Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ARB Awning
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Well, I got it installed. Now I really need to hit the road.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not sure if the mounting bracket is seated all the way. It seems like that bottom tab should move all the way in? I cranked pretty hard on the nut but it could go more.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katzenjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Lots of awning fans on this thread, but I'll ask this anyway: How consistently effective are these awnings (ARB or any other) at providing useful shade where and when you want it? Just to illustrate my concern, I've attached a promotional shot of the ARB "in use" (from the autoanything site). I don't see how the awning in this photo is really doing anybody much good.

Thanks,
Dan

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

As a person who lives and plays in a temperate rain forest, the awning is infinitely more valuable as rain protection. That works 100% of the time.

For Shade, well, that's nice too, but all depends on how you're parked compared to the travel of the sun, obviously.

Also, for a photo shoot as shown- they might've wanted it bright.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:
Lots of awning fans on this thread, but I'll ask this anyway: How consistently effective are these awnings (ARB or any other) at providing useful shade where and when you want it? Just to illustrate my concern, I've attached a promotional shot of the ARB "in use" (from the autoanything site). I don't see how the awning in this photo is really doing anybody much good.

Thanks,
Dan

If we're in an open desert area (or a parking lot tailgating) we situate the Vanagon so that the awning provides shade when deployed if possible. If we're using it for rain it doesn't matter.

I can say that in Moab last month, I didn't have my ARB on the van I took out there and I missed it terribly. It's another one of those accessories where you don't know how valuable it can be until you get one and use it (or have one and forget it...)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:

Accessories make an awning even more effective:

Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

I drop the poles for some shade. Less headroom, but plenty of seating space.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYOpF6bnD7k/?taken-by=andrewzer
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Keep the head room... just add spring clips & a sun shade...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LG1CB4K/ref=dp_prsubs_2

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
San Vancisco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
I drop the poles for some shade. Less headroom, but plenty of seating space.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYOpF6bnD7k/?taken-by=andrewzer

This is what we do too and it's very effective. Beautiful pic by the way.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:

Thanks,
Dan

Look at the shadow that dudes head casts on the van. Apparently he’s got a first row seat to an a-bomb explosion or a photographer’s reflective umbrella.

Looking for some shade? Check. Looking to keep the snow off of your deck. Check. An awning is wonderful (except in crazy wind).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

katzenjammer wrote:

Thanks,
Dan

That pic was taken at sunrise or sunset along the east or west coast. Something you have to realize when camping where there's no trees around to help give shade during the early morning or evening.

Craig
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Any good recommendation on how to get tree sap off the cloth? Mine got splattered while camping in Sequoia and then the splatters miultiplied when I rolled up the awning. I don't want to damage the cloth with a really harsh solvent but would like to get the black spots (they've been collecting dirt) off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Dab with some plain old paint thinner on a clean cloth...

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
OK. So no tamper proof nylon nut. Spent some time googling....

If I just get the tamper proof nuts, what would be the best lock washer to use?

i want to do something, because with just two nuts holding the awning to the van, it would take two people 30 seconds to walk off with it....

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I think the GoWesty kit uses 5/16" carriage bolts.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
... tree sap off the cloth? .... I don't want to damage the cloth with a really harsh solvent

"goof off" takes sap off immediately.
Maybe contact ARB and ask if goof off or goo-gone is OK.

$4.13 Goof Off FG705 Heavy Duty Remover Pump Spray, 4-Ounce Link: http://a.co/d/5FM1ZYJ

I think citrus solvent takes tree sap off, but a little slower. Pretty sure Goo Gone is citrus.

$8.00 Goo Gone Pro-Power Link: http://a.co/d/0odA7iv

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

I got mine installed. I used the ARB fabricated sheet metal roof rack bolt on mounts and bolted them to my Thule cross bars. Easy and very secure.

Smile
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Regarding cleaning your ARB fabric, here's some advice from ARB themselves via a email reply:

Quote:
" Mild detergent and a soft brush is okay on the top side. The bottom side has the FR coating, so we don't want you to use anything abrasive on that coating. Mild detergent and a soft rag. Rinse with water. Make sure these are dry when you store them (unfurl them and dry them out at a later time if you have to put them away damp) or they will mildew.

A strong detergent may cause color fading or spotting and there is water proofing built into the poly-cotton fabric, so you don't want to use anything that may degrade that."

Craig
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

Just want to give a shoutout to Mike (mtnbikemike) for showing me how to put up the awning by myself.

I looked like a fool trying to do this job myself Laughing
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Just want to give a shoutout to Mike (mtnbikemike) for showing me how to put up the awning by myself.

I looked like a fool trying to do this job myself Laughing

No problem man! That was a fun weekend in a perfect venue and your van is beautiful.

Now, if only I could stop daydreaming about that Karman-Gipsy...
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

No problem man! That was a fun weekend in a perfect venue and your van is beautiful.

Now, if only I could stop daydreaming about that Karman-Gipsy...

Thanks, man. Grandma spoiled me for sure. I enjoyed learning about your van too. I took some video - I'm working on editing it all.

The Karman-Gipsy was sure unique!
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: ARB Awning Reply with quote

20:20 hindsight lesson learned FYI. With a 8 foot ARB awning and a 13 foot rain gutter you have the choice to mount it as far forward or rearward as you please. My initial installation was full forward so I could have access to the front door whilst covered. I bought the ARB enclosed room (love it) butthat blocks the front door access/mobility so I moved my awning to full rear mount to fix my brain fart. Get it?
FYI as always..
BK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 33

Jump to: