Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon discrimination
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could go to Moab... no long driving until my van gets back after 6/10 from Stephans.
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slo356 wrote:
Come to think of it, Syncro owners don't have enough money left to discriminate against anyone! LoL...
Laughing Laughing maybe they should all pool their money? Wink
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
Yeah... I'm as sharp as a bag of door knobs, guess I read into the Syncro events too much (Syncro envy) Laughing

MEMO TO SELF: Be really careful of your next topic...

Not to worry! I was kind of wondering if some of the events were all inclusive, some directly invite 2wds, but others aren't as clear and/or list specific vehicles,.

One recent event looked Super fun, forget what/where it was. It wasn't a Vanagon event though, some other 4wd one on some private farm that invited Syncros along with other 4wd vehicles. They'd dug out the middle of the farm to make a great track that looked like something I'd take a dirt bike on, but certainly not my Vanagon, Syncro or not. I might tip it and dent it! Clutch handles are expensive enough, can't imagine the cost on a repair of a big old dent and painting it too! LOL

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
brownbus78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevhum wrote:
I think you are thinking of splitwindow bus owners discriminating against baywindow bus owners..It happens. Laughing Laughing

That's when the real mudslinging starts no pun intended. I love the old air cooled's myself but it's hard not to notice the animosity some of those guys have towards people with a different body style bus or folks like us who, God forbid drive a water cooled bus Twisted Evil Just keep in mind that those knucklehead haters represent only a small portion of the VW community. In most encounters you'll end up getting to meet a lot of way cool people from all walks of life.
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human nature divides.

Enlightenment includes.

I made that up but it's my way of thinking.

Chuey
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that the OP wants to go to syncro events and he is enlightened that he can and is invited to go and several members here with 2wd vans decide to make snide remarks about syncro owners.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Interesting that the OP wants to go to syncro events and he is enlightened that he can and is invited to go and several members here with 2wd vans make snide remarks about syncro owners.

I am so sorry I opened this can of worms due to my poor comprehension skills... Embarassed
1967 Bug- Gone
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to you at all TequilaSunSet.
I just find it odd that the only vanagon discrimination isn't from the syncro owners but to the syncro owners.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... I plan on going to some Syncro events once my conversion is done. Can't wait to camp out etc... and maybe I can learn some stuff through osmosis. Laughing
1967 Bug- Gone
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
One recent event looked Super fun, forget what/where it was. It wasn't a Vanagon event though, some other 4wd one on some private farm that invited Syncros along with other 4wd vehicles.
tam

Called NW MogFest in Sheridan, Oregon, in mid-August. It's sort of becoming SyncroFest or SdM of the PNW. But 2wd vanagons/buses are welcome and there are plenty that come.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I just find it odd that the only vanagon discrimination isn't from the syncro owners but to the syncro owners.

That's been my experience too. Laughing
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
ACK... MODS please delete my giant mistake!! Embarassed

I'm not sure you're entirely wrong... Isn't mammoth treffen syncro only?
(and and probably for good reason based on the event details!)
Still, even things like "syncro"fest allows other veeehickles.
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are more Syncro events because the owners like to goof around with them and it gives everyone something to talk about while they are gathered and having fun. Here in the NW there are lots of Vans of all shapes, sizes, and capabilities. I can't begin to count the number of chat sessions I have had in parking lots, gas stations, etc. I have owned 7 different vans, all 2wd and no westies.
I have always wanted to go to the Mogfest in OR but it's never been good timing for me to do it.
There are some super sweet rigs here in town and I love getting the tour of a nice one. The owners are very proud of their hard work in making them nice and I have never met a rude van owner here.
It sounds like you are an event person. You should not only go but maybe get involved in helping? There is always stuff to do to help and it's a fun way to meet people and see what everyone is up to.
My current van is a beater looking thing but it has these HUGE Mercedes rims and tires. I love it and drive it everyday. I wouldn't be ashamed to show up at an event in it. It's ugly, it has a bit of an exhaust leak, the bumper covers are all missing, there is a dent every square foot, but it runs like a top and I love it just the same.
I am saving my money for a 91 Multivan - Periwinkle color, and will equip it with a 1 wheeled trailer and travel the country with my wife on a big adventure!

Cheers,

David
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuey wrote:
Human nature divides.

Enlightenment includes.

I made that up but it's my way of thinking.

Chuey

I think you have a winning bumper sticker there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Vanagon/Bus/Aircooled/Whatever rivalry is not nearly as ruthless and dumb as the watercooled crowd in my experience. It's impossible to have a conversation about MK1/MK2/MK3 etc. GTI's without it turning into a pissing contest.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
No offense to you at all TequilaSunSet.

I did not read or hear any hate toward Syncro owners, just maybe something about the $$ needed to maintain. For the most part I think we all get along, however the Syncros are the Marcia Brady's of the family; always getting all the attention. First question anyone asks me about my Doka is.....

"Is it a Syncro?"

Often I feel like shit when I gotta say, no it's just a lowly 2WD, worth about $10K less. Yes I know that "feeling" "attitude" is my own responsibility and I am dealing with it. I would never feel unwelcome in a Syncro crowd, in fact I would be ultra excited to watch their stuff, while at the same time trying to drum up the 2WD pride that makes all these vans so awesome. There are so truly impressive 2WD out there with cool mods and just as worthy of excitement.

I have vowed to myself that I will not be a sucker for the next 2WD Vanagon I see for sale cheap, my next T3 will be a Syncro or bust.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camerahunter wrote:
I think there are more Syncro events because the owners like to goof around with them and it gives everyone something to talk about while they are gathered and having fun.

Au contraire, Pierre. Wetwesties alone hosts between 8 and 10 PNW camping events annually that are mostly 2wd's. Then there are the independents like Maupin RendezVW that have splitties/bays/vanagons mixed. Then Portland has it's own group that gathers periodically but also has one or two campouts per year -- the next one is this weekend in E. WA. In NorCal there is the Camper Family with campouts and .... many other vanagon gatherings as well all along the left coast.

There are comparatively few syncro events but I think they achieve notice because they are action oriented so draw the attention of the wannabes with visions of daring adventure.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luVWagn wrote:
I'm not sure you're entirely wrong... Isn't mammoth treffen syncro only? (and and probably for good reason based on the event details!)

Because of the nature of the event, Mammoth Treffen (a newer event) is implied syncro only -- I'm not sure a 2wd owner would want to take their rig where they go .... maybe ride along Very Happy I'm not sure I'd want to take my syncros where they go Shocked But in this case it's not because they don't luv 2wd vanagons, it's more of a practical thing.

Syncro Safari is syncro only and limited to 10 rigs only. Like Mammoth Treffen, the nature of the trek can at times require 4wd.
tiicosyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's like the relationship between a road cyclist and a mountain biker or a harley rider and sport bike rider.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
ACK... MODS please delete my giant mistake!! Embarassed

Watching.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Chuey wrote:
Human nature divides.

Enlightenment includes.

Chuey

I think you have a winning bumper sticker there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hey Joe, ENTITLEMENT is almost the polar opposite of ENLIGHTENMENT. Please tell me it was a computer error... Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: