Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Patina - Keep or repaint?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veedubfreak59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
Im sorry but the "patina" look is not a fad, I personally have always valued original paint, even with some dings and dents....for the majorty of my life I have rocked faded original paint cars, for some reason i just like the contrast between that and shiny wheels, and no, not because I couldnt afford to paint them.....its only a fad for folks who jumped on the bandwagon.....and slammed cars have been around since at least the 50's...I have pictures of my 73 year old father when he was young rocking a 50's belair a few inches off the ground with his club all driving slammed cars.
I truly think people are just hoping its a fad.......bad news for ya.

See, here's where the issue comes in. Faded paint is not the same as a rusty ass car. People seem to think rust is cool. You know it's gotten out of hand when people are taking brand new cars and sanding down the hood and rusting them out to be "cool". If you have a car that has OG paint, that's awesome. Trying to preserve "rust" and calling it patina is a completely different story. Rust by its very definition is decay, why let a car decay to look cool.
abritinthebay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
I personally have always valued original paint, even with some dings and dents....for the majorty of my life I have rocked faded original paint cars

Yes, that's real patina. The BS "patina" that we see at the top here? That's the fad.

It's basically rat-look but not wanting to admit it's a shit-heap. That's the fad. Charging extra because it's beat to hell and has "patina"? That's the fad.

Cars fading in the sun and with some wear? well that's a taste thing. Not the same thing.
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell im building a ghia right now that has hardcore patina and "decay" as you call it, and im rolling it as is, mainly because I can...but I would def not charge more for the wear. I make no bones when people ask me, "yea its rough and needs resto...by no means a survivor"
....and yes I TOTALLY disagree with making your car rust on purpose, if it isnt patina to begin with, either sit it out in a field for 35-50 years or dont call it patina. Fake patina is no buena with me....

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abritinthebay wrote:

Yes, that's real patina. The BS "patina" that we see at the top here? That's the fad.

It's basically rat-look but not wanting to admit it's a shit-heap. That's the fad. Charging extra because it's beat to hell and has "patina"? That's the fad.

Cars fading in the sun and with some wear? well that's a taste thing. Not the same thing.

jeez. could you be any ruder?

OK, so I called it the wrong thing, and my car is a shit heap, but you know what, I am going to rub it all back with an angle grinder, slam the car so that it sparks, then torch it for fun. just to annoy you.
abritinthebay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:

jeez. could you be any ruder?

Oh that was me being nice about that style. It's not specifically aimed at you directly, but at the bizzare faux-patina crowd in general.

Quote:
my car is a shit heap

Nothing wrong with a heap - some terrible cars started life as a heap. My own bus is only a few steps away from being a bit of a heap - but the point is that I know it's condition and I'm trying to improve it. Make it better. Not somehow pretend it's cool and laud it as awesome by preserving the worst parts. That's why I have a problem with the "patina" movement.

Quote:
but you know what, I am going to rub it all back with an angle grinder, slam the car so that it sparks, then torch it for fun. just to annoy you.

Eh, won't annoy me much, it'll more be a waste of your money. But sure...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half the Tom Tom was bare metal and it still looked better than the respray.
VintageVulture
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking the same price for a rusted " patina " car as a fully restored car, bus, bug, impala, what-have-you, that's the real fad. Seriously, thinking a patina'd out car with a big motor or slammed suspension is full-tilt is fine. It's a sought after look, I built my own bug that way even. No reason to get all panty bunched here. But... There is a huge difference between patina and what the original poster is asking. Patina is original fade, rusted metal through paint that's on surviving factory paint work, and on and on. This bug has numerous paint jobs on top of the factory work. My suggestion is to just make it shine again. We all have our opinions, asking advice on the samba is, well, kind of a crap shoot at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageVulture wrote:
asking advice on the samba is, well, kind of a crap shoot at best.

yeah... i kinda got that. I think a repaint makes sense, the rest of the car isnt in too great a shape either, now that I have removed more.
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Half the Tom Tom was bare metal and it still looked better than the respray.

Not!
veedubfreak59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I found my car. Some would call this patina. I call it rust. That is the OG paint. Well the hood and one corner got resprayed sometime in the early 60s because the woman who owned it rammed something. How is this in any way a good look?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my daily driver, I didn't want to spend another 10 grand on paint and body work like the 2 cars we have in the garage. I drive it and enjoy it, and get to park it wherever I want Very Happy

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veedubfreak59 wrote:
This is how I found my car. Some would call this patina. I call it rust. That is the OG paint. Well the hood and one corner got resprayed sometime in the early 60s because the woman who owned it rammed something. How is this in any way a good look?

Except for the high back seats I think it looks awesome...but hey, its my thing, always has been. ....but you can get it all shiney'd up if thats your thing, thats the beauty of personal preference. We dont have to understands each others personal taste but we should respect it.

"Nothing will ever be as nice as original paint, no matter how much is or isnt left"

"Those that confuse hoodride with the OG paint movement definitely have their wires crossed. Its all about preservation, pulling out its true potential while hoodride is about purposely making something look like a piece of shit." -SKIM
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
thats the beauty of personal preference. We dont have to understands each others personal taste but we should respect it.

Couldnt have been said better. It seems there are many immature, egocentric and insecure individuals that have no problem talking shit these days. Usually they do it behind someones back but with the internet they get a little more brave.
tacochris
OG Paint Archeologist

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
tacochris wrote:
thats the beauty of personal preference. We dont have to understands each others personal taste but we should respect it.

Couldnt have been said better. It seems there are many immature, egocentric and insecure individuals that have no problem talking shit these days. Usually they do it behind someones back but with the internet they get a little more brave.

Pretty much Alte....My wife likes ketchup in her mashed potatos, I think thats nasty as hell but I dont flame her everytime she does it simply because I dont like it "aw thats stupid, how could you like that, your stupid etc etc"
.......There are too many people in this world to expect everyone to believe like you do or even agree with you....I love a nice shiny restored car, BUT I personally dont want one......patina, hell even rust-ina is my IDEAL finish.

veedubfreak59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
veedubfreak59 wrote:

Except for the high back seats I think it looks awesome...but hey, its my thing, always has been. ....but you can get it all shiney'd up if thats your thing, thats the beauty of personal preference. We dont have to understands each others personal taste but we should respect it.

The highbacks went straight into the dumpster when I brought the car home. The car sat in a field with no roof for the last 30 years so anything inside the car was made out of a fine brown dust.
NewVWFan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tacochris wrote:
Im sorry but the "patina" look is not a fad, I personally have always valued original paint, even with some dings and dents.

I remember shows in the mid 1970's and plenty of cars with faded original paint. Was a West Coast thing for a number of year because the paint faded but didnt rust. I would say the Volks Rods are a Fad. But who knows, only time determines a Fad vs a Trend.

I hear the same thing that I did 40 years ago. Back then, people used to think Baja Bugs were a waste of Tin and a passing fad. Now, I hear how Volks Rods are chopping up and consuming the few bugs that remain.

Each to thier own I guess..
GREG.M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's your car do what makes you happy, but since you asked for our opinions I say sand it down and repaint it. (see sig)
6sixTinBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Patina - Keep or repaint? Reply with quote

Originally posted in 2013. Four year fad... not too shabby. Laughing

It is what it is
msksoccer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Patina - Keep or repaint? Reply with quote

Keeping this post alive... to show it's not a fad... working on a 56 Rag that I don't want to put a show room paint job on that I would then be afraid to drive to scratch... love that aged patina look at the ripe old age of almost 60
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Patina - Keep or repaint? Reply with quote

got a photo of it msksoccer?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: