Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine and trans fitment questions for my 64 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not really want to grind and clearance my trans since I need to change it. Could still be a option. I have a lead on a 67 swing axle and I do believe they are 12v. Hopefully it will bolt in and work.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 1 engines are interchangeable on type 1 transmissions as far as bolt pattern, clutch arm alignment, etc. The flywheel is not as simple but do-able in a coupla' hours. The 12 V flywheel (200 MM), will not fit into a '65 and back transmission without grinding off some clearance points (shiny areas) as is shown here the last time I did it. The 6 V starter will engage the flywheel and will last a long time with 12 V power. If you want to change the starter to 12 V, you must change out the bushing for the starter to one compatible with the 12 V. Or - you can install the 12 V auto-stick starter which requires no bushing. That's what I've done on a few occasions as shown here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't know how direct the interchange is between swing axle and IRS transmissions. Lot's of folks here know that off the top of their head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mlew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Engine and trans fitment questions for my 64 Beetle Reply with quote

I am looking to replace the engine in my 64 Beetle and wanted a little more power that the stock 40hp that’s in it now. I have my eye on a 1600 dual port that is ready to install. Will it be a direct fit or is there any modifications that will need to be done?
The car is currently 6V and I want to convert to 12v since the new DP engine has a 12V generator. Changing the lights and other things is straight forward but I am confused about the differences in the 6V and 12V flywheels. I wanted to replace the transmission at the same time because it leaks more oil than the engine does it is hard to shift even though I have replaced all the shift bushings. I am a little confused on which way to go.

What year transmission do I need to match to the 12V flywheel on the new engine that will bolt into my 64? I am thinking that any 12V swing axle trans will bolt in, am I right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: