nods his head in agreement.

I give new guy a walk through of the bus and allow him to do a visual search "for practice" and then point out all the places he didn't look. Then I remind him that I'm only showing him the places he can see without tearing the bus apart. Bottom line "If you can't see it, you won't find it, this car is a rolling stash box, you would have to tear apart the entire thing, and there are better ways to waste your time."

We chat for a little longer, they thank me for letting the newbie practice, I thank them for the help, they drive off.

Eventually the truck shows up, hooks me up, drives me to the campsite. As we unhook and I sign off the paperwork, he says "Hey, nice bus, I remember when I was a kid, I used to use a bus to run pot up and down the sierras - watch out for the local cops." I tell him I don't think I need to worry about them anymore.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The night I dropped my bus off for my kids' use at college we went out to the parking lot at 4:00 in the morning and found the local police crawling under it with flashlights doing what was surely an illegal drug search. They acted sheepish and let us go with hardly a word. Obviously they called ahead though for we were pulled just a few miles down the road by a stater supposedly because our just washed license plates with shiny two week old stickers were unreadable. During the time my kids were at college they would be pulled a total of 8 times without being ticketed once.

About a dozen years ago I got so tired of being pulled over and made to walk the white line for the crime of driving the speed limit that I decided never to drive under the limit again unless the bus just wouldn't do it. Went from being pulled once or twice a year for whatever bullshit reason they could dream up to being pulled only twice in the last dozen years, one was for obvious speeding where I wasn't ticketed and the other for making a left turn supposedly in violation of some mysterious non existent signage, a charge I am presently fighting.

You are spot on. I know more than a handful of police officers....and in college i actually ended up with an alcohol related arrest. the car was stopped so the charge was reduced and dropped...long story.

But anyway for a year I as on a restricted licernse...work and school only. the police officers I knew ...nice people...and a district attorney nd a couple oflawyers all informed me of a few "profiling" style details.

At any given time...there are literally thousands of people in any city driving on a resricted license. Also..even though most are on the straight and narrow...typically the times listed to drive do not take into acocunt working late.

The police officers I have met...have told me that a sure way to draw attention is to meticulously drive ...perfect....perfect dead bang on the speed limit. Long blinker patterns... exact movements...like you are worried about getting pulled over. Most of the time they expect someon with a light buzz...which can sharpen your driving skills until you get drowsey....and/or...people on restricted license.
they will either follow you until you screw up....or pull you over for something....plasusible.
Drive 2-3 mph over the speed limit like you are cofortable and have nothing to worry about. Avoid tunnel vision. Ray
dr.bones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: got this also Reply with quote

I was in barber shop getting my trim,there was sheriff in there.well some where in the mist,he argued that he could search my bus and find something,i replied "go ahead barney,what you gonna do arrest me for rust?"
he got so pissed the lady changed the subject to cool things down for us.and I am always asked wheres Scooby and the gang which I hate,it happens when you own a bus.
Paintedbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was profiled today, mr policeman really didn't like the stickers on my bus. According to him, i need some special sticker on the windshield, lol. I actually just got away with a warning. Got that new sticker though! He liked my bus and let me go because i have a clean record and he didn't want to ruin that. Today i am a lucky bastard.

~"Paintedbus" Ken~
The Mobile Muralist
WWW.PAINTEDBUSART.COM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
I was driving along in my bus just now, it was about 8:30 central time, the sun had already gone down. I was driving behind a guy in the left lane of a four lane road and he slowed down at street like he was going to turn left, but then let off the brakes and kept going. So naturally I got a little close to him because he slowed down to 25 to do that and then continued to drive slow as if he didn't know where he was going. I decided I would pass him so I looked in my right side mirror, got in the right lane and passed him, never going over the speed limit. I did not swerve or speed. So then I see red and blue lights in my rear view mirror as well as the cop's spot light shining right in my eyes. This was quite disorienting but that's beside the point.

So I turned into the first street on the right and got my insurance and license out. He walked up with his flashlight and peered into the back of my bus which is full of cleaning equipment as I run a cleaning business. He said good evening sir, shining the flashlight right into my eyes obviously checking for nystagmus or redness. He asked where I am going, I told him the department store. He looks at my insurance card and says, "Yep 79". He asked me what I do for a living, I tell him I run a cleaning business and he noted that I must use my van for that and I said yes. He said I was following that guy in front of me too closely and swerved around in my lane and asked if I had been drinking. I explained to him what that guy did and told him I have not been drinking. He was like "OK" and then asked me if I have any warrants for my arrest. Razz I told him no and he went back to his car and checked my license and then returned a few minutes later and said I was free to go.

He clearly profiled me based on my bus. He was checking in on me to see if I was a pot head or drunk. I do not look like a hippy, and I don't smoke weed. I found it kind of amusing. Have any of you ever been pulled over simply because you drive a bus?

so - tell me, when you met your wife did you know her from childhood or did you profile her out of a crowd? We all profile others every day. The goal is to do it for the right reasons - see a guy who looks angry coming down the street with clinched fists and gritted teeth - do you run towards him yelling "Fred ole buddy haven't seen you in a long time, how the heck have you been - or do you duck away and keep your eye on him plus pull out your cell phone and get ready for 911? Cop saw you make what he thought was an aggressive move and he was just making sure things were cool.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta say I am getting sick of you knuckleheads accusing me of driving poorly. If anything the guy in front of me was driving poorly. I was trying to make a light hearted thread here, not get bashed over and over by a bunch of crusty old geezers with nothing better to do than insult fellow ACVW owners. Why are people on the internet such jerks to one another?
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
I gotta say I am getting sick of you knuckleheads accusing me of driving poorly. If anything the guy in front of me was driving poorly. I was trying to make a light hearted thread here, not get bashed over and over by a bunch of crusty old geezers with nothing better to do than insult fellow ACVW owners. Why are people on the internet such jerks to one another?

just ignore the negative comments. i enjoyed the small story, and the others that followed. i skipped the lame comments about whats right and wrong (after asking something...oops) its funner just to read the stories.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:

whoa and wow.
Romy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjalau wrote:
Reminds me of a good story.

I'm driving through a canyon when my fuel pump dies. I'm about a mile from the campsite I was heading to, so I try to call a tow truck to take me there, then I'd deal with it in the morning. No cell signal. Eventually the local cops pull up and ask if I need a hand. I say sure- can you call a truck on the radio? I can't get anything out here. They radio in one for me and decide to hang out while it shows up.

Two cops - one much older, one who is literally 6th day on the force. Old guy stands back and has new guy ask me questions while the spot light is on my engine that I am trying to see if there is any chance of me fixing while I'm waiting.

"Where you from?" "Is this your car" "How long have you been driving today?" "Are you camping with other people?" He is asking all the questions that he already knows the answers too - and is checking to see if I'm going to lie to him. It's obvious.

My friend shows up behind us, he's a deputy, and is chatting it up with the older cop while newbie does the worst non-interrogation ever.

I look at my friend and the old guy and ask - "So, is this his first week on the force?" Old guy laughs and says, "It's kind of obvious isn't it?" All of us start telling the new guy that he has to be a little more subtle.

Then old guy talks about the good old days when all the drug dealers used VW's, and how none of them use them now since they need fast reliable cars. New guy is confused - "Don't all the VW bus drivers smoke pot?" We all crack up. My friend says to him "Son, you have to start watching some more recent movies. Our cars are so expensive, so slow, and so unreliable, that no decent dealer would use it as his method of transportation anymore. Look out for the Honda Accords and Toyota Rav 4's. That's what they use these days."

Old guy nods his head in agreement.

I give new guy a walk through of the bus and allow him to do a visual search "for practice" and then point out all the places he didn't look. Then I remind him that I'm only showing him the places he can see without tearing the bus apart. Bottom line "If you can't see it, you won't find it, this car is a rolling stash box, you would have to tear apart the entire thing, and there are better ways to waste your time."

We chat for a little longer, they thank me for letting the newbie practice, I thank them for the help, they drive off.

Eventually the truck shows up, hooks me up, drives me to the campsite. As we unhook and I sign off the paperwork, he says "Hey, nice bus, I remember when I was a kid, I used to use a bus to run pot up and down the sierras - watch out for the local cops." I tell him I don't think I need to worry about them anymore.

I think I remember when this happened. Or at least hearing this story before Smile

I've only gotten pulled over one time. The cop was a dick and was trying to get his quota at the end of the month. I yelled at him; he got scared. I was in the military at the time and looked the part. It was kind of funny. Since then, I've grown my hair and looked more the part of a pot smoking hippy, but I've never been profiled because of it. Maybe it's partly a CA/NV thing.

I did get pulled over in my baja for a DUI checkpoint. I had a link-pin beam strapped to the roof rack. The cops were more interested in the baja than in trying to find drunk drivers.

1977 Bus - ASI Riviera
1972 Bus - Westy converted to Adventurewagen (Bubbles)
1970 Baja Bug
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: