Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon discrimination
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if the name of the event has the word Syncro in it, then the people going are looking for an opportunity to use their AWD/4wd capabilities. There are actually very few places that a Syncro is needed, so those of us with a syncro, look for places to go drive.

SyncroDeMayo has always allowed 2wd Vans, but they would delay 2wd registration, and give precedence to 4wd for initial registration, in case they got "too many" vans. That never happened. And this was the last year for that event.

SyncroFest has always allowed 2wd vans and they do not delay registration, or give priority to Syncros. You can definitely drive a 2wd Van around the green trails at Hollister. They take you to the places where you can watch the 4wd Vans on the obstacle courses. And, the campout in Area 5 is a fantastic time, even if you park for the whole event. Syncro rides are easy to come by too.

SyncroSolstice is an event that gives Syncros and opportunity to justify the owners investment in 4wd. The terrain requires it, but 2wd is welcome to go camp and ride.

The Lost Burritos is a group of Syncro owners that go to Big Sur several times a year. At least one 2wd has been on most of our get togethers. There is very little need for 4wd in the places we go, but it does help a little.

NWMogfest is a 4wd event, 2wd Vans are welcome to camp and watch, and ride.

VanORama is a parking lot get together for Vans, no matter if syncro or not.

Burning Van is a parking lot get together for Vans, no matter if syncro or not.

Don't be shy Tequila, you are more than welcome to attend any of the get togethers. But watch out for syncro envy, it will take even more money out of your pocket than your 1.8t conversion. Now a word of warning, a lowered Van, will not clear some of the ruts we drive over in Big Sur. In fact, a lowered van really does not belong on dirt, in my opinion. Syncros otoh, thrive in dirt.

There are probably many other get togethers that I am not aware of, but mostly, 2wd folk have no problem finding places to camp. Its the syncro folk that have trouble finding places to wheel. For example, I live in Santa Cruz. If I drive north along the coast to San Francisco, there is not one single place I have found that will give me an opportunity to use my 4wheel drive. Otoh, lots of places for a Van to hang out for the day, party, picnic, and play. Still no place to overnight camp for free though, with the exception of Davenport.

So, to the original question, why so many syncro events? Because Syncros are lonely Smile
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freudian slip! That's what I get for trying to post so early!

This is the best thread ever.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Interesting that the OP wants to go to syncro events and he is enlightened that he can and is invited to go and several members here with 2wd vans decide to make snide remarks about syncro owners.

Could you quote those snide remarks? I'm afraid that I don't see any on this thread..... Or they've been edited away..... Or I'm dumb and blind?.......

Think

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Could you quote those snide remarks? I'm afraid that I don't see any on this thread..... Or they've been edited away..... Or I'm dumb and blind?.......

Whoaa ... questions like this stir the pot, lead to argument and potential lock-down. Let it ride .... let it ride ....

I think the OP had a perfectly good question ... allowed an opportunity to clear the air about syncro event misconceptions ... a good thread ....

let it ride ...
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO discrimination against Syncros is really just Syncro envy for the most part. I wouldn't mind one but for the extra expense in purchase and speciality parts it's not worth it for the 4% of my driving where 4wd would come in handy. True 2wd vs my current 1wd would be nice though and I guess the finished picture in my mind of my van has a pre-runner-syncro-esk look.

I would LOVE to be in the passenger seat during some of those youtube vids of syncros blowing through sand berms with their nose in the air. Ride 'em cowboy! Or thrashing someone else's machine!

There may be a slight snobbery about tin top vs Westie though in the way Bman described the syncro-2wd relationship. Often I feel a little ashamed when someone asks if I have a stove and fridge when I say I have a VW van and I say "no, it's not a Westy, it's a 9 passenger vanagon..." Maybe that's Westy envy?

Harley vs sportbike rider though? Way too strong animosity there to compare. I just sold my classic 1983 Honda shadow and one of the shoppers brought his harley-riding uncle to consult. The whole time you could see on his face he thought it was a worthless pile of jap crap. Meanwhile if it was a harley I would hav had to spend 4x as much to keep it running half as well as that this was when I sold it. Harley riders generally also make it a point NOT to wave at anything but other Harleys, Indians, or Polaris. Apparently spending gobs of money on a brand new sub-standard american built piece of chrome means you're a real badass vs tuning an 1983 classic metric cruiser to within an in of it's life and making it purr and shine like it came off the showroom floor. I'm not bitter though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Harley vs sportbike rider though? Way too strong animosity there to compare.

yeah... I remember very well when I ride my Twin jugs motorcycle... animosity among bikers is plentiful - the bone shakers vs the rice rockets vs the flat twin etc etc..

Very Happy
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^
Cruisers vs. sportbikes
RUBS vs. SQUIDS
Harley vs. The world

I had both Harleys, Hondas and Kawa's... they all rocked in their own way.

Kawa- Nomad (Harley Knock off that Harley tried to sue over the sound as being patented- lost huge!) Fun bike, water cooled and much cheaper.
Honda- Shadow, Goldwing and kick ass Valkyrie
Harley-Ultra classic electra glide full dress... fun... dumb chick magnet Laughing

The best bike of all was the Valkyrie Tourer... mild cam,bat wing fairing, removable trunk-bags-saddle, 6-into-6 pipes (roared like a beast!)... and ate Harleys like it was at a all you can eat buffet! Some dumb races on the freeways and streets, actually made some friends... and a few not friends Laughing
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
The best bike of all was the Valkyrie Tourer... mild cam,bat wing fairing, removable trunk-bags-saddle, 6-into-6 pipes (roared like a beast!)... and ate Harleys like it was at a all you can eat buffet! Some dumb races on the freeways and streets, actually made some friends... and a few not friends Laughing

Yes, they are very tasty! I'm thinking my next bike will be a classic version of that...'82 or '83 Honda gl1100 (no fairing).

Sorry for the OT, Back to bashing syncros! Or was it Westies? Or Dokas...My tin top's better than anything else is all I know...nothing rusts like a west coast tin top....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo_tonz wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:

Yes, they are very tasty! I'm thinking my next bike will be a classic version of that...'82 or '83 Honda gl1100 (no fairing).

Sorry for the OT, Back to bashing syncros! Or was it Westies? Or Dokas...My tin top's better than anything else is all I know...nothing rusts like a west coast tin top....

1500cc 6 cylinder that sounds like a small V8... too much fun!! Go pick up a clean Valk w/o the dressings... you will not regret the fun!
1967 Bug- Gone
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discrimination is there.

not vanagon on vanagon

I've attended shows with my bay and had nothing but love and positivity tossed my way. Same show a year later with the van and people are saying "why you showing that" My answer is the same, I bring what decides to run that day.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
kennyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember in the early 90s(or was it in 89?) my dad and I took his syncro to the Brookline, MA gathering. Didn't get snubbed, but I think it was one of the first Vanagons to attend.
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Eurovans, OTOH ... .
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
First question anyone asks me about my Doka is.....

"Is it a Syncro?"
Often I feel like shit when I gotta say, no it's just a lowly 2WD

Don't feel too bad, I get it too.
I have had another driver flag me down to ask if my truck was a Tristar. I said "no, just a three door" and he said never mind and took off muttering that he thought that it was 4wd. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
It has happened more than once.

For those that don't know a tristar is a fancier model truck with 4 doors and are available in 2wd or syncro.

I have a 2wd and a pair of syncros and know that the idea that they are more expensive to maintain isn't true- accessories on the other hand...

Love your van whatever it is.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want throw my 2 cents in. IMHO, statements (I'm paraphrasing) "We will accept reservations from 2wd's, if not enough Syncros have registered..." or "Looking forward to seeing our Syncro friends..."

Maybe "discrimination" is too strong a word. However, there is definitely a 'bias' with preference to Syncros. This was the driving force behind the start of Van-O-Rama nearly 13 years ago and BurningVan a few years later. Which incidentally happens in the San Francisco Bay Area.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Bman wrote:
First question anyone asks me about my Doka is.....

"Is it a Syncro?"

Don't feel too bad, I get it too.
I have had another driver flag me down to ask if my truck was a Tristar. I said "no, just a three door" and he said never mind and took off muttering that he thought that it was 4wd. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
It has happened more than once.

For those that don't know a tristar is a fancier model truck with 4 doors and are available in 2wd or syncro.

I have a 2wd and a pair of syncros and know that the idea that they are more expensive to maintain isn't true- accessories on the other hand...

Love your van

Syncro whore! Razz
1967 Bug- Gone
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TequilaSunSet"]
syncrodoka wrote:

Syncro whore! Razz

That's not accurate. He is a flip flopping Syncro whore! And a nosepicker too. Twisted Evil

IIRC, he's the guy who harasses me when I don't drive my Syncro. So then I start looking for his dirty flipflopping SyncHro Doh-ka at Syncrofest and guess what?! He's in a boorgoondee 2WD!

Hey, Mary-O, are both your Doka's Tristar's? Twisted Evil
zippyslug31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
know that the idea that they are more expensive to maintain isn't true- accessories on the other hand...

Certainly been my experience. Yes, the syncro does have more moving parts that can go wrong, but they aren't (always) made out of gold-plated unobtanium.
My old 2wd seemed just as expensive to keep running.
'90 syncro westy 2.5L subi, triple knob, 16" wheels.
'84 sunroof van, 2.1L motor.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:

X2 ...
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:
Maybe "discrimination" is too strong a word. However, there is definitely a 'bias' with preference to Syncros.

Now Benster T .... I wouldn't even call it a bias in that case because it's like having an off-road motorcycle rally .... it's not a bias to suppose the Honda Goldwing Aspencades aren't gonna wanna do it. Also, often State and Federal lands have group size limitations.

But all syncro events I know of include 2wd'ers unless, of course, they can't cut the mustard like perhaps at Mammoth Treffen. Then the entire assemblage is waiting all day while the 2wd is towed along (unless it has a Peloquin) Wink

My understanding is SyncroSolstice had a number of 2wd vanagons with LSD's & rear dif locks show up and keep up pretty well in past years.
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
... I wouldn't even call it a bias in that case ...

I don't want to name names. Only recently were 2wd allowed to register at the same window of time as Syncro attendees. Just look at the archives of the various forums. The evidence is there for all to see. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: